Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut A30 vs. Synapse 25 — Capcity

I’m relatively new here, so forgive me if this has already been asked. I am thinking about adding an A35 for one-bag travel of 7-14 days. I went to Europe (Stockholm and Amsterdam) this past December with only my Synapse 25 (and a Sidekick inside the S25) and it worked like a champ. I’m going to Paris this April and am thinking an A30 might give me a little more room while still fitting all airline (KLM) carryon requirements. The A30 obviously has five more liters than the S25, but the S25 appears to have larger physical dimensions. What kind of sorcery is this? Does the more square shape of the A30 allow it to carry more? And is there any appreciable difference I’m capacity between the two bags?

Thanks for any input/advice!

Jon

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmn View Post
    my Synapse 25... worked like a champ. I’m going to Paris this April and am thinking an A30 might give me a little more room while still fitting all airline (KLM) carryon requirements.
    I travel KLM quite a bit and usually with an A45/S25 or a WF/S25 and I've never been hassled in 20 years except the time I got exit row on an intra-EU and found out nothing under the seats, no bag on your lap no matter how small! Wasn't a biggie, both bags went into the overhead, but I was totally unprepared to not have my small flight ditty bag ... what a whiner i am. anyway ... oh, right, we were talking about you! Big Grin

I'd say if the S25 worked, the A30 definitely will too *IF*, the A30 works with your packing and travel style; it's got no internal org, etc so it's a totally different experience than the S25. For me, the Aeronauts are only "bag no 2" as I'm a two-bag traveller so I always have another personal item bag (usually a lightly packed S25 or Pilot - this becomes my day pack too)

If you still want the S25 org, then the Synik 30 would be the no-brainer choice or, for even more room, the Brain Bag especially since it has the side compression straps for expandability/shrinkability and you can easily put an A45 PCBP in one of the two main compartments ... that way if you're ever hassled just pull out the PCBP and cinch down the BB, plus you have the PCBP for a day pack.

Anyway, others will have better advice because, as you can tell, I don't worry much about carry-on requirements; mostly because I fly major airlines vs economy (i.e. Delta vs Ryanair, Spiritair - although i do fly Southwest a LOT!) and in 20+ years of pretty regular flying (in NA, EU, APAC; and 10 of those years non-rev at an airline!), I've just never once been asked about my carry-ons. That said, I do smart stuff like wear my A45 as a shoulder bag for the gate and boarding, etc and, just like the cops, if you have a big oversized brightly colored bag ... well those are the people I usually try to line up behind Cool

So, yeah, the A30 *can* work if it fits your one-bag style, but maybe not, and if not, take a look at the SY30 or BB ... or even the WF! I have to say, the WF at 26L fits 2x more stuff than my S25. Sorcery indeed!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-24-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I travel KLM quite a bit and usually with an A45/S25 or a WF/S25 and I've never been hassled in 20 years except the time I got exit row on an intra-EU and found out nothing under the seats, no bag on your lap no matter how small! Wasn't a biggie, both bags went into the overhead, but I was totally unprepared to not have my small flight ditty bag ... what a whiner i am. anyway ... oh, right, we were talking about you! Big Grin

I'd say if the S25 worked, the A30 definitely will too *IF*, the A30 works with your packing and travel style; it's got no internal org, etc so it's a totally different experience than the S25. For me, the Aeronauts are only "bag no 2" as I'm a two-bag traveller so I always have another personal item bag (usually a lightly packed S25 or Pilot - this becomes my day pack too)

If you still want the S25 org, then the Synik 30 would be the no-brainer choice or, for even more room, the Brain Bag especially since it has the side compression straps for expandability/shrinkability and you can easily put an A45 PCBP in one of the two main compartments ... that way if you're ever hassled just pull out the PCBP and cinch down the BB, plus you have the PCBP for a day pack.

Anyway, others will have better advice because, as you can tell, I don't worry much about carry-on requirements; mostly because I fly major airlines vs economy (i.e. Delta vs Ryanair, Spiritair - although i do fly Southwest a LOT!) and in 20+ years of pretty regular flying (in NA, EU, APAC; and 10 of those years non-rev at an airline!), I've just never been once asked about my carry-on size. That said, I do smart stuff like wear my A45 as a shoulder bag for the gate and boarding, etc and, just like the cops, if you have a big oversized brightly colored bag ... well those are the people I usually try to line up behind Cool
    Thank you for the reply! I actually had my eye on an A45 but was worried it might be too big for KLM’s carry-on requirements, which are just a little smaller than the A45’s dimensions. I use packing cubes, so I don’t think the duffel-style would bother me, and the end pockets look like they’ll handle the things I usually put in the S25 exterior pockets. I did look at the Synik, but wanted something different to compliment my S25. Thanks again!

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply! I actually had my eye on an A45 but was worried it might be too big for KLM’s carry-on requirements, which are just a little smaller than the A45’s dimensions. I use packing cubes, so I don’t think the duffel-style would bother me, and the end pockets look like they’ll handle the things I usually put in the S25 exterior pockets. I did look at the Synik, but wanted something different to compliment my S25. Thanks again!
    no problem, if it's KLM you're worried about then, in my experience, an A45 is fine. I'll note that mine is 400 black halcyon (black is slimming Cool) and I carry it shoulder bag style at the gate and in line (no roller, looks small and must be because shoulder bag Wink), while wearing the S25 .... I don't know that I need to do this, but gate agents have told me that if your backpack is stuffed less than most others, and your roller or duffle appears smaller than most others, you're the last person they ask and that's never failed me with anyone including KLM!

I've had some pretty raucous KLM gate experiences with gate checks and such, including one time in Schipol where they were checking people's carry-on at the check-in counter before security! Never a problem.

Also, pro tip: in case you don't know, since the A45's bp straps detach, you can thread them through the S25 to piggy-back:

credit: @LordAnubis

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add that the A30/A45 lend themselves to folks who like to 'live out of' the bag when traveling. It's fairly easy to never unpack the Aeronaut and just use it as a dresser... The Aeronauts are also duffels first, then shoulder or backpack carry. The Synapse, Synik, Brain Bags, etc. are backpacks first.

So you would want to consider how you like to pack, to carry, and to live out of once you get where you're going....

The WF & TS are like the Aeronauts in that they duffel/shoulder first then backpack carry...but they're more 2D/flat packing vs the Aeronaut which allows easier 3D packing.

FWIW, I have various TB backpacks for EDC and work trips... but prefer the A30 for normal travel with a Pilot/Co-pilot/Shop Bag as my second bag. The WF works for me for short trips too.

Oh, and if you're really interested in the sorcery behind the bag capacity, maybe you're ready for a S3000
    https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/n...n-synapse-3000
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7bb858000c.jpg

I never thought of this. I wonder if it would work with the WF... if it does then which backpack to choose???
    Last edited by Katsage; 02-24-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsage View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7bb858000c.jpg

I never thought of this. I wonder if it would work with the WF... if it does then which backpack to choose???
    Daylight backpack works perfectly on the WF. This is a picture of the DLBP on the A30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. That was on my list of backpacks. Now I will have to get one. Might be awhile because I can’t decide on color.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . The A30 obviously has five more liters than the S25, but the S25 appears to have larger physical dimensions. What kind of sorcery is this? Does the more square shape of the A30 allow it to carry more? And is there any appreciable difference I’m capacity between the two bags
    I have both S25 and A30. The S25 dimensions are the points of maximum length, width, depth. The S25 is very curvy and angular so it doesn't max out the "box" its dimensions describe. The A30 is rectangular and sharper edges thus the bag fills it's dimensional "box" fully.

I am test packing my A30 for first time traveling with it. I am using similar packing list to a similar trip I have taken with my S25, and I've packed everything in 1 end pocket and the main compartment. I may spread the items out, but currently am liking an empty pocket as it sets nicely. I expect the versatility as other mentioned about living out of it to be easier. I also feel I am more of a shoulder carry person than a "uncoordinated wearer of a turtle shell" backpack. I shall see how that pans out on my trip. (The end pocket fits a PCSB (4.5 liters) so I still packed 25 liters. The S25 over packed did look plump and egg shaped vs 25 liters in A30 looks underpacked even for the packed compartments.)