Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut: Repair/Replace inner compression strap

Hi all,

I have an aeronaut 45 and at one point I put one of the clasps for the inner compression straps in backwards and I can't unclasp it--I'm looking for thoughts on how to repair/replace this.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nireabucs View Post
    Hi all,

I have an aeronaut 45 and at one point I put one of the clasps for the inner compression straps in backwards and I can't unclasp it--I'm looking for thoughts on how to repair/replace this.

Thanks!
    Hi @nireabucs and welcome to the Forums!

Could you perhaps take a pic and show exactly what you mean...?
    If you're talking about the Gatekeepers (see this link https://www.tombihn.com/products/par...nt=16645154119 ) then try pinching the two sides of the plastic with one hand and gently push the metal clip down with the other to unseat it from the hook... it should then spring up a bit and clear the hook on the plastic so you can pull it out of the way and slip the Gatekeeper off of the fabric loop it's attached to.

I know folks have taken photos and videos, we'll try to find some and post here.

ETA: this video shows putting a Gatekeeper on a Side Effect at 1:50...hopefully that helps
    https://vimeo.com/189386005
    Last edited by G42; 02-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with my A30 compression straps. Had to break it to get it open.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an idea. I take it the problem is the “button” is now on the underside of buckles and is locked in. I would either use a drill or a hot metal object (sewing needle or something... fork at a last resort) get it red hot and try and get a hole in the underside of the buckle. Then you might be able to stick a thin piece of metal in there and depress the clip and it might slide out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nireabucs View Post

Thanks!
    Have you tried giving it a good tug? Worse case, if it breaks, we can send you a new one: emailus@tombihn.com Smilie

Or wait, Kat just shared this tip that'd be worth trying: "What I've found works best is actually if they squeeze the two attachment points flush together, and then press down on the little half circle button, then pull apart."
    Last edited by Darcy; 02-25-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one! I've done this a few times. The first time I had to just give up and break it. I had to confess and email TB. As Darcy says they were so kind and did replace them. After the first time I've somehow managed to undo them and haven't had to embarrass myself again...but I'm sure the time will come. So thanks for posting this! I no longer feel like such a doofus ;-)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, I didn't even think to email support about my broken buckle. I should have remembered who I'm dealing with here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice--- after spending more time on this than I care to admit--I think I"m gonna cry UNCLE and request at new strap and buckle.