Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yarn sack for water bottle holder

I know this has been discussed before but canít find the thread...

I want to purchase a sack to secure my 24 oz hydro flask to the side of my DLBP. I believe the small yarn sack will do the trick, but not sure. Is it big enough to hold the bottle? What would be a good alternative?

TIA

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a size 1 stuff sack for holding 24 ounce Contigo and 20 ounce Zorjirushi. The specs say that the small yarn sack is larger than a size one stuff sack so I think it would probably work for holding your hydro flask.
    Spring

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    There are two types of yarn stuff sacks. One is all fabric and would be excellent as a water bottle holder.

The other yarn stuff sack has a clear bottom. With the weight of a full water bottle, it is my personal opinion that the clear bottom might fail with repeated use over an extended period of time. Please note that this is my opinion and has not been tested.

All the Tom Bihn items that have a clear side (Organizer Pouches, Yarn Stuff Sacks, etc.) are VERY durable and exceptional products. None of mine have failed in any way.

My only concern with the clear bottom yarn stuff sack is the added weight of a full water bottle causing undue wear and tear.

I use a Travel Stuff Sack, size 1, for my small water bottle. It's the perfect solution for moving a water bottle from one bag to another. My LL Bean Boat and Tote bag does not have any built-in organization, so the TB Travel Stuff Sack keeps my water bottle upright and helps organize the bag.

Good luck! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Traveltech ,

The size 1 Travel stuff sack should work for you (I had one with me and tried it out on both the 24 oz. Hydro flask and the 20 oz. model)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I know this has been discussed before but can’t find the thread...

I want to purchase a sack to secure my 24 oz hydro flask to the side of my DLBP. I believe the small yarn sack will do the trick, but not sure. Is it big enough to hold the bottle? What would be a good alternative?

TIA
    In general, the Contigo and Zojurushi bottles are smaller diameter than the Hydro flask bottles (not by a lot -- but most Hydro flasks are at least about 2.9" in diameter, like your 24 oz. Hydro flask, while my Zojurushi bottles are under 2.75" in diameter)

Quote Originally Posted by xyppy View Post
    I've used a size 1 stuff sack for holding 24 ounce Contigo and 20 ounce Zorjirushi. The specs say that the small yarn sack is larger than a size one stuff sack so I think it would probably work for holding your hydro flask.
    Here's a picture of the difference in diameter between a small yarn stuff sack and a size 1 Travel Stuff Sack (it's from an unrelated post (#8 dated 10-08-2017 in the Daylight BC/BP into a stuff sack? thread on how small a stuff sack or pouch can be used to hold a rolled or folded Daylight Backpack or Daylight Briefcase -- the answer is that if the DLBP is 400d Halcyon, I can use a tight roll to fit it into a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack, or alternatively, fold either a Halcyon DLBP or DLBC into a 1 liter 3D Organizer Cube, or equivalently fold a DLBC and a DLBP into each side of a small snake charmer, but that rolling a Cordura DLBP would probably require going up to a Small Yarn Stuff Sack)
    This is a picture showing a comparison of the Island Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack (with tightly rolled Halcyon DLBP) and the Steel Small Yarn Stuff Sack. (Other images of different backups and rollups are in the linked post).

And, for reference purpose as to the specs of various Hydro Flask models, I'll excerpt an old chart listing dimensions of various Hydro flask models (it's from my 05-24-2019 reply in the 40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder? thread, and the table is old, but it covers your 24 oz Hydro Flask model)

The wider diameter Hydro Flask models in the top part of the table would require the Small Yarn Stuff Sack.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-06-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post

I want to purchase a sack to secure my 24 oz hydro flask to the side of my DLBP.

TIA
    Could I ask how you will secure the sack to the side of the DLBP? I would love to have the water outside my backpack -- for quicker access and to open a little more space inside the backpack. I don't know how to secure the stuff sack to the side. Thanks.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sorry. I’m securing the water bottle inside the DLBP. But if anyone has suggestions for securing it outside, I’d be interested.
    Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. That is my plan too.