Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field Journal Strap Length?

Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me the shortest length possible with the Field Journal Strap? https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...shoulder-strap

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.
    I happened to measure mine yesterday and it seems to be the same strap as the Side Kick shoulder strap:
    30" to 55"

Germany
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need it shorter you can e-mail customer service and ask if they would make you one in a specific length. They made a shorter 1" shoulder strap for me because the standard length was too long at its shortest for the way I wanted to wear the bag (high messenger style).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks for both of those replies! 30" is a bit too long for my purposes, but maybe I'll see if I can get a shorter one made.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestMarshwiggle View Post
    Awesome, thanks for both of those replies! 30" is a bit too long for my purposes, but maybe I'll see if I can get a shorter one made.
    @HonestMarshwiggle ,

Do you need this to be an FJN strap with straight webbing everywhere? Or could you use one of the shorter, and adjustable Smat Alec Gatekeeper Straps that have the same connector ends and webbing strap width, but that have an off-center buckle instead? They were meant to lash items to the front of the Smart Alec, so the buckle tightens at one end for a minimum distance around 7”, I think, with the buckle end kept out of the way. I have these around for bag hacking, as well as for use with my Smart Alec, and I also use parts of the Gatekeeper straps to cut down on huge length waist strap excess webbing—since they have to make them one size fits all. There are also adjustable solutions that you can hack with combinations of single gatekeepers and lash straps or even with the Gatekeepers designed for hanging the caches with rails, depending on what you want to do.

HTH

moriond

P.S. I just want to remind everyone that after switching the connector design of the Side Kick to use Gatekeeper shoulder straps, they then went through a second, later round of modifications so the current Side Kick straps are longer than the original versions, which did, indeed, match the FJN straps in both (webbing) fabric and size. The current Side Kick straps use the heavier weight, thicker, and satiny texture straps, which are both longer and different material (not webbing) than the original FJN straps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Moriond, I had been eyeing those, and some of the other parts/accessories. I'm not at all sure my idea will work well, but what I want to is to occasionally carry my every-day-carry Medium Cafe Bag as a backpack. I want to try connecting straps from the waist-belt loops on the Medium Cafe Bag to the carry handle on top. I've tried this with the two halves of the Waist Strap (and a couple extra gatekeeper parts), and it was almost long enough, but there was no way to adjust them...

I'd need the straps to be about 20 inches, and preferably adjustable. At this point, I'm looking at getting two of the field journal straps, which would have all the material & hardware I need, then cutting the strap and attaching the tri-glide to one of the loose ends to get an adjustable strap.
    Last edited by HonestMarshwiggle; 03-08-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestMarshwiggle View Post
    Thanks Moriond, I had been eyeing those, and some of the other parts/accessories. I'm not at all sure my idea will work well, but what I want to is to occasionally carry my every-day-carry Medium Cafe Bag as a backpack. I want to try connecting straps from the waist-belt loops on the Medium Cafe Bag to the carry handle on top. I've tried this with the two halves of the Waist Strap (and a couple extra gatekeeper parts), and it was almost long enough, but there was no way to adjust them...

I'd need the straps to be about 20 inches, and preferably adjustable. At this point, I'm looking at getting two of the field journal straps, which would have all the material & hardware I need, then cutting the strap and attaching the tri-glide to one of the loose ends to get an adjustable strap.
    In that case, why don't you use a single FJN at it's standard length, attach one end to the waist belt loop, bring it up through the grab handle and then back down to the waist belt loop? You could adjust the strap to whatever length you needed it to be and it will self center itself?

I'll post a picture of what I'm thinking...
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here’s what I’m thinking. I used a 1” shoulder strap to stand in for the FJN strap. Also, brilliant idea - it had never crossed my mind, but I think this could be seriously handy from time to time... Also, if you wanted it to be able to ride a little lower, you could attach a carabiner (or maybe even one of those handy new swivel double carabiners that TB is carrying) to the grab handle and run the strap through that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jessmakes; 03-08-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Germany
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also just tried this with my 1” shoulder strap and it was surprisingly comfortable! I wrapped the shoulder strap a few times around the grab handle instead of just once. Do you just want the bag to stay put? Or is about carrying it more comfortably? In the first case you could also get the messenger stabilizers, especially since you have the waist strap already. That system works really well for securing the bag on your back.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 03-09-2020 at 04:02 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks jessmakes, I'll definitely try it that way before cutting anything up!

b1gsky, I actually have one of those stabilizers, and they do work well for keeping the bag in place. This is more about going on an impromptu hike or other longer-than-usual walk, when I want to carry the weight across both shoulders.