Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Packing Cube Shoulder Bag inside the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25?

I've tried some new configuration (with an HLT, double zippered pouch, padded pouch, straps, etc.), but none of them quite worked as I hoped. Thing is, the bottom pocket (where I had hoped to put the HLT) is perfect for my gym clothes. However, I'd like to put them inside a packing cube shoulder bag so I may just remove my gym clothes and throw my cellphone, keys, and wallet in the front pouch when I want to travel light. It looks like it might just fit, but I might be wrong, and I don't want to try it out and have to return more stuff.

PS : I've posted it on the wrong thread, it should have been in the "Question about bag", sorry about that!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DomHorrible - I moved your post
    Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DomHorrible View Post
    I've tried some new configuration (with an HLT, double zippered pouch, padded pouch, straps, etc.), but none of them quite worked as I hoped. Thing is, the bottom pocket (where I had hoped to put the HLT) is perfect for my gym clothes. However, I'd like to put them inside a packing cube shoulder bag so I may just remove my gym clothes and throw my cellphone, keys, and wallet in the front pouch when I want to travel light. It looks like it might just fit, but I might be wrong, and I don't want to try it out and have to return more stuff.

PS : I've posted it on the wrong thread, it should have been in the "Question about bag", sorry about that!
    Hi @DomHorrible ,

The thing about the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, particularly in the 200d Halcyon fabric, is that it is extremely flexible and squishable. It might work if severely underfilled. A 210 Ballistic version would be trickier.

A filled PCSB will not fit in the bottom pocket on an S25. The biggest full bag that will fit there is a Side Kick, which holds 3 liters (and a full Side Kick is quite a tight squeeze unless you have a Halcyon S25 and a Halcyon Side Kick, which makes it slightly easier to finesse). A PCSB holds 4.5 liters.

Can you fold or roll your gym clothes small enough to fit in that pocket on their own? Then a PCSB may well be able to squish in holding the clothes and nothing extra.

You may also consider a size 2 Travel Stuff Sack which is 2 Liters, or a size 3 which is 4 liters.

If it would be useful to you I can take some pictures in the daylight of the PCSB, Side Kick and/or Stuff Sack with an S25.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Packing Cube Shoulder Bag inside the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25?

Quote Originally Posted by DomHorrible View Post

Yes, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag will fit into the front zippered pocket of the Synapse 25, as will the Travel Laundry Stuff Sack for A30. However, in both cases it is possible to fill the accessory so full that it will cause the back wall of that bottom front zippered pocket to bulge into the area of the main compartment of the Synapse 25.

This may not be an issue for your usage, but can be an issue for people who are trying to pack their backpacks completely full for travel purposes, ans expect to have the full length of the main Synapse compartment available for rectangular packing —regardless of any usage they make of the front zippered compartment.

I shot a sequence of pictures in the Laundry Stuff Sacks are Here thread that I’ll excerpt:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...acks-here.html

Stuffed TLSS for A30 in Packing Cube Shoulder Bag

Same stuffed TLSS for A30 in front of Synapse 25

TLSS in above picture inside S25 front zippered pocket.

The PCSB will also fit in the S25 pocket, but can similarly fill it so that the back wall of that pocket bulges inward.

These are faster for me to locate, since I have to execute multiple copy and paste gestures on an iOS device if I want to include pictures instead of just giving you a text answer of “Yes, it will fit.”

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @DomHorrible ,

I thought I'd add some comments, because I agree with @Cristina 's comments that there are qualifications to how well a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB) will work for you in the bottom based on your fabric choice (200d Halcyon is preferred for both the PCSB and Travel Laundry Stuff Sack (TLSS) for A30, for maximum flexibility in packing in close quarters. (And if you care about colors, the only (200d) Halcyon option currently available is Northwest Sky, while for the TLSS for A30 the Halcyon colors also extend to Island, Ultraviolet, and Wasabi, as well; I'm not sure whether Iberian will be remade since this color is being retired).

Technically, the maximum capacity of the TLSS for A30 is 4.5 liters -- the product page gives it the same width as the PCSB of 11.8 inches, but a circular diameter of 5.5 inches instead of 7.9" (h) x 3.1" (d), and the PCSB is listed as having 4 liter capacity. It may be because there is more flexibility in how far you stuff the ends of the TLSS for A30 that it can be easier to fit into the Synapse 25 chin pocket.

You can look at the discussion threads of Which size laundry stuff sack for a synapse 25 from 2018, and also @carrot 's comment in 2019:
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    The Aeronaut 30 Travel Laundry Stuff Sack does fit inside the Synapse 25. It fits nearly perfectly in the chin pocket, and is exactly the reason I chose the A30 TLSS over the A45 TLSS. Various sizes of the new laundry packing cubes should fit very nicely if you prefer to put your clothing in the main compartment; the Eagle Creek Specter Clean/Dirty Packing Cubes work great as well.

Check out this thread to see the A30 TLSS in the S25. https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...apse-25-a.html
    I'll also add that the first linked thread contains excerpted photos from @Badger 's The Travel Laundry Stuff Sack as ultralight overnight bag where the larger size TLSS for A45 was used as an overnight bag, and a travel tray was tossed in to carry other items. That was before the small size Travel Tray debuted, and I think you could toss your phone, wallet, and keys into a Small Travel Tray (5.3" external diameter) and have it fit into the TLSS for A30. (Well, my iPhone, wallet, and keys would fit into it a small travel tray; but most people carry bigger phones).

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag will fit into the front zippered pocket of the Synapse 25, as will the Travel Laundry Stuff Sack for A30. However, in both cases it is possible to fill the accessory so full that it will cause the back wall of that bottom front zippered pocket to bulge into the area of the main compartment of the Synapse 25.
    Just want to add the comment is agreeing that both the A30 TLSS and PCSB fit in the chin pocket (I have both and used both in that purpose), it becomes critical that the PCSB or TLSS are placed into the bag before the main compartment is filled. The main compartment can be stuffed easier to squeeze the packed chin pocket contents than trying to pack the chin pocket when the main compartment is already full.