Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15” MBP in Daylight Briefcase

I have the 2018 15” with Touch ID. How snug would this be in the DLBC with no cache (or other laptop sleeve)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @scot079 ,

A check of the dimensions of the 2018 15" MacBook Pro shows this to be the same size as the 2016 15" MBP Touchbar model, so I can tell you that your laptop will not fit into the Daylight Briefcase, even without a cache. That's a flat no if you're considering either 525d Ballistic Nylon or the older Cordura models, because you won't be able to get the corners of the laptop under the square corners of the DLBC. If you have a 400d Halcyon DLBC, there's enough give in the fabric so that you'll be able to carry the bare 15" MBP in the bag (and maybe even with a thin shell around it), but remember that there's no additional protection for the laptop. I would personally feel OK transporting the laptop this way in a pinch, but not for everyday use.

Your best bet in the current lineup of Tom Bihn briefcases is the Pilot. There isn't an equivalent minimalist briefcase similar to the Daylight Briefcase that will handle the 15" laptops. Another possibility, that will handle even larger laptops, and fits into the more Classic briefcase design, is the Cadet.

I'm a big fan of the Daylight Briefcase (and I also have the Pilot and the Cadet). I'll just say that when I had to get a briefcase for a colleague who owns a 15" Retina MacBook Pro (Touchbar), and who is not good about using laptop protection (he did occasionally use the Brain Cell on older laptops, but he wouldn't use the Cadet for his 15.6" ThinkPad W520 -- see this thread from 2015 about larger laptops in the Cadet vs. Pilot), the miniminalist laptop case that I found for him, which both fits the 15" Retina MacBook Pro Touchbar models, and which he actually uses, is the Nock.co Lanier. Compared to the Daylight Briefcase, it lacks the O-rings and other wonderful compartments. (There is a front zippered pocket for carrying some accessories, power brick, backup drive, etc. and an A5-sized Pouch which they now have started selling separately). There may be a few other places (pen shops) that still stock the Lanier, which was a Kickstarter project in late 2016 that I backed, but the Jetpens entry now shows sold out.

HTH, and maybe other owners of the 15" Retina MacBook Pro can chime in with their experience.

moriond

ETA: I've left up the link to JetPens for the Lanier because their product page description contains a number of pictures and summary descriptions that are useful.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-19-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I figured as much. I have a briefcase that will fit the 15” and so I’ll probably go with the Daylight when I can get away with carrying just an iPad and keyboard. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My older 2012 15" Macbook Pro does not fit either.