Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?

I finally started to switch over my EDC from my reg Sy22 in Wilderness to the GE Sy22. I tried loading the HLT1 (which I'm also testing) into the bottom pocket of the empty GE and it won't fit. I can force it, but it's SOOOO tight. I tried it in the non-GE Sy 22 and it fits perfectly with room to spare. Is this supposed to be the case? Is my beautiful Ursa GE made wrong, or is the reg one more spacious? HALP =(

Works:
    Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?-1a-jpg

Closes easily:
    Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?-1b-jpg

Barely can shove in:
    Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?-2a-jpg

As far as zipper will comfortably go:
    Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?-2b-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it because the inside is 210 and not halycon? I've never had a non-halycon inside. Maybe it takes more stretching or something?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Guides Edition has those extra bits on the outside for lash straps and an ice pick. That may make the fabric less flexible.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earth5 View Post
    Is it because the inside is 210 and not halycon? I've never had a non-halycon inside. Maybe it takes more stretching or something?
    It’s not the 210d ballistic interior, because my Nebulous Grey Synik 22 is lined with 210d Dawn Ballistic Nylon and also more easily accommodates the HLT1. I have one of the first Guide’s Edition Synapse 25 (Deep Blue/Coyote), and the bottom pocket is tighter than on the Synapse 25, but not as noticeably. (It was at the level where when people were asking about whether you could fit the Lead’s Pocket for the Guide’s Pack into the bottom pocket, I could say that I could manage it with my 400d Halcyon Synapse 25, although this was really overfilling that pocket, since the Lead’s Pocket’s rectangular corners are stiff, as is the overall pouch since the sides are padded — but I really couldn’t do this for the Guide’s Effect Synapse.)

I’m giving it a few days because it seemed really tight on the day that I received it, and seems a bit better now, but still tighter than my Synik 22. The measured sections inside seem to be the same, but there may be an additional pull from where the corners round at the bottom.

Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?-img_4820-jpg

Here's a Seapine HLT1 in the chin pocket of the Ursa GE Synik 22

Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?-img_4821-jpg

The same filled Seapine HLT1 in the chin pocket of my Nebulous Grey/Dawn Synik 22

It may not be obvious from this picture, but the HLT1 fits more easily into the open pocket. It sits further back, and I can open the pocket more around it. Look at the curved line of the black zipper on the HLT1 that is visible above the bottom of the Synik 22 zipper in this shot. In the top picture I can't open the pocket up so easily, so although the HLT1 will fit into the pocket and zip shut, it's sitting fairly tightly inside because the pocket opening doesn't have any room to drop down the way it does in the second picture.

Problem? Bottom pocket of GE different from reg Sy22?-img_4819-jpg

You can see that I can zip up the pocket containing the HLT1 in my Ursa GE Synik 22(and this was definitely harder on the day that I received it), but there's a diagonal pull from the bottom right corner that you can see, that isn't present in the older Nebulous Grey Synik 22 when that pocket is closed.

(Sorry, these are probably not great photos, but I figured you'd rather see something that would help answer your question than wait for me to get good lighting and better shots.)

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-28-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You can see that I can zip up the pocket containing the HLT1 in my Ursa GE Synik 22(and this was definitely harder on the day that I received it), but there's a diagonal pull from the bottom right corner that you can see, that isn't present in the older Nebulous Grey Synik 22 when that pocket is closed.

(Sorry, these are probably not great photos, but I figured you'd rather see something that would help answer your question than wait for me to get good lighting and better shots.)

HTH

moriond
    YES!!! This exactly! I'm not going crazy then. If yours loosens up let me know (and will do the same). It's a gorgeous colorway and I'd hate to not be able to use it the same way at the regular Synik 22. Now it makes me wonder about the rest of the pockets...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES!!! This exactly! I'm not going crazy then. If yours loosens up let me know (and will do the same). It's a gorgeous colorway and I'd hate to not be able to use it the same way at the regular Synik 22. Now it makes me wonder about the rest of the pockets...
    I just checked my new Solaris HLT1 go my new Wilderness SN22 GE and a Deep Blue SN22 non-GE from the first release. The HLT1 fits the same to me in both.

Just to eliminate the obvious, did you check the measurement on your HLT1 to ensure that it is indeed a 1 and not a mislabeled 2?

One thing I noticed (besides how stiff new ballistic is), is that - depending on how your pack was folded in the box - you may need to get your hand in there first and sort of open it all up.
    When I look at your first pic, I really see the bottom lash point medallions and it looks like the part of the pocket below the zipper is folded in.
    There a seam & binding in there where the Coyote piping is at the bottom of the ice ax loop - be sure to push that out/away from the inside of the pocket to ensure that the HLT1 is behind that seam/binding and not caught up on it.
    The pocket should extend to the bottom of the coyote webbing loop that is below the coyote ice ax loop.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One reason that I think you’ll find the fit of the HLT1 in the bottom pocket will get easier with time is that in your picture, the bottom of the GE Synik 22 — the flat portion with Coyote diamonds with lash strap points — is lying flatter against the ground than in my pictures here. It looks close to the way my GE Synik 22 did shortly after unboxing, when it was close to its original flattened shipping position, and you can check that against my earliest posted picture of this bag just after it arrived (excerpted from my Your Photos are Needed post (#2892, dated 03-18-2020)

It still feels tighter than I would have guessed from the design specs, but I have no previous experience with GE Syniks, and I can’t check this against the larger size GE Synik 30, because I didn’t order one.

ETA: I was still composing this before I saw @G42 ’s post

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    When I look at your first pic, I really see the bottom lash point medallions and it looks like the part of the pocket below the zipper is folded in.
    There a seam & binding in there where the Coyote piping is at the bottom of the ice ax loop - be sure to push that out/away from the inside of the pocket to ensure that the HLT1 is behind that seam/binding and not caught up on it.
    The pocket should extend to the bottom of the coyote webbing loop that is below the coyote ice ax loop.
    This is what I was referring to in my post.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I just checked my new Solaris HLT1 go my new Wilderness SN22 GE and a Deep Blue SN22 non-GE from the first release. The HLT1 fits the same to me in both.

Just to eliminate the obvious, did you check the measurement on your HLT1 to ensure that it is indeed a 1 and not a mislabeled 2?
    I have 2 HLT2s. This is definitely an HLT1 packed identically in both bags. I have tried stretching out the bottom pocket of the GE22 since posting yesterday, and it's a little better, but still noticeably tight, especially compared to the non-GE =/ I'll keep trying to stretch it out then

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 HLT2s. This is definitely an HLT1 packed identically in both bags. I have tried stretching out the bottom pocket of the GE22 since posting yesterday, and it's a little better, but still noticeably tight, especially compared to the non-GE =/ I'll keep trying to stretch it out then
    If it doesn't seem right after you've poked at it a bit, please shoot an email to Kat or Darcy in Customer Service.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious if anyone from Tom Bihn commented on this issue. Just wondering because I have a Synik 30 GE and feel that the bottom pockets is a little tighter than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afquijano View Post
    Just curious if anyone from Tom Bihn commented on this issue. Just wondering because I have a Synik 30 GE and feel that the bottom pockets is a little tighter than I expected.
    We noted this thread and were only able to recreate the issue (with some Guide's Edition bags we have here) if the rectangular foam piece on the bottom of the Synik was folded inwards as opposed to popped outwards (as it would be if the bag was fully packed.) Based on the photos, it looks as though that could be the issue behind what's described here.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We noted this thread and were only able to recreate the issue (with some Guide's Edition bags we have here) if the rectangular foam piece on the bottom of the Synik was folded inwards as opposed to popped outwards (as it would be if the bag was fully packed.) Based on the photos, it looks as though that could be the issue behind what's described here.
    @Darcy it's still tight. I think it's either the thick reinforced seam inside that runs laterally at the top that's making the fit tighter. The regular Synik's seam isn't nearly as hard and is more flexible. That or the fact that the right side zipper descends into that seam and has a pokey (from the edging of the zipper, I think). coming out the bottom is making it stiffer (the zipper end doesn't feel like it comes to the bottom of that seam on the reg). That seam is also stiffer in the corners and unwilling to change it's shape (it stands down and I can't get it to lie flatter like the reg). I'm not sure if it's a difference of ballistic/halcyon that's maklng the corner flexibility different as well. I tried filling the compartment with a barely filled halcyon 3DOC (couple of dry erase makers) and a small 4.5x5.75" Scribbles journal, and even with that small amount I have to noticeable work for the journal to slide into the GE where the regular is easy-peasy. I can make a video if that helps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Darcy and @earth5 ,

My Ursa Brown Guideís Edition Synik 22 bottom zippered pocket has relaxed a bit now that Iíve left the filled HLT1 inside and have kept the bottom foam pad down. It still is tighter than the fit of the bottom zippered pocket of my Nebulous Grey/Dawn Synik 22, that also uses 210d Ballistic Nylon for the lining, but Iím thinking this could be within the variation of manufacturing tolerances for individual bags. What I notice is that when I run my finger along the front edge of the bottom pad, where the seam joins to the bottom of the pocket, the seam indent felt along the outside of the bag feels slightly more uniform and shallower on my Synik 22 than on my GE Synik 22. Itís not a large effect, which is why I think that it itís probably within bag to bag manufacturing tolerance.

HTH

moriond

ETA: This is not about the bottom pocket, but I thought Iíd mention that, just as with my Synik 22, I can fit my 13Ē mid-2011 MacBook Air into the laptop pocket. Iím sure it has everything to do with the Power Support Clear Air Jacket shell that I have on this laptop, which I described in my post in the Luminary 15 back pocket and MacBook Air 13? thread, where I also gave an embedded video that reviewed that shell.
    Last edited by moriond; 04-10-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @Darcy and @earth5 ,

My Ursa Brown Guideís Edition Synik 22 bottom zippered pocket has relaxed a bit now that Iíve left the filled HLT1 inside and have kept the bottom foam pad down. It still is tighter than the fit of the bottom zippered pocket of my Nebulous Grey/Dawn Synik 22, that also uses 210d Ballistic Nylon for the lining, but Iím thinking this could be within the variation of manufacturing tolerances for individual bags. What I notice is that when I run my finger along the front edge of the bottom pad, where the seam joins to the bottom of the pocket, the seam indent felt along the outside of the bag feels slightly more uniform and shallower on my Synik 22 than on my GE Synik 22. Itís not a large effect, which is why I think that it itís probably within bag to bag manufacturing tolerance.

HTH

moriond

ETA: This is not about the bottom pocket, but I thought Iíd mention that, just as with my Synik 22, I can fit my 13Ē mid-2011 MacBook Air into the laptop pocket. Iím sure it has everything to do with the Power Support Clear Air Jacket shell that I have on this laptop, which I described in my post in the Luminary 15 back pocket and MacBook Air 13? thread, where I also gave an embedded video that reviewed that shell.
    Interesting comment about tolerances. Also, I've found that putting my 13" MBP with touchbar in the GE laptop compartment from the side is MUCH tighter (I have to fight to make the 3-point turn) to the point it scratched the laptop edges noticeably. I also cannot fit it through the inside top pocket, where I can with the regular 22. I figured that'd end up being a separate question if I couldn't figure out how to get the GE to chillout and relax like it's cousin Wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast