Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Sewing of bag

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sewing of bag

Hi Everyone! I got a new tristar and I saw that one of the edges there was extra loops that didnt go through while in the process of sewing the zipper on. I trimmed it bc I thought it was just extra thread. Seems to be fine but should I be worried? Has anyone had this happen to them? I absolutely love this bag! Thanks in advance for any input!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkonthank1 View Post
    Hi Everyone! I got a new tristar and I saw that one of the edges there was extra loops that didnt go through while in the process of sewing the zipper on. I trimmed it bc I thought it was just extra thread. Seems to be fine but should I be worried? Has anyone had this happen to them? I absolutely love this bag! Thanks in advance for any input!

It probably was just a loose thread. TB has a great warranty, so I wouldn't be too worried.
    If you ever see anything like that again though, send a photo to the fine folks in Customer Service for their thoughts, BEFORE you cut the thread Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just responded to your email, and I'll post part of my response here.

If anyone is wondering anything about their bag: always feel free to snap a photo and emailus@tombihn.com

Most of our sewing machines have built-in automatic thread cutters: when the sewer is done sewing a line of stitching, the machine automatically cuts the end threads. Unfortunately, this technology is not always perfect, so at QA/thread trim stations (both mid-process and at the final inspection), human beings with good eyes and small thread trimming scissors do their best to catch any overrun threads not trimmed by the sewing machines. We make every effort to trim them all before a bag heads out our door, but occasionally, we miss one (or two!)

When we hand-trim excess thread in our factory, we carefully cut the thread off close to its base; if you need to do this at home, don’t get too enthusiastic with this and dig your snips or scissors into the fabric or stitching, just cut the thread off close to its base.

It’s good to note that almost all of the sewing machines in our factory are lockstitch machines: even if a thread or seam looks loose, it is highly unlikely that it will ever come truly unstitched. Often people think of a pet food bag, which is sewn shut with a special chain stitch, specifically engineered to open up when you pull the string: pop-pop-pop, dog food everywhere! That’s very different stitching than holds your TOM BIHN bag together, we promise.

Sometimes untrimmed threads are perceived as a sign of poor quality, and we get that. When any of us purchase a garment (no surprise that we never purchase bags, haha), if the garment has more than one or two untrimmed threads, we start to wonder just how much of a rush were they in to get the thing out the door... anything else important they missed? That said, absolute perfection is achieved only on rare occasions, and we recall that we’re all only human.
    Last edited by Darcy; 04-05-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    It probably was just a loose thread. TB has a great warranty, so I wouldn't be too worried.
    If you ever see anything like that again though, send a photo to the fine folks in Customer Service for their thoughts, BEFORE you cut the thread Smilie
    Yes I probably should gave waited and snapped a pic. If I have any issue I definitely will reach out. But it seems to be fine. Awesome bag for sure!Sewing of bag

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Often people think of a pet food bag, which is sewn shut with a special chain stitch, specifically engineered to open up when you pull the string: pop-pop-pop, dog food everywhere! That’s very different stitching than holds your TOM BIHN bag together, we promise.
    Total non-sequitur here, but I don't think I've ever been able to get one of those stupid pull-string things to work as intended, lol. So if your bags are half as stubborn about coming apart as those are, I'll take it!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealle View Post
    Total non-sequitur here, but I don't think I've ever been able to get one of those stupid pull-string things to work as intended, lol. So if your bags are half as stubborn about coming apart as those are, I'll take it!
    Ha! I've had the same experience with those Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Ha! I've had the same experience with those Smilie
    There are dozens of us, dozens!

(Also, I actually feel better knowing I'm not the only one, lol)