Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emirates not accepting cabin baggage

Recent news is that Emirates is currently not accepting cabin baggage due to COVID-19 for the limited flights they are flying.
    https://gulfnews.com/uae/covid-19-em....1586773471578

Maybe this will be a thing that extends to other airlines?
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oof, I hope this is only a temporary thing. If you listen closely enough, you can hear the onebagging community scream in horror.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily some handbags are gigantic Wink But in all seriousness, there are so many more touch points for a checked bag.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    Luckily some handbags are gigantic Wink But in all seriousness, there are so many more touch points for a checked bag.
    I guess they are thinking of possible issues with cabin baggage being in a confined space with people for several hours? And not knowing where it's been beforehand?
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or people breathing basically into other passengers’ faces when shoving their bags in the overhead?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    or people breathing basically into other passengers’ faces when shoving their bags in the overhead?
    True! Unfortunately everyone breathes the same air for quite a few hours on a flight. Perhaps they could "lock" the overheads upon takeoff. And spray disinfectant inside cabin before and after flight. (Like the old days haha)

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt very much that infected carry on bags are the prime vectors for long-haul sardine cans full of recirculated air. Particularly if you're handling your own carry on luggage.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My assumption is that it is probably based on multiple factors: volume of potentially contaminated items/surfaces being brought into the cabin; areas that need to be cleaned (ie, overhead bins); location of areas (above the passengers heads); difficulty in maintaining distancing when loading into bins; staff having to rearrange/manipulate bags to get bins closed; etc.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emirates is operating a very limited passenger flight schedule with only nine round trips this week.

Also be aware that modern aircraft have a very advaned Hepa filter system for its cabin air. It's not just the same air sitting there for hours.

Emirates also claims to clean and disinfect every aircraft at their base in Dubai.

The no-carry on bag situation is only temporary.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Also be aware that modern aircraft have a very advanced Hepa filter system for its cabin air. It's not just the same air sitting there for hours
    Yes but a filter can't combat passengers sneezing/coughing/talking with spittle etc for hours nearby. Pot luck who sits nearby. The row you're sitting in, plus two rows behind and two rows in front are considered close.

In a COVID-19 case Qantas announced:

Australian health authorities have advised only some passengers on the same flight are considered to have been in close contact with the confirmed case. Each State's health authority will undertake the contact tracing process and make direct contact with passengers on that flight who were sitting within two rows in front and behind a confirmed case.
    Last edited by bijoux; 04-20-2020 at 05:11 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When traveling by plane, you are susceptible to any type of airborne illness. No just Covid-19. You would be amazed of the unhygenic things I have seen on planes. Like the passenger who went to the toilet in his bare feet. Or the woman who decided to clip her toe nails at her seat. Or the guy who put his bare feet up on the wall separating economy from business class.

Don't people wear socks anymore?

Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “ahhhhhhhhh!” <one-bagger me at the airport

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    “ahhhhhhhhh!” <one-bagger me at the airport

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    As a fellow one-bagger, I share your horror.

The cynic in me wonders if when the general population starts flying again the airlines will really start cracking down on carry-on luggage and introducing new size restrictions. Not because of disease spread worries, but because they have to start making money again and make up for lost revenue.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just heard that Scoot has reduced its cabin baggage allowance to only 3kg as part of additional Covid-19 precautions.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    Just heard that Scoot has reduced its cabin baggage allowance to only 3kg as part of additional Covid-19 precautions.
    I don't see how that helps prevent disease spreading???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast