Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Picnic Bag

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picnic Bag

I'm looking to give a picnic bag as a wedding gift, filled will goodies. (My thinking is that they can also use it for groceries on non-picnic days.) I need some suggestions as to size. Monster truck? Truck? Has anyone taken these great bags on a picnic before?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aloha, I only have The Truck and find it really useful for grocery shopping. Not sure I could lug a Monster Truck filled with groceries, but they are probably young and I am definitely old! I think The Truck would be fine for a picnic for two, plus be very practical for shopping. I would consider a Monster Truck to keep my truck organized with some GET HOME stuff... in TB organizer pouches, of course. I love your idea!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @labrain ,

For a picnic bag, my choice would be the pickup truck. You can take a look at the new product video that was made to introduce new items at the end of last November, including the pickup truck and the monster truck (at the end of the video).

I’ll embed the video [New Designs! Handy Little Thing (HLT) Pouch, Icon, Pick-Up Truck, and Monster Truck]:

The section on the pickup truck starts around 3:20 into the sequence, and they show a pack up of this bag for a picnic. The monster truck is really large, and is shown at the end. For regular grocery shopping, I have been using the Truck and/or Shop Bags (at least until grocery stores here started going back to paper bags during the Covid-19 lock-downs). The pickup truck could work for small shops. It’s mostly that the size of the side pockets work well for water bottles or other beverage bottles, as well as food container pack ups, as you can see from the video, while larger grocery items, such as cereal boxes, would require the larger size of the Truck. And if you were buying really large size bulk cereal, paper products, etc., you might need the Monster Truck. (I ordered one of the Monster Trucks some weeks ago, but haven’t had a chance to use it, yet).

As for other picnic accessories, you might like to take a look at @sturbridge ’s 3D Clear Organizing Cube as portable picnic kit (because you never know...) thread for more ideas, although that was about putting together a minimalist set of items so that you were always prepared to picnic. One of the nice items that came up in those discussions was the Matador Pocket Blanket.

Hope this helps getting the discstarted.

moriond

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the pick up truck for picnics and have already used it a couple of times. I have a big collection of bento boxes, both big and small, and those go in the middle compartment. Water and an adult beverage go in the side pocket with utensils and napkins. And I usually still have room for my everyday cubelet which is used as my purse.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echoing the above: PickUp Truck, Truck, and I'd also reco the ZipTop Shop Bags if you are carrying a lot of packaged things and/or non-spill containers and don't need the open top/upright aspect of the Truck family.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the original truck and I think the Pick Up Truck looks roomy enough, for a picnic for 2, 3 or 4 persons.

More than 4 and, the original truck would be much better. For a big family, when a big cake is included with the picnic fare, definitely calls for a Monster Truck.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-02-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much great advice! Thanks everyone. I have a plan now. The video was great, as was the suggestion of the packable blanket. Hopefully picnics for us all, aren't too far in the future!

France
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my synapse for picnic (for 2 or 4) Big Grin

0.5L water bottles in side pockets is pretty neat
    just a Bihnion here