Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing first Synapse

Hi, everyone. I'm looking at the available Synapse 25s, and I'm leaning towards the darker gray, in the Ballistic nylon, but I'd like a bright interior (I've read that really helps you find your stuff), and the current one available has a light gray interior. I'm also not sure about the straps. The new Edgeless seem like the way to go, but are also not available. Is it worth waiting until later this year? I AM on a bit of a time crunch, as I live out of the country. My brother is mailing a package to me next week, and could include it then, or otherwise, my daughter is flying to see me in November and could bring it then. So, should I wait for the dark gray with the blue interior and edgeless straps to come out later this year at some point, or it's not necessary, and just pull the trigger now? Thanks for the help! I really do plan for this to be my FINAL bag, my ONLY 'everything' bag.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be aware that the TB crew are likely to be reviewing production schedules because of the impact of coronavirus on the business and that the lists of colours to be produced in future might change. So I would start by asking customer services about this - they may not be able to give you an answer yet but always worth opening the conversation.
    Second, the light grey interior , for me, is easier to find my way around in the bottom of a backpack precisely because it is a lighter colour than the blue. That said, I have a backpack with purple lining and have never had any trouble. So I think when it comes to interior colour, you should follow your heart.
    Ask yourself, do you like the blue lining enough to wait for an unknown period of time to get it? If you love the blue and think the grey lining is not for you, maybe you should wait. But if the only thing stopping you buying the grey/grey is that you thought the blue might be easier to see your stuff, then I would say buy the grey/grey now.
    Both strap types are excellent so I wouldn't let that influence your decision.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnbnd1 View Post
    Hi, everyone. I'm looking at the available Synapse 25s, and I'm leaning towards the darker gray, in the Ballistic nylon, but I'd like a bright interior (I've read that really helps you find your stuff), and the current one available has a light gray interior. I'm also not sure about the straps. The new Edgeless seem like the way to go, but are also not available. Is it worth waiting until later this year? I AM on a bit of a time crunch, as I live out of the country. My brother is mailing a package to me next week, and could include it then, or otherwise, my daughter is flying to see me in November and could bring it then. So, should I wait for the dark gray with the blue interior and edgeless straps to come out later this year at some point, or it's not necessary, and just pull the trigger now? Thanks for the help! I really do plan for this to be my FINAL bag, my ONLY 'everything' bag.
    Welcome to the Forums @ocnbnd1 !

I echo what @gqb said... timing and product availability are likely to be uncertain for quite some time.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to throw a wrench in the whole thing but while I think that while the old style bound straps on the Synapse are very good and I don’t intend to “upgrade” to the edgeless style straps by replacing my older Synapses, I do think that the new edgeless style as found on the Synik are superior for all day comfort, about as comfortable to sweat in, and aesthetically more preferable. I personally would not be buying a new Synapse today without edgeless straps.

On the flip side, there is some question in my mind about the durability of the edgeless straps- they do look and feel like they are less tough a material than the older bounds straps due to the stretchiness of the fabric, but I just have to trust in Tom and Nik that they meet an expected level of durability/longevity. The bound straps are tried and true as I have really used my Synapse 19 very hard.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnbnd1 View Post
    I have been agonizing about this, too, living in Hawaii with excruciating shipping costs: buy stocked items or take a big risk that in-production items will eventually be available...

I have used two interior colors: island and ultraviolet. The island is a gorgeous color and VERY BRIGHT. I prefer the UV which is a little less glaring and square in my favorite range (purple/pink). I donít mind the island interior, but it isnít my fave (I actually just ďgaveĒ away my black/island Synapse 25 to my brother with STRICT instructions to give it back of he doesnít like it), anticipating that I will like the NWS interior better (from a practical standpoint it will be easier to see my island and uv key straps, and other dark items, even though it does lack that pop of color).
    i am female, very practical, fairly conservative (my exterior colors are mostly black, but Iím branching out to greys and aubergine), and new to the tb fan club... i only use a Synapse on a regular basis (but I use it daily and realized how much joy it gives me, so am ordering one of everything else! eventually!... one at a time!) i hope i love the Synik as much as the Synapse (I really donít think I will bcuz i donít move my laptop around as of now), but there are some intriguing design elements to experience.

i know my sunday ramblings are not helpful. i feel your pain.. my opinion is to purchase the in-stock items now while the getting is good ~ i suspect it is going to take a while to catch up and am devastated that my wish list items might not ever be made... you will enjoy your Synapse!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ocnbnd1 Smilie
    My advice is to wait for your desired colour combo. Many forum members have traded or sold a bag, just to repurchase the same bag in the colour they LOVE. Rather than a meh, an ok colour because it was the colour available. Also members combine orders to reduce shipping cost, so, depending on where you are don't let the family drop off sway you. If you are Australian then HI! We have really friendly group orders to Australia. Finally, if your bag isnt needed straight away for a trip or work, you may have the breathing room to try on the edgeless / normal straps at a meetup before pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by bijoux; 05-18-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the NWS (grey) interior. I love the variety of colors offered in TB bags but find the grey the easiest to use as an interior for large bags. I can find things easily and it doesnít overwhelm the other items in the bag. I have a Side Effect with the blue interior, and though a lovely color, Iíve grown tired of it. I think the grey is timeless.

Buy the exterior you want the most and accessorize to add color!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    My advice is to wait for your desired colour combo. Many forum members have traded or sold a bag, just to repurchase the same bag in the colour they LOVE.
    +1. Another option is have a used Synapse 25 bought on US Ebay in close to your preferred color (there seems to be a steady 3-8 Synapse 25's on ebay, many sell for half of new price) The edgeless straps didn't suddenly make the Synapse 25 a great bag, it was great already. When TB production catches up and makes your preferred color you will have known what you like about the Synapse (colors, straps, etc), you can order with confidence exactly what you like while not having to live months without any Synapse. May also save some customs or taxes versus a new bag plus when you have your forever bag, your used one can be ebay-ed for some cost recovery. Do know there is a risk with this method- You will be ordering more than a Synapse with your forever order.