Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water bottle size for Synik 30

I have a Synik 30 on order right now and I would like to be able to utilize the bottle holder if possible. Problem is that I need the water bottle to be as big as possible because I work long shifts (12 hour shifts now...soon to go to 10 hour shifts). Iíve been taking an older half gallon Yeti Rumbler with me to work for several years now, and Iíd like to downsize if I can, Iím just curious as to how wide of a bottle can fit in the bottle pocket of the Synik 30.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don’t use the Yeti Ramblers, but you can check my reply posts in the First time Tom Bihn customer! Help! Unusual questions Smilie from late March for links to pictures and discussions of various Yeti Rambler water bottles in the Syniks. I’d guess that the 40 liter Hydroflask might fit into Synik, based on the many previous discussions and pictures for how this fit into the Synapse 19 and Synapse 25 water bottle pockets, except it wasn’t possible to close the zipper.. Again, I don’t have this model.

For the record, in discussions of what maximally sized water bottles fit into water bottle pockets of bags, it’s usually details about the size and shape of the cap that can make the difference, rather than the diameter of the bottle. Sometimes, changing the cap can make a bottle fit. Some people carry additional (slimmer) water bottles in the side pockets.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links to those pics. It looks like the Hydroflask 40 oz will fit, which is the particular model I was hoping would fit in that pocket (it’s the biggest water bottle below a half gallon). I wasn’t concerned about being able to zip it up, in fact I just assumed most water bottles would be too tall anyway, so I didn’t even think about the cap shape. I was more concerned with the total diameter of the bottle and if it will fit in the pocket.

My wife has an older 40 oz Camelbak bottle so I’m going to take it to work for my next few work days and see if it’s going to be big enough to last the whole shift. At this job I have access to decent drinking water to refill so there is that option. But I will be starting a new job June 1st and I’m not sure if I will have that option there. It’s at a data center that is currently under construction, and while they will have a kitchen area for us, I don’t know for a fact if they will have decent water available for us (it’s in a Chicago area suburb and city water around here generally isn’t all that good....I live north of Chicago and I’m on a well so with a water softener I have great water at home).

My previous job was at a manufacturing facility and the only option to refill was nasty city water there so that’s why I carried around the half gallon jug to work. I just recently realized I likely don’t need that much capacity anymore....leading to this thread. Plus, there was no climate control in the summer so there were times I’d drink the full 64 oz in that jug....now that I’m working at data centers where it’s climate controlled everywhere I doubt I’ll be drinking as much water.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hydro flask wide mouth series have the same diameter, so the 40z will fit like a 32oz width wise but it will protude out quite a bit from the top. the 24oz standard mouth which is slightly shorter already cannot be zipped and protrudes a little.

Regarding camelbak chute mag, the 32oz also fit fine width and length wise.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etnt View Post
    The hydro flask wide mouth series have the same diameter, so the 40z will fit like a 32oz width wise but it will protude out quite a bit from the top. the 24oz standard mouth which is slightly shorter already cannot be zipped and protrudes a little.

Regarding camelbak chute mag, the 32oz also fit fine width and length wise.
    Hi @etnt ,

Hopefully, someone will post a picture for the Synik 30 and the Hydroflask to answer the question of fit. I did say that the experience in the Synapse 19 and Synapse 25 was that the 40 liter Hydro Flask (which has a flat lid, unlike the standard top for the 24 liter Hydro Flask), could not be zipped shut. For pictures, my post (#8, dated 09-16-2016)in the Synapse 19 + Hydroflask 21oz Standard Mouth thread shows pictures and descriptive text posted in the forums for various Hydro Flask models that are larger than the 21 oz Hydro Flask that many carry in the Synapse 19 and Synapse 25 (e.g. 24 oz and 40 oz in the Synapse 25, 40 oz and 32 oz in the Synapse 19) to show where the constraints lie. There’s also an included Hydro Flask graphic that helps show the differences between these models, and also how the cap design figures into these constraints:

You can see from the graphic that the design of the default cap shown plays a substantial part in the maximum height of the water bottle and its fit and that the top of 24 oz Hydroflask cap sticks up above the flat cap of the 40 oz model.

I have a 1 liter Sigg water bottle (a version that is no longer made) that can fit into Synik 22 or Synik 30 water bottle pocket (as well as the pockets of the Synapses), simply because the cap doesn’t protrude as much as with the Hydroflasks, so it seems reasonable that there are other models of similar capacity that would fit — but I can only post the available information from forum posts on the Hydroflasks.

Thanks for your contributions.

HTH

moriond

@azbandit commented in his My First Trip With The Synik 30 thread that “My 32oz (Hydroflask) can also fit but it causes the Synik to bulge more than I am comfortable with”.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water bottle size for Synik 30-screenshot-2020-05-20-1-21-22-pm-jpg
    My 24oz standard mouth is per the attached pic, similar to the wide mouth cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hereís a couple pics of the 40 oz Hydroflask in the bottle pocket of my Synik 30.

Water bottle size for Synik 30-d533c5fb-8039-4c36-ad88-fb36de338cb9-jpeg

Water bottle size for Synik 30-4306ceb1-f0be-46ce-9ebc-44ee5e8867fc-jpeg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    Here’s a couple pics of the 40 oz Hydroflask in the bottle pocket of my Synik 30.

Water bottle size for Synik 30-d533c5fb-8039-4c36-ad88-fb36de338cb9-jpeg

Water bottle size for Synik 30-4306ceb1-f0be-46ce-9ebc-44ee5e8867fc-jpeg
    Awesome. Thanks for the pics. The Camelback bottle I have now is around quarter of an inch wider than the Hydroflask you have....is there enough room that you think the Camelbak bottle I have might fit? Or is it pretty snug with your bottle in there? I’m not concerned about closing the zipper....just wondering if I can fit the bottle in there or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would fit fine if not zipped. The hydroflask gets canted a bit when the pocket is zipped.