Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Will a 16" Macbook Pro fit in the Synapse 25??

Hi everyone,

As the title asks, will a 16" Macbook Pro fit in the Synapse 25? I tried searching the forums and couldn't really find what i was looking for. And is it a good idea to use the cache system to store my laptop? I'm new to the forums and the Tom Bihn world. As of now, I only have the Nik's minimalist wallet and several masks for me and my wife. Ideally I would love to get the 30 Synik but I actually prefer how the Synapse is not a full clamshell body. And the nearly $100 price difference is appealing as well. Currently I have a 15" MBP but would like to future-proof the bag. Thanks in advance!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @tofulosophy

Yes, the 16” MacBook Pro will fit into the Synapse 25. I’ll point you to:
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/2019-16-macbook-pro
    This shows all the bags that will fit the 16” MacBook Pro on the product pages, and includes the Synapse 25. I’ll quote the text for that page here:

Quick Guide: the correct size of our protective and checkpoint-friendly Cache laptop sleeve for the 16" Macbook Pro is the 15C Cache.

All of our 16" MacBook Pro bags are listed here. Some of the bags listed here have built-in protection for devices such as the 16" MacBook Pro, while others require our Cache laptop sleeve. Note that the right size of Cache for the 15" MacBook Pro is the “15C (16" Macbook Pro or Pre-2017 15" Macbook Pro)”. If you already have a protective sleeve for your 16" MacBook Pro that works for you, you can likely use that in any of these bags; just note that it won't clip in like the Cache would.
    I’ll let other forum members weigh in on their use of the cache; I do use one for the Synapse 25. To put your question in perspective, the current 16” MacBook Pro (Late 2019 models with 5th generation design) are actually slightly smaller than the first 15” Retina MacBook Pros to appear without the Touchbar (e.g., Mid 2015 with 3rd generation processor). So all the people using the Synapse 25 with their 15” MacBook Pros actually had to downsize their caches when the touchbar models came out. Here are the specs:

15” Retina MacBook Pro from 2015
    14.13 in (35.9 cm) wide 9.73 in (24.7 cm) deep 0.71 in (1.8 cm) high (15")

16” MacBook Pro from 2019
    14.09 in (35.79 cm) wide x 9.68 in (24.59 cm) deep x 0.64 in (1.62 cm) high

The 15” Retina MacBook Pro Touchbar models (4th generation processor, late 2016 to mid 2019)
    13.75 in (34.93 cm) wide 9.48 in (24.07 cm) deep 0.61 in (1.55 cm) high (15")

Quote Originally Posted by tofulosophy View Post
    Hi everyone,

As the title asks, will a 16" Macbook Pro fit in the Synapse 25? I tried searching the forums and couldn't really find what i was looking for. And is it a good idea to use the cache system to store my laptop? I'm new to the forums and the Tom Bihn world. As of now, I only have the Nik's minimalist wallet and several masks for me and my wife. Ideally I would love to get the 30 Synik but I actually prefer how the Synapse is not a full clamshell body. And the nearly $100 price difference is appealing as well. Currently I have a 15" MBP but would like to future-proof the bag. Thanks in advance!
    We usually get questions about whether the 16” MacBook Pro can fit into the Synik 22 (interior), to put your question in another context. (People don’t worry about whether the Synapse 25 will fit this size laptop).

For answers to that question (16” MacBookPro in Synik 22), see my post (#602, dated 03-06-2020) in the long Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers thread, and look at the picture posted by @skeelo34 on 02-02-2020 in the Could I cram a 15" MacBook Pro into the Synik 22's main compartment? thread. I should probably summarize this as saying that the laptop will physically fit, but it’s not recommended for regularly carry because the width of the 16” MacBook Pro means that when the bag is upright, the laptop’s bottom two corners are supporting the weight where the bag starts to curve, rather than having the bottom edge rest on a reinforced flat support base.

HTH,

moriond

ETA: source of dimensions is this Wikipedia article on the MacBook Pro line:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro
    Last edited by moriond; 06-08-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this was super helpful. Thanks! And I have the 15" MBP from 2015 but I had no idea the 16" is actually a little smaller. That's awesome. I do prefer the size of the smaller bags but don't want to 'cram' the larger laptop into it so instead, I'd opt for the larger bags. Again, thanks so much!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello - I've been using my Synapse 25 for over 2 years with my Macbook Pro 13".. well the battery finally "got swole", and work forced me into a MBP 16". It almost fits in my 13" cache!

Anyway, I found this searching to see if the Synapse 25 will fit the 16".. and if there was a cache available. I did find the linked to page, but I can't find place on the site to order it. I'm sure it's obvious, but if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsurles View Post
    Hello - I've been using my Synapse 25 for over 2 years with my Macbook Pro 13".. well the battery finally "got swole", and work forced me into a MBP 16". It almost fits in my 13" cache!

Anyway, I found this searching to see if the Synapse 25 will fit the 16".. and if there was a cache available. I did find the linked to page, but I can't find place on the site to order it. I'm sure it's obvious, but if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.
    Hi @jsurles ,

When I check the web page for the cache in the 15C size you want, it shows that this model caches is currently not in stock, but you can sign up to be emailed when it is available. I would probably contact Customer Support directly, either via chat, phone or email options, to find out if they have an estimate of when that model cache might be restocked.

HTH, and welcome to the forums,

moriond