Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HLT #1 in a Parental Unit?

Iíve ordered (and will receive June 16) a black Halcyon Parental Unit. So excited! Having never seen one IRL, Iím checking out possible interior organizing options. I will be using the PU as an EDC (not a work bag), hoping itís not too big with my very light daily load and on my medium size female 5í7Ē frame - but Iíve drooled over this bag for 2 years and final caved in to some pandemic shopping. I really like the shape, I just want another Bihn bag to carry around every day and options are limited for a PLO. My daily bag has been a black Halcyon Co-Pilot, which I love.

I am fascinated with the HLT#1. Will it comfortably fit in the PU? If so, where will it fit best? If itís full, will it get so fat that the PU bulges? I donít want to turn the PU into a fat football. Iím probably going to utilize the zipper in the center compartment.

The other things that will be carried daily in the PU are a couple of personal item bags (about 8x4x2 each), a tiny wallet, the smallest Ghost Whale, mints, car keys, big iPhone, smallish sunglass case. Occasionally a thick Pocket size Filofax. All these things just disappeared magically into the Co-Pilot.

I also carried a small notebook and a padded pen wallet with lots of Pigma Micron pens in the Co-Pilot, and thatís what got me looking at the HLT. And I thought it might be handy to yank out of the PU for dog walks instead of filling my pockets with phone, keys, treats etc.

Iím assuming the HLT#2 is too big. Are there other TB organizers I should be considering? Any other thoughts about organizing the PU so that it keeps a slimmer profile would be much appreciated.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just so happen to have a Parental Unit and a HLT1 so I was able to try this for you. In the first picture, I placed my fully loaded HLT1 into the middle compartment of the front pocket and as you can see it fits quite nicely there. The second picture shows the front pocket zipped up with the HLT1 inside and it does not protrude at all. My best advice when packing the Parental Unit is to max out the capacity by using the large space in the middle and only one of the side pockets, otherwise you will run into a large football shape which makes it harder to carry. Having one of the side pockets empty or with less stuff will allow you to wear that part flat against your body as you're carrying it.

I would think a HLT 2 would fit ok too, the Parental Unit has tons of storage and with the unzippable divider in the middle - you can carry big things too such as a 15" laptop like I do. Smilie

HLT #1 in a Parental Unit?-unknown-jpeg

HLT #1 in a Parental Unit?-unknown-1-jpeg
    S25 | GP | WF | YD | MCB

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, thank you! Wow, those middle front/back pockets are much deeper than I thought. What do you use your PU for? I’m hoping, by choosing the Halcyon PU, that it will be a bit more floppy and smooshable when under-loaded, that it sort of collapses and drapes like my MB does. The size of the PU has been a big internal debate for me...I see a lot of modeling pics but the folks who post those pics usually have the PU maxed out with stuff to show the load capacity. Cristina (I may be spelling her name wrong!) was kind enough to post photos of a lightly packed PU but I still couldn’t get a good feel for it.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning on using it for EDC to the office but with the whole virus thing, I have not had a chance to use it much so I am actually selling it. The PU is definitely bigger in person than you think it is by looking at pictures online and it's organization galore. Love the idea of the bag but it just won't work out for me unfortunately.
    S25 | GP | WF | YD | MCB