Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guide's Pack strap thickness

Hi there,

Was thinking about buying a Synik and then got lured toward the Guide Pack, but from watching a Chase Reeves video, it looked like the straps were thin (relatively) like the Synapse's rather than nice and thick like the Synik's. I thought if ever there was a pack calling out for nice tough straps it was that Guide's Pack. Could anyone let me know: are the straps in fact like Synapase straps?

Thanks a lot.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @del ,

in this blog post you‘ll find the necessary information. The Guide‘s Pack now has the new super comfy edgeless shoulder straps.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @del ,
    @bartleby was one of the folks who provided feedback on the strap redesign for the edgeless straps as they were implemented for the Guide’s Pack, since he already owned the Guide’s Pack in the original bound strap version. If you want to see some pictures of him hiking with the Guide’s Pack in the Black Forest, about one year before the redesigned straps were offered, take a look at this post (#1605, dated 11-04-2018) in the Where did your TB bag go lately thread. You can see that at that time backpack straps used the original bound straps.

The new edgeless straps should also be used in the upcoming, soon to debut, redesigned Shadow Guide version 2. I’m pretty interested in that bag, since that bag, which is a kind of stripped down, stealth version of the Guide’s Pack, debuted at a time when the backpack strap design was just changing, inspired by the then-new Luminary. So I found this surprisingly comfortable to wear, despite the fact that, at just under 5’4” compared to @bartleby ’s 6’, I was clearly not the target demographic for the design of this bag, and was probably just tall enough to wear it. The new Shadow Guide version 2 is supposed to have a version designed for shorter people to wear, so that’s really exciting for me!

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, both of you.

Moriond, you've given me something else to think about now with the mention of the Shadow Guide. I guess the main differences will be fewer strap holders and color? One of the attractions of the Guide Pack for me is the parapack material. And if the Shadow Guide is black, which anything shadowy probably has to be, well, I've got several black packs already — maybe I need a change of pace.

But back to the straps. I'm just a little confused now. I bought my Synapse 25 about a year ago, I think, maybe just before or around the time that the Synik came out. I was under the impression that this pack also has what are called "edgeless" straps (maybe I’m wrong about this and my pack doesn’t have them — the edge is soft but there is an extra band of material going around the edge of the strap...). All the reviews of the Synik touted its "thicker" edgeless straps. So I'm wondering if all the straps got a redesign at some point and my Synapse has the same straps that are on the Synik and Guide Pack?

Just to get it straight — and apologies if I’m being really “thick” myself: 1) from my description above, do I have edgeless straps on my synapse? 2) If I do have edgeless straps on my Synapse, are the Synik / Guide Pack edgeless straps even thicker?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by del; 06-25-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @del , the original straps were just called straps I think... then the Luminary came out with a cushier strap.... updated versions of that were then added to other packs and became known as 'edgeless straps' vs the original 'bound' straps... @moriond can correct me if I have that order wrong...

The Synapse pages have good descriptions of the difference because for a while both versions were available:
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...31746625142847
    If you look at the close up photo of the back of the bag that shows the mesh back and the straps close up, you'll see that the edges of the straps are 'bound' - have a fabric tape sewn around the edges... that's the original (bound) strap

If your pack has straps that look like the edgeless ones in this blog post, then you have edgeless
    https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/guides-pack-update

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if we might get more Guide's Packs (and accessories) available soon? I know we're getting new Shadow Guide options so I keep crossing my fingers that maybe the Guide's Pack (the outside pockets are vital for me) will get restocked at the same time.