Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I get some guidance on best options for carrying around these items?

I need to do some simple recording a few times a week, and I've got a mic (that's in the big, round case), the cold shoe mount, a Glif, and the smaller tripod (which. needs to be replaced, but I'll need room for something similar anyway). I also use my iPad as a reference, so I need to have that with me, as well. I've got a larger tripod that I can cary easily outside of a bag, so I'm not sweating that much.

I've got a Synik 30 on the way to me, so something that I could (maybe) stash in there would be nice, and keeping it all together would be good, too, to eliminate too many loose pieces. I'd like to be able to grab a bag, go to my recording site, and be set up without too much worry of leaving something behind or something falling out.

That's a 9.7" iPad, just for the record.

Thanks everyone!

Can I get some guidance on best options for carrying around these items?-img_1247-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how thick is the mic case?

A Pilot or Luminary 15 might work well for this...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He might be able to use a Small Cafe Bag (depending on mike case thickness). My thoughts went to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, or a Co-Pilot. (I would use my Icon if I were carrying that — it takes my 11” iPad Pro and other items.

moriond

California
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how thick the mic case is, you might be able to fit all that in a PCSB. You could also use a size 1 travel stuff sack for the tripod parts so they don't dent the iPad case.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomepants View Post
    Depending on how thick the mic case is, you might be able to fit all that in a PCSB. You could also use a size 1 travel stuff sack for the tripod parts so they don't dent the iPad case.
    Yes, I looked up some dimensions of Caseline microphone cases, and if it were for something like the Røde microphones (3.9 x 3.8 x 2.2 inches) you could probably use a PCSB. Various options for the accessories.

Since we can’t see the depth dimensions, we need more information.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies; I didn't think about sharing dimensions on the case; it's 6.4" L x 5.2" W 4.15" H.

I don't think the cafebag will work, and something like a stuff sack might be my best option, or something else entirely. I don't know how critical the mic is because I'm still not sold on it's overall usefulness. I need to go back and compare some recordings with it and without it.

Thanks again.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by father_dawg View Post
    Thanks for the replies; I didn't think about sharing dimensions on the case; it's 6.4" L x 5.2" W 4.15" H.

I don't think the cafebag will work, and something like a stuff sack might be my best option, or something else entirely. I don't know how critical the mic is because I'm still not sold on it's overall usefulness. I need to go back and compare some recordings with it and without it.

Thanks again.
    The suggestions are all going to be driven by the dimensions of your microphone case. It’s too thick to fit into a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag along with your iPad. There really aren’t many good solutions (short of dedicated larger bags) when the depth of that one component is 4.15”. I think you’re probably going to be looking at the Size 4 Travel Stuff Sack if you want it to hold your iPad, as well. Or, you could put these items into a Small Zip Top Shop Bag that you carried inside your Synik 30. (You could always repurpose it for general use if you didn’t want it for your recording equipment; Shop bags are great).

If I could recommend anything that Tom BIHN ever made in the way of accessories, I would point you to their now-retired, and vastly under-appreciated Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes, which are and were unique in their accessory product line for their ability to hold deep objects, and also for the dual handles for carrying their deeper/ larger contents. I’ll poin you to my thread on The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes so you can see pictures, in case you ever have an opportunity to buy or swap for these. The small YD Packing Cube is an excellent match to the depth of your microphone case and could hold the tripod, glif, etc. beside it. If you needed a single accessory Packing Cube that also holds your iPad, the Medium YD Packing Cube would work, but I’d put the iPad in a cache inside it. From the other comparison photos, two of the Small YD Packing Cubes fit neatly into a small shop bag, and the Medium YD Packing Cube is slightly smaller than a Co-Pilot, but without all the divided sections.

If someone has your exact case, they might also check whether this fits the Travel Tray, but a box of similar size with rectangular corners is too tight to fit neatly because of the hard edges of the corners.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, can you just leave it in the Synik full-time? So when you need to record something you grab your backpack and not worry about packing anything? All of this would fit in one of the external pockets, except the iPad of course, pretty easily. This is essentially what I do with mine, leaving the main compartment free for pretending I can travel again.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s probably the most financially sound decision, but since I’ve got a pre-order set up already, I was thinking I’d see what other possibilities were out there. My kid has a kavu rope sling backpack that might be pretty easy to use, and since the filming normally takes place around the office, I just wanted something small and simple to grab and go with.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @ rmedek,

Yours is a good suggestion, but it won’t work for @father_dawg because of the size of his case. I should probably have mentioned that one of the series of things that I checked. The closest usable configuration, even though it is not quite wide enough to do this gracefully, is the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I’m sure that can hold his equipment, but because his microphone case is as deep as it is, he might not be able to use it to also hold his iPad, especially if the requirement is that everything, including the iPad, fit safely into a single bag. there are lots of microphone cases where this would be true, which is why both @Awesomepants and I suggested this. It’s tall enough to hold an iPad. At 3” wide, you can overfill its depth and still use it as a carrying accessory. The point is that you can’t both overfill it’s depth with a 4.15” height case, and also expect it to carry an iPad. I also checked whether it would be possible to use the Synik 30 side pockets, and you can’t — not with a case that is both 4.15” deep and largely rectangular.

I approximated the (rectangular) cross-section with two G-Drive Mobile USB drive boxes. (They don’t reach 4.15” depth, but the cross-section allowed me to check whether the case would fit into a Travel Tray, whose collar does have the depth to hold the microphone case and some accessories. No go, unless the edges are a lot rounder than they look.)

The combined dimensions of my 2 box approximation were: 6.4”x5.05”x3.6”
    Compare this to the 6.4”x5.2”x4.15” that @father_dawg gave

There is no way that my simulated 2-box stand-in for his microphone case would ever fit into the Synik 30 side pockets. I can only just barely manage to insert them into the open pocket — and that’s only because I was able to break apart the two boxes and slide them in one at a time. There is no way to even think of closing the zipper — even though this is still half an inch short of the actual thickness of the microphone case in question. To put this in perspective, the maximum distance from side flap of compartment to zipper edge is 4” at the bottom of the flap. His case is 4.15” deep. To accommodate the case the zipper flap would have to be designed to rise straight up from the sides of the bag, and even then, it wouldn’t close.

On the other hand, my 2-box simulation of his microphone case allowed me to check that all the accessories would have fitted beautifully in the Yeoman Duffel Small Packing Cube, which perfectly matches his case depth.

Maybe some lunchbox case could hold this microphone case?

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    There is no way that my simulated 2-box stand-in for his microphone case would ever fit into the Synik 30 side pockets. I can only just barely manage to insert them into the open pocket — and that’s only because I was able to break apart the two boxes and slide them in one at a time.
    It'd fit easily into the "chin" pocket, though, or the mic case in one side pocket and the accessories in the other. (I have just pulled a 7"x5"x4" cable case out of my Synik's side pocket so I know this at least is possible.) Either way it's moot since OP doesn't want to use the backpack. Wink

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmedek View Post
    It'd fit easily into the "chin" pocket, though, or the mic case in one side pocket and the accessories in the other. (I have just pulled a 7"x5"x4" cable case out of my Synik's side pocket so I know this at least is possible.) Either way it's moot since OP doesn't want to use the backpack. Wink
    Yeah, the backpack might be okay, but not knowing exactly how big it'll look IRL yet, sometime smaller was what I had in mind. We'll see, and I'll report back!

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m gonna revisit this and ask about the Ristretto. It looks like the mic would be a tight fit, but it also looks like a good size for everything else.