Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack

Hey yíall! My favorite bag of all time by TB is the A30 packing cube backpack, one of the features I love on it is itís ability to add a waist strap. I need a bit more room in certain cases so I was eyeing the A45 packing cube backpack (hopefully in sitka once they start using is again) and I cannot tell if it has the loops to add a waist strap, the pics donít show it and there is nothing about it in the description, I am assuming it doesnít, but wanted to double check. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Hey y’all! My favorite bag of all time by TB is the A30 packing cube backpack, one of the features I love on it is it’s ability to add a waist strap. I need a bit more room in certain cases so I was eyeing the A45 packing cube backpack (hopefully in sitka once they start using is again) and I cannot tell if it has the loops to add a waist strap, the pics don’t show it and there is nothing about it in the description, I am assuming it doesn’t, but wanted to double check. Thanks!
    Hi @melminimalist ,

You’re correct; the Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut 45 doesn’t have a waist strap. You’d have to try hacking adding one on to where the 1” webbing at the bottom of the backpack straps attaches to the triangular the triangle of Halcyon that affixes to the Packing Cube Backpack, and I don’t know whether this would be successful, given the angling. You can kind of see the way this is attached by looking at the last picture in the current product page of the PCBP for A45 worn, viewed from the side.

The best pictures of the PCBP for A45 for your purposes (seeing how it works, what the dimensions are, what can fit into each of the pockets — as opposed to what it looks like when worn with different color combinations), can be found by going to the early product pages, just as, in general, the most complete descriptions of how new products work, from the point of view of explaining things to someone seeing this for the first time, generally show up in the forums in threads/reviews about these near the product debut days.

I’m going to point you to one of the early (May 14, 2013) Product Pages for the Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) accessed through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. this is about as early as I can go, an still access the photos (before this they used mouse over and JavaScript, and usually only the first picture, if that, can now be retrieved).

There are 14 product pictures, and I’m going to skip the ones of Tom wearing this in the mountains (TB0925_04b.jpg), and the two at the end that show the product in Iberian and Wasabi instead of Steel (TB0925_11b.jpg and TB0925_12b.jpg). But, since navigating the photo strip of the archived page is a pain on my iPad, I’m just going to pull the other pictures out for you here.
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_02b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_03b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_05b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_06b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_07b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_08b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_09b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_10b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_11b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_12b-jpg
    Don’t know whether there’s still a 10 embedded photo limit, but I’ll put in the first picture, which I skipped in case that’s the case, here:
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_01b-jpg

HTH

moriond

ETA: Looks like I can add more than 10 attachments, so here are side views of the PCBP in Iberian and Wasabi. you can see that the 1” webbing is sewn onto a Halcyon bit that is basically triangle shaped. The long end of the triangle runs vertically and is sewn to the PCBP. basically, a waist strap would run from the vertical seam on one side of the bag to the vertical seam of the corresponding triangular flap sewn on the other side of the bag. The backpack straps are sewn ro rhe top edge of the triangular tab, so they will angle up.with the 1” wide webbing end attached to that tab, and adjustments for how that length connects to the wider webbing that makes up the backpack straps.

Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_13b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_14b-jpg

If I had to try hacking this, I would try some of the One Tigris connectors that can hook on to 1” wide webbing, and feature a loop that you can snap into angled positions. It’s in one of @ceepee ’s posts, but I’ll need to find the reference and add it one. I have too many windows open to copy and pasted to easily run the search at the same time, since this is on my iPad.

ETA2: Copying part of one of my posts about the One Tigris Clips. These click and lock into 8 positions at 45 degree angles, which is why I thought they might get you a horizontal attachment position on your webbing, which will be attached to the PCBP at an angle via that triangular tab. this still may not work.

Anyway, @ceepee has an old post in the 2017 wishlist thread that I referenced in another thread asking about ways of dealing with car keys. Those One-Tigris clips can attach to the webbing on your Synapse backpack straps and the attached D-ring can be rotated into multiple positions. That might work for you. I included a link to this product at (U.S.) Amazon that still works.
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Meglet,

If you don't want the position of your carabiner attachment to the Small Cafe Bag webbing strap to shift, you can use one of the OneTigris clips that @ceepee mentioned in a reply post (#224) in the 2017 Wish List thread:

The usage case was for attaching an "O-ring" to the Synapse webbing, but these devices can also be rotated 90 degrees, or 45 degrees and click into a fixed position, if you want to attach to the webbing of your Cafe Bag, and not have the ring slide along the webbing, as a Carabiner would. Then just clip any keystrap onto the ring. Sorry I don't have a picture handy, but I tried this with a Cafe Bag.

Personally, I use a Mini Q-Kit to hold keys (and a small flashlight).

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-13-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @melminimalist ,

Youíre correct; the Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut 45 doesnít have a waist strap. Youíd have to try hacking adding one on to where the 1Ē webbing at the bottom of the backpack straps attaches to the triangular the triangle of Halcyon that affixes to the Packing Cube Backpack, and I donít know whether this would be successful, given the angling. You can kind of see the way this is attached by looking at the last picture in the current product page of the PCBP for A45 worn, viewed from the side.

The best pictures of the PCBP for A45 for your purposes (seeing how it works, what the dimensions are, what can fit into each of the pockets ó as opposed to what it looks like when worn with different color combinations), can be found by going to the early product pages, just as, in general, the most complete descriptions of how new products work, from the point of view of explaining things to someone seeing this for the first time, generally show up in the forums in threads/reviews about these near the product debut days.

Iím going to point you to one of the early (May 14, 2013) Product Pages for the Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) accessed through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. this is about as early as I can go, an still access the photos (before this they used mouse over and JavaScript, and usually only the first picture, if that, can now be retrieved).

There are 14 product pictures, and Iím going to skip the ones of Tom wearing this in the mountains (TB0925_04b.jpg), and the two at the end that show the product in Iberian and Wasabi instead of Steel (TB0925_11b.jpg and TB0925_12b.jpg). But, since navigating the photo strip of the archived page is a pain on my iPad, Iím just going to pull the other pictures out for you here.
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_02b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_03b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_05b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_06b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_07b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_08b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_09b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_10b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_11b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_12b-jpg
    Donít know whether thereís still a 10 embedded photo limit, but Iíll put in the first picture, which I skipped in case thatís the case, here:
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_01b-jpg

HTH

moriond

ETA: Looks like I can add more than 10 attachments, so here are side views of the PCBP in Iberian and Wasabi. you can see that the 1Ē webbing is sewn onto a Halcyon bit that is basically triangle shaped. The long end of the triangle runs vertically and is sewn to the PCBP. basically, a waist strap would run from the vertical seam on one side of the bag to the vertical seam of the corresponding triangular flap sewn on the other side of the bag. The backpack straps are sewn ro rhe top edge of the triangular tab, so they will angle up.with the 1Ē wide webbing end attached to that tab, and adjustments for how that length connects to the wider webbing that makes up the backpack straps.

Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_13b-jpg
    Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack-tb0925_14b-jpg

If I had to try hacking this, I would try some of the One Tigris connectors that can hook on to 1Ē wide webbing, and feature a loop that you can snap into angled positions. Itís in one of @ceepee ís posts, but Iíll need to find the reference and add it one. I have too many windows open to copy and pasted to easily run the search at the same time, since this is on my iPad.
    Thank you @moriond incredibly helpful as always, Iíll be picking this up in sitka when it makes it back on the market and try a few hacks, Iíll let yíall know how I do. I hacked turning my A30 in fanny pack mode into a day hike lumbar bag complete with water bottle pockets, so I am definitely up for the challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB