Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3DOC inside small Snake Charmer

According to the dimensions, the Clear 3D Organizer Cube should fit in 1 side of the small Snake Charmer. Does it fill up the entire section? Does the SC zip come close to catching the 3DOC? I saw a photo of someone using the 3DOC for liquid toiletries and then placing it in 1 side of the large SC which serves as a catch-all dopp kit. I think that's a brilliant idea and would like to replicate it with the small SC. Based on other forum posts, it seems that even the small has plenty of room.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by latchford View Post
    According to the dimensions, the Clear 3D Organizer Cube should fit in 1 side of the small Snake Charmer. Does it fill up the entire section? Does the SC zip come close to catching the 3DOC? I saw a photo of someone using the 3DOC for liquid toiletries and then placing it in 1 side of the large SC which serves as a catch-all dopp kit. I think that's a brilliant idea and would like to replicate it with the small SC. Based on other forum posts, it seems that even the small has plenty of room.
    Hmmmm...
    I just tried it and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Black 3DOC Clear on top of a Fjord SSC

3DOC inside small Snake Charmer-img_20200723_193328-jpeg

3DOC inside the SSC

3DOC inside small Snake Charmer-img_20200723_193237-jpeg

Top view looking in...you can zip the SSC closed, but it does squish the 3DOC a bit and to me, it fills up the space.

3DOC inside small Snake Charmer-img_20200723_193253-jpeg

The 3DOC Clear is 7 x 4.3 x 2”....the SSC is 8.3 x 4.9 x 4.3”
    Once you factor in the seams and everything, it fits, but to me a 3DOC is basically half a SSC....
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G42 , thanks for the quick reply with photos! I'm jealous of your Fjord SC.

If it weren't for the airline 3-1-1 liquids rule, I'd rather have all my toiletries in a single, smaller dopp kit. Thus the idea of keeping the liquids in the 3DOC for security screening and then placing it in the SC afterwards so that all the toiletries are in 1 bag without having to transfer items between bags. I could use a ziplock baggie, but I couldn't resist the new Acuity 3DOC.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post

The 3DOC Clear is 7 x 4.3 x 2”....the SSC is 8.3 x 4.9 x 4.3”
    Once you factor in the seams and everything, it fits, but to me a 3DOC is basically half a SSC....
    What @G42 said. You can treat the small snake charmer as though it were two 3D Organizer Cubes stacked one on top of the other, but which can collapse down in depth if you leave one section empty or underfilled. I know that some people consider the Snake Charmers a more economical buy than the 3DOCs for that reason, but honestly there are just some instances where the 3DOC is exactly the right size for slipping into pockets, etc.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @latchford
    I usually carry a small Snake Charmer with my 'dry' toiletries (incld an electric toothbrush & cord, so I need the length of the SSC) and a clear 3DOC with my wet toiletries... It doesn't bother me to use two accessories for toiletries during travel. I'm Global Entry/TSA PreCheck, so I usually don't have to remove the 3DOC, but I still always segregate & use the 311 method, since you may be asked to at any time. I also always carry a quart plastic bag, just in case TSA objects to the actual 3DOC (none ever have).

On a whim, since @moriond 's comment put the idea in my head, I decided to see what two 3DOCs looked like stacked together. From there it was easy to actually connect two with the small size swivel carabiners to the O-rings... and I left the handle loop attached to one (that's what I normally use on the toiletry one)

For your edification and enjoyment, here are two clear 3DOCs stuffed with kitchen towels, masquerading as a Clear Small Snake Charmer (or maybe a baby clear quarter packing cube)

3DOC inside small Snake Charmer-img_20200723_215625-jpeg

3DOC inside small Snake Charmer-img_20200723_215637-jpeg
    Last edited by G42; 07-23-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond I actually like the idea of using the 3DOC as a toiletry kit because I prefer its shape and size over the SC, but my electric toothbrush doesn't fit.

@G42 Stacking the two 3DOCs and attaching them together with the swivel carabiners is a really clever idea. Thanks for trying it out! The only issue is my electric toothbrush not being able to fit. Having two separate accessories for toiletries is more of a user problem on my end, as I sometimes stay in accomodations with communal bathrooms, so picking up just one toiletry kit on the way reduces chances of leaving what I need behind.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue is my electric toothbrush not being able to fit. .
    Would the toothbrush fit diagonally in a Clear quarter packing cube? Big Grin

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @moriond I actually like the idea of using the 3DOC as a toiletry kit because I prefer its shape and size over the SC, but my electric toothbrush doesn't fit.

@G42 Stacking the two 3DOCs and attaching them together with the swivel carabiners is a really clever idea. Thanks for trying it out! The only issue is my electric toothbrush not being able to fit. Having two separate accessories for toiletries is more of a user problem on my end, as I sometimes stay in accomodations with communal bathrooms, so picking up just one toiletry kit on the way reduces chances of leaving what I need behind.
    If you want to see some more combinations of 3D Organizer Cubes rigged up as toiletry kits via Double Carabiners or Keystraps, take a look at some of the pictures and ideas at the end of the old Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well thread from 2014. @scribe 's post (#19, dated 04-26-2014) uses 8" keystraps to suspend the two 3DOCs:
    @Moose used (Medium) Double Swivel Carabiners for her solution (#26, dated 04-27-2014)

I also posted a picture in the Attn: moriond (please): Side Effect thread to show how this could be done using the slightly larger Side Effect for someone who was carrying their toothbrush in that accessory:

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    Would the toothbrush fit diagonally in a Clear quarter packing cube? Big Grin
    Based on the dimensions, it would!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    If you want to see some more combinations of 3D Organizer Cubes rigged up as toiletry kits via Double Carabiners or Keystraps, take a look at some of the pictures and ideas at the end of the old Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well thread from 2014. @scribe 's post (#19, dated 04-26-2014) uses 8" keystraps to suspend the two 3DOCs:
    Thanks for the links to all the posts. So many excellent ideas!

Downeast Maine
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been hundreds of really good “hacks” on the forum over the years. I’ve enjoyed every one of them.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!