Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Icon users - have you used it as a camera bag?

    Has anyone used the Icon as a camera bag with a padded insert? I知 still looking for a good way to carry my camera (m43) with one or two additional lenses in everyday life. My MCB works, but it痴 not really quick to access with the flap. I imagine the zipper would be easier... I知 not a huge fan of the look of the colored zippers on the Icon, but I could see myself carrying the stealthy all black version I think.

  2. #2
    Forum Member ClicketySnap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Share
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I have a Sidekick that I use for an EDC when I want to carry my Sony A6000 mirrorless camera, because it fits wonderfully on its end and is easy to reach. I wanted an Icon for travel days or gear-heavy days so that I could fit more camera stuff or shove a jacket in to keep my hands free.

    My mirrorless camera floats around in the bottom of the Icon, with space on both sides. I feel more prone to bumping the Icon against things or setting it down too hard, so I am more likely to use my neoprene camera wrap when using the Icon as a camera bag. I have no issues getting my camera in and out of the zippered openings.
    I also borrowed my mom's Canon DSLR set up, and had no problems putting the camera body with kit lens in the Icon with a 90mm macro lens. I was wishing for soft lens pouches or a camera bag divider to prevent the camera gear banging around together in the bottom of the bag, but I had no issues reaching what I wanted when I wanted it.

  3. #3
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - that sounds good! I think I’ll give the black one a try. Smilie I do have some padded insert/pouches I can use for transportation. I think the size should be good, my MCB works out well size wise with the additional EDC stuff...

  4. #4
    Forum Member Jeff A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Share
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Icon and I'm looking at the new Fuji x100v camera. I think a Tenba BYOB 7 or 9 might work inside of the Icon but not 100% sure.
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

  5. #5
    Forum Member Jeff A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Share
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClicketySnap View Post
    Yes! I have a Sidekick that I use for an EDC when I want to carry my Sony A6000 mirrorless camera, because it fits wonderfully on its end and is easy to reach. I wanted an Icon for travel days or gear-heavy days so that I could fit more camera stuff or shove a jacket in to keep my hands free.

    My mirrorless camera floats around in the bottom of the Icon, with space on both sides. I feel more prone to bumping the Icon against things or setting it down too hard, so I am more likely to use my neoprene camera wrap when using the Icon as a camera bag. I have no issues getting my camera in and out of the zippered openings.
    I also borrowed my mom's Canon DSLR set up, and had no problems putting the camera body with kit lens in the Icon with a 90mm macro lens. I was wishing for soft lens pouches or a camera bag divider to prevent the camera gear banging around together in the bottom of the bag, but I had no issues reaching what I wanted when I wanted it.
    Does your Sony A6000 bulge out of the Sidekick? I don't have a Sidekick (yet) but planning on a camera similar to the A6000. I do have an Icon though.
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

  6. #6
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I have an Icon and I'm looking at the new Fuji x100v camera. I think a Tenba BYOB 7 or 9 might work inside of the Icon but not 100% sure.
    I have the Tenba BYOB 7 (and a few other pouches). It fits into the MCB, but takes up more room than I like, so I usually just use some drawstring pouches for the camera/lens in the MCB. It would be great if the Tenba would fit into the Icon! The Icon is quite a bit deeper from the measurements, so it might work better.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Ape camera case and it provides padding and structure inside my DLBC which I use as camera bag. The outside pockets are handy for water bottle and wallet and won’t occupy same space as camera.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Share
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a retired industrial photographer. I struggled with a dozen different kinds of repurposed bags for decades till I finally convinced my boss to buy real tools designed to carry professional camera gear. Padded straps, protective linings, distributed weight, good ergonomics, ready and easy quick access to my tools.

  9. #9
    Forum Member BigBadD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    I am a retired industrial photographer. I struggled with a dozen different kinds of repurposed bags for decades till I finally convinced my boss to buy real tools designed to carry professional camera gear. Padded straps, protective linings, distributed weight, good ergonomics, ready and easy quick access to my tools.
    As a very amateur photographer, I am happy to use a combination of TB bags, for example Makers Bag or Daylight Briefcase or Daylight Backpack and combination of Tenba BYOB inserts, for my photography. But it would be a great new area if TB were to develop a dedicated camera bag.

  10. #10
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    I am a retired industrial photographer. I struggled with a dozen different kinds of repurposed bags for decades till I finally convinced my boss to buy real tools designed to carry professional camera gear. Padded straps, protective linings, distributed weight, good ergonomics, ready and easy quick access to my tools.
    Makes sense if you need to carry camera gear for the job... For me photography is just a hobby. I want to carry my camera in addition to my EDC stuff, and I haven’t found a camera bag yet that also worked well for non camera stuff. Also, most camera bags are just too big for my purpose, I usually only carry a small m43 camera with a prime lens, maybe a second lens in addition but that’s it. Plus camera bags always look like camera bags which I don’t like...

    I would love a TB sling bag though with side access so that you could access a camera from above with the bag in front! That would be a bag I’d instantly buy. I once had a Lowepro camera sling when I still had my bigger Canon gear which was awesome to use for photography, but useless as a normal bag.

  11. #11
    Forum Member Jeff A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Share
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please check out my post in Accessories & Organization, as it relates to this thread about an Icon and camera insert. Thanks!

    https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...anization.html
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

  12. #12
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Please check out my post in Accessories & Organization, as it relates to this thread about an Icon and camera insert. Thanks!

    https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...anization.html
    Thanks, looks awesome! Can't wait until I get mine to try it out. Smilie

  13. #13
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got my stealth Icon today and at first glance it looks good and like it should work well with the camera insert. I'll come back to post some pics once I've tested it out and have a setup.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •