Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 as a roller skating bag?

Any roller skating TB fans out there? I'm thinking about getting a synapse 19 to use as a skate bag (for quad skates) and wondering if they will fit. All I could find was a post about using the A30 for skates and derby gear, but I don't need to fit a helmet in there, so I'm hoping the S19 will be enough. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much gear do you have? If you just have skates and a few other small things it may work. If you need to carry pads too, it'll probably be too small.

I skate (quad) and have an S19 but have only used it to carry stuff (water, first aid, etc) while I'm out skating. I wear a full set of safety gear, and they're the bulky 187 pads, and I think the S19 will hold either my pads or my skates, but not both. I usually skate outdoors and am either near my house or my car, so my gear bag stays locked up there.

If I was out skating and it came down to it I could fit my pads in the S19, clip my helmet to it and carry my skates with a leash, but wouldn't be a good option to cart around everything.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loveandbacon View Post
    How much gear do you have? If you just have skates and a few other small things it may work. If you need to carry pads too, it'll probably be too small.

I skate (quad) and have an S19 but have only used it to carry stuff (water, first aid, etc) while I'm out skating. I wear a full set of safety gear, and they're the bulky 187 pads, and I think the S19 will hold either my pads or my skates, but not both. I usually skate outdoors and am either near my house or my car, so my gear bag stays locked up there.

If I was out skating and it came down to it I could fit my pads in the S19, clip my helmet to it and carry my skates with a leash, but wouldn't be a good option to cart around everything.
    Welcome to the Forums @loveandbacon ! Super helpful that you could share such specific experience - thanks!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loveandbacon View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply! I was hoping to fit knee pads in the bottom pocket and wrist ones in one of the side pockets, but I'm not very clear on proportions- my husband has a S30 and that is too big for me to carry. I was thinking a water bottle and then a 3DOC for first aid/lip balm, sunscreen, etc. in the other side pocket. So, the main compartment would just be the skates.

Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    I was hoping to fit knee pads in the bottom pocket and wrist ones in one of the side pockets.
    Follow up- I just checked, and I can fit my knee pads in a small snake charmer (one on each side) or both together in a #2 stuff sack. The wrist pads also fit in a #2 stuff sack with room left over (I don't have a #1 to check the fit with), or I can fit wrist pads in one side of a small snake charmer and elbow pads on the other side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I have played roller derby for 3-4 years and have an S19 that I use currently for my son's "diaper bag." I personally would never use an S19 for a skate bag. I don't know about you but for roller derby we wear ALL the pads and then some and always make sure to have extra tools, first aid stuff, snacks, water etc. I actually use a Timbuk2 roller duffel that is a great black hole bag to quickly take things in and out. I find black hole bags are easiest for me for something I have to take so much gear in and out of (when we get to play). My Timbuk2 bag has some organization. It was a good deal for the quality of the bag. $99 with their lifetime warranty. Also, all my roller derby stuff gets super scuffed and beat up pretty quickly and I'm someone who takes care of my things. I would be sad if my nice TB bag got ruined so quickly by roller derby.
    Last edited by amazingrace4u; 08-29-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to this thought. If I had to choose a TB bag to use for skates I would use one of the Aeronauts

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If single-shoulder carry isn't a deal killer, I think I would aim for a Truck or Monster Truck. They're also great for car carry, but not for bike carry.