Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Share
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?

    Hey all!

    So I'm currently at my family's beach trailer for the week, and I brought along my brand new Pilot with me on a kind of test run. So far, it's worked out pretty great-I absolutely love it. However, I've noticed one weird thing. It's really humid here and it seems to be reacting with the 400d Halcyon fabric. It's kind of wrinkling up and becoming bumpy. The weirdest thing is that this isn't happening to the 200d Halcyon lining or my Halcyon HLT, just the outside of my Pilot. Is this normal?
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Hey all!

    So I'm currently at my family's beach trailer for the week, and I brought along my brand new Pilot with me on a kind of test run. So far, it's worked out pretty great-I absolutely love it. However, I've noticed one weird thing. It's really humid here and it seems to be reacting with the 400d Halcyon fabric. It's kind of wrinkling up and becoming bumpy. The weirdest thing is that this isn't happening to the 200d Halcyon lining or my Halcyon HLT, just the outside of my Pilot. Is this normal?
    can you post a photo?
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Share
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    can you post a photo?
    So first off, sorry for taking so long to post a response-the wifi at the place I was staying was absolutely awful. I'm talking five minutes just to check my email awful. Anyways, let's see if this works. 400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?-pilot_zpsg2s4yeyj-jpg

    Sorry for the bad lighting quality as well, but it should show what I'm talking about pretty well. It was pretty uniform all over the outside of the bag, but the inside (and my HLT) didn't do this. Interestingly, now that I'm home in Buffalo, it's definitely gone down. I think it might've been the humidity, but I'm not sure. Anyone else ever see anything like this?

    EDIT: As far as the Pilot itself, I'm pretty confident now that I made the right choice for a computer bag. Held my laptop (x1 Carbon), HLT with all of my cables and mouse, my sunglasses case and a book and my Nook. The back pocket was also super convenient to hold all of my masks, it was super easy to just reach in and grab one. Very happy with it.
    Last edited by Skirata44; 08-17-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,179
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really weird because I have used Halcyon, all the way back when it was called another name, in 08/09 was I was living in a southern U.S state, when hot and humid is constant in summer, even at night.

    As a matter of fact, I used an Halcyon accessory, as an EDC during those summers. No warping problem, at all.

    But, my Halcyon item came with me in air conditioned indoor places. Does the beach trailer has air conditioning? It could also be the heated salted air that makes a difference and also the temperature, which seem to be higher, everywhere.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Share
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    This is really weird because I have used Halcyon, all the way back when it was called another name, in 08/09 was I was living in a southern U.S state, when hot and humid is constant in summer, even at night.

    As a matter of fact, I used an Halcyon accessory, as an EDC during those summers. No warping problem, at all.

    But, my Halcyon item came with me in air conditioned indoor places. Does the beach trailer has air conditioning? It could also be the heated salted air that makes a difference and also the temperature, which seem to be higher, everywhere.
    No air conditioning, just a bunch of fans. It was okay this trip, but man it's gotten brutal in there in years past. You might be on to something with the humidity plus the salt.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

  6. #6
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,188
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    So first off, sorry for taking so long to post a response-the wifi at the place I was staying was absolutely awful. I'm talking five minutes just to check my email awful. Anyways, let's see if this works. 400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?-pilot_zpsg2s4yeyj-jpg

    Sorry for the bad lighting quality as well, but it should show what I'm talking about pretty well. It was pretty uniform all over the outside of the bag, but the inside (and my HLT) didn't do this. Interestingly, now that I'm home in Buffalo, it's definitely gone down. I think it might've been the humidity, but I'm not sure. Anyone else ever see anything like this?

    EDIT: As far as the Pilot itself, I'm pretty confident now that I made the right choice for a computer bag. Held my laptop (x1 Carbon), HLT with all of my cables and mouse, my sunglasses case and a book and my Nook. The back pocket was also super convenient to hold all of my masks, it was super easy to just reach in and grab one. Very happy with it.
    Very strange - please send your photo & an email to Customer Service in case @Darcy doesn't see this

    Technically, the nylon part of the halcyon can absorb a small amount of moisture and the ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (ie, the dark grid) does not, so it maybe the air was so saturated that the nylon did absorb some moisture and swelled vs the PE... but I only know enough polymer science to be dangerous, not an expert...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember my steel dyneema med cafe bag doing this when I was in Japan last summer, but it relaxed when I returned to my much less humid home. I wouldn't say it relaxed 100%, but close enough that I don't notice it.

    Actually, now that I think about it, you can kind of see the bumpiness happen with my 200 halcyon solaris 3DOC here (where it definitely got wet) - I just checked it and it's completely back to normal. https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post192693
    Last edited by jessmakes; 08-18-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

    TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

    Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Share
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Very strange - please send your photo & an email to Customer Service in case @Darcy doesn't see this
    Yeah, I'm going to shoot them an email after lunch, I think. It didn't affect how the bag worked at all, but it did look pretty gnarly and if there's a way to prevent it from happening, I'd love to find it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    I remember my steel dyneema med cafe bag doing this when I was in Japan last summer, but it relaxed when I returned to my much less humid home. I wouldn't say it relaxed 100%, but close enough that I don't notice it.
    That's pretty much exactly what I saw-it started relaxing as soon as I got in the car, but even now it's not back to 100%. It's definitely WAY less noticeable than it was before, though. I just took this picture of it.

    400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?-pilot2_zps4c8p1vyi-jpg
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

  9. #9
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    6,298
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this is very rare, it’s something that we’ve seen when we’ve tested fabrics in very humid and/or hot conditions And while rare, it’s not related to a particular batch of fabric. I’m glad to hear that the fabric does seem to be slowly returning to its previous state!

    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Technically, the nylon part of the halcyon can absorb a small amount of moisture and the ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (ie, the dark grid) does not, so it maybe the air was so saturated that the nylon did absorb some moisture and swelled vs the PE... but I only know enough polymer science to be dangerous, not an expert...
    That's our understanding as well Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Share
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    While this is very rare, it’s something that we’ve seen when we’ve tested fabrics in very humid and/or hot conditions And while rare, it’s not related to a particular batch of fabric. I’m glad to hear that the fabric does seem to be slowly returning to its previous state!



    That's our understanding as well Smilie
    That's good to hear, and definitely good to know. Thanks a lot, Darcy!
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Darcy.
    I live in the UK (which is seldom hot, and humid - a lot like Seattle!) I too have noticed this 'wrinkling effect on my new Synik 30 in Black 400 Halcyon. It's not the whole bag, but just the front panel of the two centre pockets. I wonder if this is a function of slighltly different batches of fabric? The rest of the bag is not affected. I just took delivery of a Black Halcyon Synik 22 (dangerous TB Addiction Syndrome) and it it pristine, so I'll wait and see if it undergoes any similar changes.
    As always, your service and attention to detail is legendary .....

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    And furthermore...

    Quote Originally Posted by oncojeans View Post
    Thank you Darcy.
    I live in the UK (which is seldom hot, and humid - a lot like Seattle!) I too have noticed this 'wrinkling effect on my new Synik 30 in Black 400 Halcyon. It's not the whole bag, but just the front panel of the two centre pockets. I wonder if this is a function of slighltly different batches of fabric? The rest of the bag is not affected. I just took delivery of a Black Halcyon Synik 22 (dangerous TB Addiction Syndrome) and it it pristine, so I'll wait and see if it undergoes any similar changes.
    As always, your service and attention to detail is legendary .....
    I just checked my Black 400D Halcyon Pilot which was purchased around the time I purchased the Synik 30 in February this year. It too has taken on the same slightly’wrinkly’ texture that the back panel of the Synik has assumed. It has been used very little and has been stored with the Synik in a cool dry cupboard in typical U.K. temperatures and humidity. It’s not a major issue but it has lost that wonderfully smooth ‘technical’ character that the Halcyon fabric exudes Interestingly I have a Side Effect in black original Halcyon and that has not changed at all . Darcy, any thoughts?

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?-synik-30-1-jpg400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?-synik-30-2-jpg400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?-pilot-1-jpg400d Halcyon-Kind of Wrinkly?-pilot-2-jpg
    Here are some images of my Synik 30 and Pilot showing the 'wrinkling' effect of the Halcyon 400D fabric

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further update! The wrinkling effect seems to have disappeared over the past week with daily use of my Synik 30 in cool, damp UK conditions! Thanks to Mike and Kat for their very helpful and insightful responses

  15. #15
    Forum Member goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the bag has to acclimate Wink

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •