Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Think the Sidekick will work?

    I will be doing a lot of international travel over the next few years and am looking for a bag I can use inflight, carbinered to the seatback pocket, that will fit in the bottom of my S25. Iím thinking a SK may work but am certainly open to other ideas. I will carry a Kindle paperwhite, Anker 20000 mAh battery, iPhone X, charging blocks/cables for the mentioned electronics, and a pair of Bose QC35s without the case, Iíll also have other little things that I should be able to squirrel away. The only concern I have with the SK is that the headphones will take up too much room. Thoughts? I appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,179
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @sgtd

    Big Grin
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  3. #3
    Forum Member Awesomepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Share
    California
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtd View Post
    I will be doing a lot of international travel over the next few years and am looking for a bag I can use inflight, carbinered to the seatback pocket, that will fit in the bottom of my S25. I’m thinking a SK may work but am certainly open to other ideas. I will carry a Kindle paperwhite, Anker 20000 mAh battery, iPhone X, charging blocks/cables for the mentioned electronics, and a pair of Bose QC35s without the case, I’ll also have other little things that I should be able to squirrel away. The only concern I have with the SK is that the headphones will take up too much room. Thoughts? I appreciate it.
    If you want something to clip to the seat pocket the Sidekick would be your best bet. It's my favorite TB bag. The headphones will take up quite a bit of space. You would save a bit of room without the case. I have some photos of my QC35's in the case in a SK here.

    I do really like the ability to slip my SK into my S25 on trips. If you wanted to go a step up in size and didn't need to clip it to the seat you could go with a Co-Pilot. I like traveling with mine because of the water bottle pocket which comes in handy for travelling. I usually keep my essentials inside of a Side Effect or a HLT inside of the Co-Pilot. I'll take some photos of my SK with my iPhone, battery, and headphones tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @sgtd

    Big Grin
    Thank you very much. Itís good to be here.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomepants View Post
    If you want something to clip to the seat pocket the Sidekick would be your best bet. It's my favorite TB bag. The headphones will take up quite a bit of space. You would save a bit of room without the case. I have some photos of my QC35's in the case in a SK here.

    I do really like the ability to slip my SK into my S25 on trips. If you wanted to go a step up in size and didn't need to clip it to the seat you could go with a Co-Pilot. I like traveling with mine because of the water bottle pocket which comes in handy for travelling. I usually keep my essentials inside of a Side Effect or a HLT inside of the Co-Pilot. I'll take some photos of my SK with my iPhone, battery, and headphones tomorrow.
    I appreciate the picture. I was thinking Iíd go without the case to save room, understanding Iím giving up some protection for being able to fit more stuff.

    As far as the copilot goes Iíll take a look at it. I was thinking the SK because it allows me to carry just the S25 but the copilot may work a little better.

    I appreciate your help.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Member Chicagoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Share
    Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SK (even in Halcyon) probably doesnít offer the expandability and front to back depth those headphones would require.

    Here are some other bags to consider.

    An HLT2 might work if you take advantage of the front outside pocket to store some items to offset the amount of space the headphones will consume. The HLT2 is deeper than the SK and the clamshell zipper makes it easier to fit larger items inside - smaller items can be packed around larger ones before zipping the bag shut.

    Otherwise my best recommendation would be a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. However, it lacks any organization, save one front zippered pocket, and the snaphook attachment points (now sewn to the front/back sides opposed to the left/right) might not make it the best bag for the back of a plane seat. It also is not stocked or in production. Youíd likely have to search for one on a site like eBay.

    What about a large Snake Charmer, clipped to the seat back by one double sided carabiner? Itís a non traditional solution, but based on in-stock inventory and the items you need to carry, it might be feasible. The mesh sides would make it easier to find items, too.

    If nothing else, and you can afford it, order more than you need, test pack the bags at home (without removing the hang tags), keep which bag works best and send back the rest for a refund.

    Hope that helps!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

    @outside_chicago

    @wright_in_the_midwest

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    The SK (even in Halcyon) probably doesnít offer the expandability and front to back depth those headphones would require.

    Here are some other bags to consider.

    An HLT2 might work if you take advantage of the front outside pocket to store some items to offset the amount of space the headphones will consume. The HLT2 is deeper than the SK and the clamshell zipper makes it easier to fit larger items inside - smaller items can be packed around larger ones before zipping the bag shut.

    Otherwise my best recommendation would be a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. However, it lacks any organization, save one front zippered pocket, and the snaphook attachment points (now sewn to the front/back sides opposed to the left/right) might not make it the best bag for the back of a plane seat. It also is not stocked or in production. Youíd likely have to search for one on a site like eBay.

    What about a large Snake Charmer, clipped to the seat back by one double sided carabiner? Itís a non traditional solution, but based on in-stock inventory and the items you need to carry, it might be feasible. The mesh sides would make it easier to find items, too.

    If nothing else, and you can afford it, order more than you need, test pack the bags at home (without removing the hang tags), keep which bag works best and send back the rest for a refund.

    Hope that helps!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I appreciate the feedback. The depth of the SK is what worries me. I did look at the Snake Charmer and it's intriguing. I would like something with some internal organization but I could always use pouches. I also looked at the HLT 2 and think it may work. I'm also looking at the Copilot but that may be just a little too big. Thanks again for the comments.

  8. #8
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,707
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @sgtd ,

    I’m going to point you to one more thread with pictures and discussion.
    Bose QC-25/35 and co-pilot
    This shows a solution with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which can fit into the S25 chin pocket (or, I the case of the post shown, suspended in front of a Pilot). It can also be suspended through Carabiners to act as a seat pocket bag. You can drop a Side Kick inside of one. The big issue is that the redesign of the PCSB to put the Strap attachment points at offset positions at the front and back instead of at the sides of the bag make this more awkward (but not impossible) to suspend with Carabiners. Earlier versions of the Side Kick were also easier to suspend, but the adjustment is easier to hack than for the PCSBs. (The designs for both bags were changed in June 2018, to prevent possible zipper wear and tear). See Please bring back the snaphook on the SK. See my post for pictures of the Side Kick before and after. Darcy’s post in the earlier thread shows a way to suspend with the current Side Kick.

    Again, if you can manage with the Side Kick, it would be best, and you may gain a bit by taking the headphones out of the case, and possibly a little more flexibility with Halcyon, but it might be tight.

    My guess is that the Side Kick would work better than the HLT 2. The first linked thread shows another solution with the Daylight Briefcase, but the PCSB would be smaller (pictures there show the relative size of PCSB, which is wider than the DLBC).

    HTH

    moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-24-2020 at 12:51 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @sgtd ,

    Iím going to point you to one more thread with pictures and discussion.
    ē Bose QC-25/35 and co-pilot
    This shows a solution with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which can fit into the S25 chin pocket (or, I the case of the post shown, suspended in front of a Pilot). It can also be suspended through Carabiners to act as a seat pocket bag. You can drop a Side Kick inside of one. The big issue is that the redesign of the PCSB to put the Strap attachment points at offset positions at the front and back instead of at the sides of the bag make this more awkward (but not impossible) to suspend with Carabiners. Earlier versions of the Side Kick were also easier to suspend, but the adjustment is easier to hack than for the PCSBs. (The designs for both bags were changed in June 2018, to prevent possible zipper wear and tear). See Please bring back the snaphook on the SK. See my post for pictures of the Side Kick before and after. Darcyís post in the earlier thread shows a way to suspend with the current Side Kick.

    Again, if you can manage with the Side Kick, it would be best, and you may gain a bit by taking the headphones out of the case, and possibly a little more flexibility with Halcyon, but it might be tight.

    My guess is that the Side Kick would work better than the HLT 2. The first linked thread shows another solution with the Daylight Briefcase, but the PCSB would be smaller (pictures there show the relative size of PCSB, which is wider than the DLBC).

    HTH

    moriond
    This absolutely helps; thank you very much for the comments!

  10. #10
    Forum Member Chicagoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Share
    Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Think the Sidekick will work?

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtd View Post
    This absolutely helps; thank you very much for the comments!
    Now Iím curious. Anyone out there with both an SK and HLT2 who also owns a similar pair of headphones and can compare how headphones fit inside?

    My guess is the the SK is going to prove too shallow, even with the slight flexibility added by Halcyon.

    The SK was my go-to/EDC for a long time and it doesnít respond well to a singular large item when the only access into the main compartment is a zipper along the top edge. The headphones are really going to arbitrate the bag. If you need a bag to fit those, start there. If you can use something else instead, youíll be more open to using other bag options. But if they truly are the number one priority, be sure you pick the best bag for those.

    My money is on the clamshell style opening of the HLT2, as well as how much the middle of the bag can expand outward. It carries more like a cylinder than a cube, while the SK is very committed to maintaining its box-like shape.

    Due respect to your advice and suspicions, @moriond , and if nothing else, it makes a strong case to at least audition the SK and HLT2!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chicagoan; 08-24-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram!

    @outside_chicago

    @wright_in_the_midwest

  11. #11
    Forum Member Awesomepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Share
    California
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtd View Post
    I appreciate the picture. I was thinking Iíd go without the case to save room, understanding Iím giving up some protection for being able to fit more stuff.

    As far as the copilot goes Iíll take a look at it. I was thinking the SK because it allows me to carry just the S25 but the copilot may work a little better.

    I appreciate your help.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depending on how much extra stuff you want to pack with the headphones it's doable in a SK. Even though the halcyon version allows it to be more stuffed, I'd recommend the ballistic if you want to hang it form a seat back since it the bag will be more rigid. The bag was pretty stuffed with all the things I put in the photos but had a room for a tiny bit more.

    I took some photos packing a RavPower 22,000 mAh battery, sunglasses, a 200ml tiger bottle, iphone cable (I was using the iPhone to take the photo so I didn't put it in the picture), a few pens, a super mini Ghost Whale, a small flashlight, a Kindle Paperwhite, and an Acuity fabric 3DOC.

    I also added some photos of the headphones in a size 2 Sitka travel stuff sack and a size 2 HLT in Solaris. The HLT had room for more things than I put in there, but would hold less than I packed in the SK.

    Think the Sidekick will work?-1-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-2-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-3-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-4-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-5-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-6-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-7-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-8-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-9-w800-jpg

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomepants View Post
    Depending on how much extra stuff you want to pack with the headphones it's doable in a SK. Even though the halcyon version allows it to be more stuffed, I'd recommend the ballistic if you want to hang it form a seat back since it the bag will be more rigid. The bag was pretty stuffed with all the things I put in the photos but had a room for a tiny bit more.

    I took some photos packing a RavPower 22,000 mAh battery, sunglasses, a 200ml tiger bottle, iphone cable (I was using the iPhone to take the photo so I didn't put it in the picture), a few pens, a super mini Ghost Whale, a small flashlight, a Kindle Paperwhite, and an Acuity fabric 3DOC.

    I also added some photos of the headphones in a size 2 Sitka travel stuff sack and a size 2 HLT in Solaris. The HLT had room for more things than I put in there, but would hold less than I packed in the SK.

    Think the Sidekick will work?-1-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-2-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-3-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-4-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-5-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-6-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-7-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-8-w800-jpg
    Think the Sidekick will work?-9-w800-jpg
    This was super helpful. I really appreciate all the pictures and explanation of how things fit. Based on this I think I may try a SK. Now to decide the colors...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,707
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Chicagoan ,

    The HLT 2 might work better, depending on the shape of the headphones and what else he is carrying. I have a Halcyon Side Kick, and I don’t have the QC35s. The Side Kick is taller and longer, and I also get a lot more flexibility with Halcyon, so the advantage I saw when I grabbed another set of (Beats) headphones and tried it in both was that the remaining space in the Side Kick after putting the Kindle inside was more useable for fitting in battery packs, etc. Remember he has to secure the remaining items inside the HLT 2.

    I used to carry earlier (larger) Bose headphones, but now I use ear buds. My phone (iPhone SE) is also a lot smaller than most people carry, so I can’t do an accurate simulation of his carry.

    HTH

    moriond

  14. #14
    Forum Member Chicagoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Share
    Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Think the Sidekick will work?

    @moriond

    Iíve found the best way to get the most out of a bag is by packing it with smaller items. As soon as you put one large item inside, you start diminishing the flexibility of the fabric. Now, ďlargeĒ as it stands in relation to to the overall size of the bag. For example, an iPad Mini (about the same height and width dimensions as a Side Kick) will fit in the main compartmentís back pocket, but when you make one full side of the bag rigid, you can only pack the bag out further in one direction instead of two. So, while the Mini can fit inside the bag, itís better suited for a large bag where it wonít compromise the overall volume.

    @Awesomepants

    Your reply lives up to your username and how helpful you were to respond with not only the two bags in question, but most of the items the OP was concerned about fitting inside the bags.

    @sgtd

    The first bag I ever bought from Tom Bihn was a Side Kick. I only needed it as a park bag for a vacation to Disney World. I wound up wearing it every day, even after Iíd come home from the trip. Since it loads from the top, you can walk around with it unzipped for easy access, but itís able to be completely zipped up for the sake of security or weatherproofing, too. I think youíll be surprised with how much it can hold. Even once you think itís ďfull,Ē thereís usually space near the top to tuck a pair of sunglasses (which I see @Awesomepants taking advantage of, too). Itís a really great bag and I think youíll be really pleased with how much difference a little organization can make in part of your life.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chicagoan; 08-24-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram!

    @outside_chicago

    @wright_in_the_midwest

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,177
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the Sidekick and the Pilot is the Daylight Briefcase.

    It is slightly bigger than the Sidekick and much smaller than the Pilot.

    You might also want to consider the Copilot.

    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...=2048083853319

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •