Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black/Wasabi or Gray/Island for first Synapse

Hi everyone,

I have decided to get a Synapse 19 and I will be using it as an EDC, for grad school, going to the rock climbing gym, and in the workplace when I graduate. I'm torn between these two color combinations as I have a slight preference for Wasabi over Island for the interior color. I like the Island color but it looks a little bit too bright for daily use and I might get tired of it more easily. The Wasabi color seems versatile enough as a lining and grows on me the more I look at it. However, I prefer Nebulous Gray over Black since I wear black clothes more than gray and I'd like a bit of contrast between my clothes and my bag. I'm worried that the black bag looks too much like an ordinary boring office drone bag (think HP laptop bags) and I want to stand out a little bit, while still looking professional. Also, the Nebulous Gray color is just beautiful imo. Anyone owns the above color combinations and would like to share your thoughts?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered the halcyon/wasabi combo? I like halcyon over ballistic, and it is quite unique.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @resskies !

There are so many black bags in the world that I personally pretty much always pick a different colour.

Nebulous is a gorgeous deep grey colour. The Island is brighter than Wasabi, but you'd rarely be looking into an empty bag - the colour should be light/bright enough for you to find your stuff and/or contrast with whatever you're putting in there.

Another option to consider would be getting the Nebulous/Northwest Sky and adding some Wasabi accessories...NWSky is a light neutral.

If you haven't seen the colours/fabrics in person, you can contact the fine folks in Customer Service and ask for some free swatches.

Another option is the Original (black with white grid) / Island that is still available, if you're ok with halcyon vs ballistic. The Original is being discontinued as a fabric colour, so those are some of the last items available.

The S19 is my favorite TB pack - I think I have three of them right now Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    Have you considered the halcyon/wasabi combo? I like halcyon over ballistic, and it is quite unique.
    Hmm I don't really like the halcyon design and the fabric is less tough than ballistic.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @resskies , and welcome to the forums!

I think both color combinations are great! Guess what: the most popular color for TB bags is.... black. As boring as it might be it goes along quite well with every other color and Wasabi is great for a liner color since it brightens up the interior and that is great if you‘re searching for your keys, purse, pen, phone, you name it.

However, my personal preference is Nebulous Grey/Island. I don‘t have a Synapse in that color scheme but a Luminary 15. The grey is as universal as black but not so much on the dark side. And Island is bright enough to prevent your bag from being a black hole. But color preference are so different... If you live in the US and your budget allows it you might order both colors, see what you like more and send the other one back.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @resskies !

There are so many black bags in the world that I personally pretty much always pick a different colour.

Nebulous is a gorgeous deep grey colour. The Island is brighter than Wasabi, but you'd rarely be looking into an empty bag - the colour should be light/bright enough for you to find your stuff and/or contrast with whatever you're putting in there.

Another option to consider would be getting the Nebulous/Northwest Sky and adding some Wasabi accessories...NWSky is a light neutral.

If you haven't seen the colours/fabrics in person, you can contact the fine folks in Customer Service and ask for some free swatches.

Another option is the Original (black with white grid) / Island that is still available, if you're ok with halcyon vs ballistic. The Original is being discontinued as a fabric colour, so those are some of the last items available.

The S19 is my favorite TB pack - I think I have three of them right now Smilie
    I considered the NWS initially. It is a safe but super boring color and I already have a grey bag with grey interior so I prefer a brighter interior like Wasabi. I heard of people getting tired of the Island interior so I'm a little cautious haha. Good point about the empty bag though. I think I would be fine seeing some blue in my bag but not large swaths of it.

No halcyon exterior for me. It doesn't look as professional and the material is less durable.

I plan to use my S19 until it outlasts me! Wink

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Hi @resskies , and welcome to the forums!

I think both color combinations are great! Guess what: the most popular color for TB bags is.... black. As boring as it might be it goes along quite well with every other color and Wasabi is great for a liner color since it brightens up the interior and that is great if you‘re searching for your keys, purse, pen, phone, you name it.

However, my personal preference is Nebulous Grey/Island. I don‘t have a Synapse in that color scheme but a Luminary 15. The grey is as universal as black but not so much on the dark side. And Island is bright enough to prevent your bag from being a black hole. But color preference are so different... If you live in the US and your budget allows it you might order both colors, see what you like more and send the other one back.
    Haha I'm leaning slightly towards Nebulous Grey/Island as well because Grey looks beautiful with black clothes in the pictures I've seen, and it'll allow me to have a touch of personality in the workplace. I'm in the software industry and everyone carries a black backpack lol.

I'm sad that they don't offer Grey/Wasabi or Grey/Solaris for S19. A yellow or green interior would make me so happy whenever I open my bag.
    Last edited by resskies; 09-10-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resskies View Post
    I'm sad that they don't offer Grey/Wasabi or Grey/Solaris for S19. A yellow or green interior would make me so happy whenever I open my bag.
    Oh yes, Nebulous Grey/Solaris is really cute, I just ordered a Maker‘s Bag in that color scheme....
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would also go with the Nebulous Grey with either Island or Northwest Sky. I have Wasabi for the lining of my Steel 400d Halcyon Synapse 25, and it does work well, but Wasabi is semi-retired, which is why it isn't more widely available now. Solaris is available with the Synik, but is new enough that it hasn't made it's way extensively through the Synapse line yet. I also have the Synik 22 in Nebulous Grey/Dawn, and it's a very versatile color. The product page pictures tend to show the linings as slightly brighter (more prominent) than they appear in real life. I have Island Halcyon as the lining of my Side Kick, and I think you'll find that it works OK for you.

Good luck with your decision

moriond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my input - I am not a blue fan. It's a color I am never drawn to so I had no interest in island. But my side kick has island interior and I do think it is quite nice, actually. The nebulous grey is so nice I think you'd love the bag and end up enjoying the interior also.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ursa is a very nice brown, btw, and not too flashy for corporate... limited run of the colour... NWSky interior right now
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I would also go with the Nebulous Grey with either Island or Northwest Sky. I have Wasabi for the lining of my Steel 400d Halcyon Synapse 25, and it does work well, but Wasabi is semi-retired, which is why it isn't more widely available now. Solaris is available with the Synik, but is new enough that it hasn't made it's way extensively through the Synapse line yet. I also have the Synik 22 in Nebulous Grey/Dawn, and it's a very versatile color. The product page pictures tend to show the linings as slightly brighter (more prominent) than they appear in real life. I have Island Halcyon as the lining of my Side Kick, and I think you'll find that it works OK for you.

Good luck with your decision

moriond
    Nice to know! Would you recommend the Synik 22 over Synapse 19? It is 50 bucks more expensive than S19 with frame sheet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Ursa is a very nice brown, btw, and not too flashy for corporate... limited run of the colour... NWSky interior right now
    Ursa looks beautiful but I originally thought it was charcoal (more grey than brown). I think it looks more brown in person and a brown bag is earthy and harder to match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The synik isn't as minimalist as the synapse, but the added features are definitely useful if you frequently carry a 13 in laptop or tablet (just make sure what you have will fit the built-in sleeve). I think it might line up well with your intended use-case. I personally appreciated the extra couple liters of storage the synik has; I find 22L to be an ideal size for an everyday catch-all. And while the clam-shell opening wasn't make-or-break for me going in, I was surprised by how useful it is in practice. There are a few people on the forums that have both. I'm sure they would be more than happy to answer questions comparing the two so you can get a better feel for which is the better fit!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resskies View Post
    Nice to know! Would you recommend the Synik 22 over Synapse 19? It is 50 bucks more expensive than S19 with frame sheet.
    They do stock the Synik 22 in Nebulous Grey/Solaris. I think the size is a good one, but I don’t particularly make use of the clamshell opening or luggage pass through. I do think the built-in frame support on the Synik is well done. Solaris wasn’t a color option when I got my Synik 22 (early); it might have been enough to push me towards a Synik 22 over a Synapse 19, but I’m happy with the design of the Synapse 19. If you carry a slightly larger laptop (14” and not a Mac) you might find the Synapse design a bit more accommodating, but a lot of people like the separate laptop compartment of the Synik, and the fact that the bag rests more easily upright with the reinforced base. I got my first Synapse 19 in the first production batch for that bag, and I still love the original model.

Not a big deal, but I prefer the #8 zippers on the Synapse 19 to the beefier #10 ones used on the Synik 22; they’re easier to open. Both bags now have the edgeless shoulder straps that were introduced with the Synik. I don’t overnight with my Synapse, but if you want that capability (along with the slightly larger space), that would be a good reason to opt for the Synik 22.

HTH

moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast