Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purpose of the V4 mask fold-over?

So I recently received V4 masks and noticed a considerable change from previous versions and can't find any mentions of it on any forum posts nor the website item description. The V4 masks now have a fold on either side of the nose bridge where it connects to the ear loops. Anyone know what the purpose of this is? At first I assumed it was to fold the entire nose bridge over so that there is a small cavity to prevent fogging of glasses, but then I noticed none of the models wear it this way. It's not a huge deal, but I do feel it a little while wearing it and it also looks slightly odd with it folding over this way. I'm going to leave a review, but would like to first be clarified on this design decision before commenting on it. Any help is appreciated...
    Purpose of the V4 mask fold-over?-v4-fold-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t speak to why they designed it that way, but I can tell you it reminds me of the “origami or 3-D style” of mask pattern. I was fortunate enough to get two of these also (sm/med and med/lg) and while I haven’t had time to put together my review yet, one thing I discovered is that if the mask is too large for someone, you can wear it reversed with the top edge turned down. It makes the mask smaller sized in the bridge to chin measurement.
    Last edited by dgrls; 09-28-2020 at 04:46 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cinderblock View Post
    So I recently received V4 masks and noticed a considerable change from previous versions and can't find any mentions of it on any forum posts nor the website item description. The V4 masks now have a fold on either side of the nose bridge where it connects to the ear loops. Anyone know what the purpose of this is? At first I assumed it was to fold the entire nose bridge over so that there is a small cavity to prevent fogging of glasses, but then I noticed none of the models wear it this way. It's not a huge deal, but I do feel it a little while wearing it and it also looks slightly odd with it folding over this way. I'm going to leave a review, but would like to first be clarified on this design decision before commenting on it. Any help is appreciated...
    Thanks for this question! Are you comparing the V4s that you recently received to previous V4s? All of our V4 Masks (prototypes and final versions) feature this fold as part of the design. It's the result of various prototyping/testing. Of all of the adjustments to the nose bridge area that we tried, this particular fold/design worked the best for the majority* of our various mask testers. In the V4 photos, I see that the model with the Navy mask is wearing it with this fold, and the model with the Black mask is wearing it less folded; in this way, it can be adjusted based on the person's preference and what works best for them.

*Note: majority, but not all. All of us have uniquely beautiful face shapes and sizes. One of our goals in designing masks is to offer a good/customized fit as opposed to an oversized fit. Oversized fits may be more "one size fits all" but can, in our experience, be difficult to snugly fit. That said, designs intended to offer a more customized/fitted experience are less likely to be "one design fits all" and that's why we offer three mask designs/shapes.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Thanks for this question! Are you comparing the V4s that you recently received to previous V4s? All of our V4 Masks (prototypes and final versions) feature this fold as part of the design. It's the result of various prototyping/testing. Of all of the adjustments to the nose bridge area that we tried, this particular fold/design worked the best for the majority* of our various mask testers. In the V4 photos, I see that the model with the Navy mask is wearing it with this fold, and the model with the Black mask is wearing it less folded; in this way, it can be adjusted based on the person's preference and what works best for them.

*Note: majority, but not all. All of us have uniquely beautiful face shapes and sizes. One of our goals in designing masks is to offer a good/customized fit as opposed to an oversized fit. Oversized fits may be more "one size fits all" but can, in our experience, be difficult to snugly fit. That said, designs intended to offer a more customized/fitted experience are less likely to be "one design fits all" and that's why we offer three mask designs/shapes.
    thanks @Darcy for clarifying this for me. It makes sense to me now. In fact, after your clarification, I wore the m/l V4 mask yesterday with the nose bridge folded down and it fit way better. Having said that I also wore the s/m V4 mask as is (with the fold up), so now both masks fit nice and snug for me. It's nice to have that versatility and option to conform the masks to the different shapes of our faces.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cinderblock View Post
    thanks @Darcy for clarifying this for me. It makes sense to me now. In fact, after your clarification, I wore the m/l V4 mask yesterday with the nose bridge folded down and it fit way better. Having said that I also wore the s/m V4 mask as is (with the fold up), so now both masks fit nice and snug for me. It's nice to have that versatility and option to conform the masks to the different shapes of our faces.
    Yay! I am glad that helped. And you're helping us; we're realizing that a quick video demonstrating this would be useful to folks, so we're going to work on that this week.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.