Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Toronto, ON
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Best bag for large format photography?

Hi everyone,

It has been quite a while since I used to hang out with you on this wonderful forum. I now have the exciting task to help my husband find the ideal backpack to carry his photography gear. He has taken to large format photography and in addition to his Linhoff Technika 4x5 camera, which is actually fairly compact, he has to bring a bunch of gear with him. We have taken a picture below to illustrate. The long bag on the left is a fairly compact tripod:

Best bag for large format photography?-equipment-jpg

He has used my Smart Alec and it worked ok but it did have a lot of extra room and things were not particularly organized. Either way, he needs his own bag. We are looking at the Brain Bag and the Field Guide. He is afraid the Brain Bag has way too many pockets...

Anyway, wondering if you had any advice...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi@peregrina,

You might take a look at @SKIMT ’s Synik 30...Impressed! thread, which shows a packup of the Synik 30 backpack for camera gear. The clamshell opening and the added depth compared to the Synapse 25 has some advantages for accessing camera gear. The tripod would have to be secured on the outside of the bag. The Guide’s Edition version of the Synik 30 which was offered as a preorder earlier this year has external attachment points for securing a tripod to the front of the bag via lash straps, as shown in my post inside that thread. Alternatively, @SKIMT decided a hack for attaching a Tripod to his regular Synik 30 that is linked in the last post of his thread.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you get some advice for an appropriate Bihn bag. As a retired professional photographer, however, I can tell you that the investments I and my company had made in my gear, and because of all the strange places I found myself going to on assignments, all of my pro gear was carried in pro back packs, pro shoulder bags, and pro rollers. I used Lowe, MtnSmith, PortaBrace, and the odd f/4.5 think tank.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think the field guide would be a bad camera bag because it's a top loader. Most camera bags have wide openings to accommodate modular organizers that separate multiple lenses and camera bodies. This allows you to grab things and not have to remove and restack sections to get to what you need. The Synik may work better as a camera bag.
    Last edited by NClens; 10-18-2020 at 07:32 PM.