Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shadow Guide vs Smart Alec?

Has anyone with both bags ever done a comparison of the two? I would love to read your thoughts and impressions!

I love my SA forever, but am so curious about the Shadow Guide, and would be curious to see what folks think of the two bags side-by-side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    Has anyone with both bags ever done a comparison of the two? I would love to read your thoughts and impressions!

I love my SA forever, but am so curious about the Shadow Guide, and would be curious to see what folks think of the two bags side-by-side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have and love my SA. When the original SG appeared I did get one but in the end decided that I would probably not use it as much as my SA so, probably stupidly, sold it on. Having said that I am hoping for the new smaller SG and that it will be more of a day to day bag whereas my old SA always seems to be a bit too big for many uses. We shall see!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @blackbird ,

The Shadow Guide is rather different in design from the Smart Alec, since its minimalist design means there are no pockets or pouches on the outside of the bag, aside from the top pocket. This extends to the interior, where the only feature of the version 1 SG to latch onto are a couple of webbing loops at the top for suspending a cache with rails (this is gone in the version 2 of the SG because there is a separate laptop pocket). It really follows more in the tradition of the Guide's Pack without external addable side pockets or lash strap attachment points. The inside of the SG is not separately lined, but the back wall and bottom of the bag are in Cloud Ballistic Nylon. No top zippered opening, but a drawstring cord. The length of the version 1 SG and the fact that the bottom is angled means that a lot of shorter people who used the Smart Alec could not wear the SG v1. I could carry this bag (height just under 5'4" and probably average length torso), and the backpack straps were surprisingly comfortable, but I felt that when the frame was in that it was optimized for someone with a broader upper torso than me. (It was more comfortable for me to wear without the frame).

You probably want comments from a taller person.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my SA as well and have been curious about the SG. The most attractive difference (for me) between the two is the laptop compartment on the SG. Will be interested to see how people - especially petite people - use the SG.