Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Older TB logo?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Older TB logo?

I'm considering buying a used Brain Bag, but noticed a different look to the logo patch on the bag. Being fairly new to the forum, I don't have much knowledge of past version of bags, or the types of things I should be wary about making a purchase of a used TB bag online.

Does anyone have any context for this logo in blue?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a blog post about their old logos here https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/labels-1975-2017

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cinderblock View Post
    There is a blog post about their old logos here https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/labels-1975-2017
    I did see that one, unfortunately the patch on this bag isn't featured in it. It looks like the current logo with the airplane (?) But has a blue background instead of black.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Y
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverandmills View Post
    I did see that one, unfortunately the patch on this bag isn't featured in it. It looks like the current logo with the airplane (?) But has a blue background instead of black.

They used Portable Cukture logos with both blue and gray backgrounds starting in 2005 — it depended on the color of the bags the label was affixed to. Bigger bags like the Brain Bag had them sewn on as larger rectangles. Smaller pouches and bags where the label was sewn in at a seam like the ID Bag, had smaller rectangles in either color. In addition, they had some cardboard tags attached to the bags that always had blue backgrounds (for the period when they were in use).

Here’s an old post showing stickers and icons based on those designs. The guy who posted made these icons dowloadable, so that file icon with the plane on a blue background is one that I have for my computer. He also did a later batch with the grey/tan background that were at the same linked site, but I didn’t get those before the site closed down. I posted some pictures of older Cordura Pouches sporting these labels in both colors here

At a rough guess, we saw both color labels between 2005 and 2010. The non-blue ones stuck around till 2013..

I don’t know enough about the Brain Bag to describe changes, but it will won’t have webbing loops for current caches. There are lots of forum members who have old Brain Bags who may be able to tell you what to expect. I could find more pictures of bags with blue labels, but that wouldn’t help you for your questions.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Y

They used Portable Cukture logos with both blue and gray backgrounds starting in 2005 — it depended on the color of the bags the label was affixed to. Bigger bags like the Brain Bag had them sewn on as larger rectangles. Smaller pouches and bags where the label was sewn in at a seam like the ID Bag, had smaller rectangles in either color. In addition, they had some cardboard tags attached to the bags that always had blue backgrounds (for the period when they were in use).

Here’s an old post showing stickers and icons based on those designs. The guy who posted made these icons dowloadable, so that file icon with the plane on a blue background is one that I have for my computer. He also did a later batch with the grey/tan background that were at the same linked site, but I didn’t get those before the site closed down. I posted some pictures of older Cordura Pouches sporting these labels in both colors here

At a rough guess, we saw both color labels between 2005 and 2010. The non-blue ones stuck around till 2013..

I don’t know enough about the Brain Bag to describe changes, but it will won’t have webbing loops for current caches. There are lots of forum members who have old Brain Bags who may be able to tell you what to expect. I could find more pictures of bags with blue labels, but that wouldn’t help you for your questions.

HTH

moriond
    This is so helpful - thank you. Part of me wondered if people might try to pass off fake TB bags haha.

And the information about it being an older bag (10+ years) is actually really appreciated too. I can pick up a few more details about the model using that info. The seller doesn't really know much about the versions either, but your reply is enough info to go on a bit of a hunt.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an older Brain Bag with the blue label. There is also Port Angeles On the white label inside so maybe that will help determine the age. The bag has no o-rings, but the two inch hip belt is sewn on the bag. Anyone have an idea of the age? The seller didn’t know any details.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaH View Post
    I have an older Brain Bag with the blue label. There is also Port Angeles On the white label inside so maybe that will help determine the age. The bag has no o-rings, but the two inch hip belt is sewn on the bag. Anyone have an idea of the age? The seller didn’t know any details.
    I think that they moved from Port Angeles to Seattle between around March and April of 2006, based on the Wayback Machine information on when their contact page mail address changed from 108 West First St, Port Angeles, WA, 98362 to 2203 1st Ave S, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98134. You could try hunting down the product page descriptions at different times for the Brain Bag:
    Brain Bag - Backpacks - Laptop Bags – TOM BIHN

By adding the non-printing character of the Apple Symbol in front of the URL to the old Product page URL code for the Brain Bag, I've kept the forum Bulletin Board code from trying to interpret that as a URL. If you copy that string of everything that follows http through to the "TB0104" and either paste it or type it in as your search for the Brain Bag product page in the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, you can bring up all the old descriptions that have been archived, starting with 2003 when it predated even the Portable Culture label. Be aware that looking for a "Blue" version of the label on a Black Brain Bag is not the best way to try to identify your bag model, since they used both color labels during that period, and also because they used mouseover tricks to change the background bag color on a similar image. But this should get you guys started.

I'm not sure this would work for the OP, since the web page addresses changed with time. Also, the color label may not be identical, because they didn't always update the pictures to show the exact label color combinations that were made for a given bag. I can find blue portable culture labels on Black Brain bags out to much later times, like 2011 product pages. Randomly in the forums, here's an example of a web page that shows a Blue Label on a Black Bag: Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Imago and Large Cafe Bag on 6'1 guy Smilie from March 2009.

I have no knowledge about the Brain Bag, since I've never gotten this bag (too big for me).

In addition, a lot of the ways they chose to update the forum software in the past made it really difficult to find old information, even when I had full information. (The PHP query structure overwrote older queries with new results, and they moved old images to unknown new locations).

You need to find a forum member who is familiar with the Brain Bags made then.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-27-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I own the twin of the Brain Bag in question, it is Steel Cordura, was bought in 2006, it has the blue logo and the sewn in waist strap.

I bought it from Tom Bihn's website.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-27-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john1298 View Post
    I am a beginner too, but is there really a lot of fakes?
    I don't think that there are a lot of convincing TB counterfeits out there, but there a lot of cheap bags out there where someone has added a TB logo.

As with anything on eBay - buy the seller, not the item.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to add for the OP that the seller should provide a lot more pictures.

Check the current Brain Bag page and ask for the same detailed pictures, especially the zippers (the 3 on the pockets and the top one), the top handle, the straps and the buckles which are extremely tough, (but could have been subjected to a crushing force like a door or the wheel of a golf cart)

I have to use to extreme cases incidents as TB bags are extremely tough.

Additionally a detailed picture of the bottom of the bag is a must, because it takes the brunt of any use, especially the heavy use on outdoor surfaces or student life.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...31808802848831

The vintage TB Brain Bag is made of Cordura, which is a fabric that is a pet hair magnet and might be lightly abrasive to knit fabric, which should not be a problem with a backpack, because you have the fabulous breathable mesh and cushioned back.

While the vintage blue label TB Brain Bag has very comfortable straps, the most comfortable I had ever used on a backpack.

The newest version of the Brain Bag has those state of the art Evazote straps, and many slight but noticeable improvements, usually inspired by users over the last 14 years. For example, Tom added the very nifty triangle clip to secure a water bottle, a tripod, walking sticks, etc... that is secured by the strap between the two front pockets.

The new fabrics, bluesign® certified 525 denier 2x2 Ballistic nylon exterior lined with bluesign® certified 210 denier 2x2 Ballistic nylon are as soft as they are strong.

If you want to get familiar with the Tom Bihn design philosophy and his strong and good looking designs, go for the bag you saw, unless there are very visible wear and tear.

But, if you can get one of the new Brain Bag, for example, as an holiday gift, go for it.

I own another Brain Bag, which is the next generation after this one, same logo and same fabric, it has many improvements over the grey one. Notably, O-rings in the pockets and a redesigned top handle.

I have been trying to justify a third Brain Bag, but... Tom Bihn and The Designing Crew: mostly Nick and Darcy, sometimes other Crew members, people who work at the factory doing a first class job at making design ideas, into gorgeous bags.

Both my 14 year old bag and the slightly younger one, have been mainstays of my moves (coast to coast, interstate, and local) and all my domestic travels, within the U.S.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-04-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I have to add for the OP that the seller should provide a lot more pictures.

Check the current Brain Bag page and ask for the same detailed pictures, especially the zippers (the 3 on the pockets and the top one), the top handle, the straps and the buckles which are extremely tough, (but could have been subjected to a crushing force like a door or the wheel of a golf cart)

I have to use to extreme cases incidents as TB bags are extremely tough.

Additionally a detailed picture of the bottom of the bag is a must, because it takes the brunt of any use, especially the heavy use on outdoor surfaces or student life.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...31808802848831

The vintage TB Brain Bag is made of Cordura, which is a fabric that is a pet hair magnet and might be lightly abrasive to knit fabric, which should not be a problem with a backpack, because you have the fabulous breathable mesh and cushioned back.

While the vintage blue label TB Brain Bag has very comfortable straps, the most comfortable I had ever used on a backpack.

The newest version of the Brain Bag has those state of the art Evazote straps, and many slight but noticeable improvements, usually inspired by users over the last 14 years. For example Tom added the very nifty triangle clip to secure a water bottle, a tripod, walking sticks, etc... that is secured by the strap between the two front pockets.

The new fabrics, bluesignOlder TB logo? certified 525 denier 2x2 Ballistic nylon exterior lined with bluesignOlder TB logo? certified 210 denier 2x2 Ballistic nylon are as soft as they are strong.

If you want to get familiar with the Tom Bihn design philosophy and his strong and good looking designs, go for the bag you saw, unless there are very visible wear and tear.

But, if you can get one of the new Brain Bag, for example, as an holiday gift, go for it.

I own another Brain Bag, which is the next generation after this one, same logo and same fabric, it has many improvements over the grey one. Notably, O-rings in the pockets and a redesigned top handle.

I have been trying to justify a third Brain Bag, but... Tom Bihn and The Designing Crew: mostly Nick and Darcy, sometimes other Crew members, people who work at the factory doing a first class job at making design ideas, into gorgeous bags.

Both my 14 year old bag and the slightly younger one, have been mainstays of my moves (coast to coast, interstate, and local) and all my domestic travels, within the U.S.
    This is very helpful, thank you. I'll especially take to heart the piece about more photos for future pre-loved purchases.

I ended up passing on it mainly because it was going to be a present for my partner (I already have the S19, bought new, which I adore for 90% of use cases), and he couldn't be convinced that backpacks can be more than ~$40. But, I'm going to keep an eye out for another one, more likely the new model, as I think he underestimates how great a lifelong all-purpose/dad bag it'll be.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverandmills View Post
    This is very helpful, thank you. I'll especially take to heart the piece about more photos for future pre-loved purchases.

I ended up passing on it mainly because it was going to be a present for my partner (I already have the S19, bought new, which I adore for 90% of use cases), and he couldn't be convinced that backpacks can be more than ~$40. But, I'm going to keep an eye out for another one, more likely the new model, as I think he underestimates how great a lifelong all-purpose/dad bag it'll be.

The S19 has been my EDC from the day I got it, when it was made in Halcyon, I am also a fan of the Daylight Backpack and the Original Luminary, L13, I think.

I tried both the S25 and the L15, I mean the slightly larger Synapse and Luminary, but no dice.

As a Brain Bag owner, I was extremely surprised but, the bigger Synapse and Luminary are mostly longer than their shorter counterpart.
    The Brain Bag is wider, from one shoulder than the other and wider from the person's back to the front pocket, because of the 2 big laptop compartments, but not much longer than an S19.

Hope this help!