Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Alberta, Canada
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which bag do you use as a diaper bag and why?

I was absolutely devastated today when I logged in to the website and found that the Parental Unit has been retired from production. It has been in and out of my wish list for a couple of years... and now that I actually really need one I can't have one.

I did skim through a few websites looking at other diaper bags and was just generally disappointed. I'm a bag minimalist almost to the extreme; my work bag for the better part of two years was a Travel/Everyday Cubelet and my other go-to EDC is a Side Kick. Everything I see on baby store websites looks more like my A30 than what I actually want to carry around on a daily basis, but maybe I'm seriously underestimating what I will need to carry around.

So... what do you use and why?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClicketySnap View Post
    I was absolutely devastated today when I logged in to the website and found that the Parental Unit has been retired from production. It has been in and out of my wish list for a couple of years... and now that I actually really need one I can't have one.

I did skim through a few websites looking at other diaper bags and was just generally disappointed. I'm a bag minimalist almost to the extreme; my work bag for the better part of two years was a Travel/Everyday Cubelet and my other go-to EDC is a Side Kick. Everything I see on baby store websites looks more like my A30 than what I actually want to carry around on a daily basis, but maybe I'm seriously underestimating what I will need to carry around.

So... what do you use and why?
    Firstly, I share your sadness about the retirement of the PU.

Before trying to make something else work, Iíll give you the same advice I gave Olivia yesterday which is to check Poshmark, eBay, and the Tom Bihn BST Facebook group to see if anyone is selling one. Good luck! Let us know if you find one.

Alberta, Canada
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Firstly, I share your sadness about the retirement of the PU.

Before trying to make something else work, Iíll give you the same advice I gave Olivia yesterday which is to check Poshmark, eBay, and the Tom Bihn BST Facebook group to see if anyone is selling one. Good luck! Let us know if you find one.
    I have already been watching for one, but Iím not convinced that Iíll find one that is worth the shipping for me in Canada. Still quite a lot of time to keep an eye out tho so weíll see what happens.

Iím not necessarily trying to make something else work, Iím trying to learn why people gravitate towards different bags and what makes them useful. Maybe Iíve become too narrow-minded about this, maybe Iíve been refusing to acknowledge how much space is actually needed, I just donít know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which bag do you use as a diaper bag and why?

Quote Originally Posted by ClicketySnap View Post
    I have already been watching for one, but Iím not convinced that Iíll find one that is worth the shipping for me in Canada. Still quite a lot of time to keep an eye out tho so weíll see what happens.

Iím not necessarily trying to make something else work, Iím trying to learn why people gravitate towards different bags and what makes them useful. Maybe Iíve become too narrow-minded about this, maybe Iíve been refusing to acknowledge how much space is actually needed, I just donít know.

Ah ok, well letís break it down. The stuff you need will change as kids grow but one thing will not change and thatís the size of the pockets on the PU.

The reason Iím such a great fan of this bag is the number of pockets. Depending on how the zippers are configured, it has 12 pockets. Thatís the most of any TB bag I know. Theyíre all best-suited for items that are about 2-3Ē in diameter, so if you have something large or bulky it will not be the bag for you.

Do you have an idea yet of what youíll be carrying?

This topic is one Iím also very interested in (finding the right match between load and bag, essentially), looking forward to reading others responses.

I am sure youíve probably done this already but here is a link to past forum discussions about diaper bags (I find this easier than using forum search):
    https://www.google.com/search?q=foru...2diaper+bag%22

Alberta, Canada
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Do you have an idea yet of what you’ll be carrying?

This topic is one I’m also very interested in (finding the right match between load and bag, essentially), looking forward to reading others responses.

I am sure you’ve probably done this already but here is a link to past forum discussions about diaper bags (I find this easier than using forum search):
    https://www.google.com/search?q=foru...2diaper+bag%22
    Hahaha here's the fun part; I was fully content with the idea that I would never have kids, and what gear/stuff might be essential is a topic I have never researched or been aware of.

I'm not a backpack person (unless I'm carrying my A30 through the airport) and definitely prefer cross-body bags. My partner is a backpack person.

I had done some rather unsuccessful searches before posting, but I found a couple more on your link that I hadn't seen yet. Thank you for including that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the co-pilot as a diaper bag all the time for my two kids. The front pockets are the exact size for either diapers or wipes. Thereís a water bottle pocket for my toddler too. The main part has pockets for small books, snack pouches, or toys, and I use the open pocket for a drool rag when necessary for quick access.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started with the Parental Unit and it did work well when our son was an infant. As he hit the toddler years we preferred a more modular approach. The large snake charmer works well as a small kit with diapers wipes and a few other items. It can hop around to any bag that fits the situation - we used an S25 or Daylight Briefcase frequently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that packing cubes are the way to go. When you or your partner wants to go out, being able to pull a packing cube, something like a snake charmer, and plug it into a different bag, is really helpful. That said, I have a small eBags cube that fits really well into the co-pilot main bag and also the front, bottom pocket of the Synik