Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Weekend+ Bag

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekend+ Bag

Hi All,

I'm looking for a weekend/a little longer bag and strongly considering the Aeronaut 30 or 45 - I am tall so have larger clothes, and wear a size 14 shoe - do you think the 30 would meet my needs for a weekend to an economically packed 5 days or so, or should I go with the 45?

Appreciate your thoughts!

C

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CammeronJ View Post

I'm looking for a weekend/a little longer bag and strongly considering the Aeronaut 30 or 45 - I am tall so have larger clothes, and wear a size 14 shoe - do you think the 30 would meet my needs for a weekend to an economically packed 5 days or so, or should I go with the 45?
    That's all going to depend on you, and how you define "economically packed." I've lived out of an A45 for 3.5 weeks, and could've probably done it in an a30, too. So, for a weekend bag, they're both overkill.

France
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly depends on a persons packing needs. I don’t consider that I overpack, and for me 5 or more days would be a struggle in an A30 if I am not relying on doing any clothes washing and need good selection of clothes, shoes, etc. I use my A30 often for long weekends, but mainly A45 for full or multiple week trips. Buying later an A30 in addition to first TB A45 bag was a good investment for me.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    That's all going to depend on you, and how you define "economically packed." I've lived out of an A45 for 3.5 weeks, and could've probably done it in an a30, too. So, for a weekend bag, they're both overkill.
    Thanks - I have a 20L-ish backpack that's bursting at the seams for a weekend without a change of shoes or space for any options, so that's why I'm thinking an a30 at least.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure your shoes and compare to the size of the A30 end pocket packing cubes for an indication of whether they will fit. I can do 5 days in an A30 easy as a xxl person, but I'm only 5tf 6 and I have small feet. Definitely consider the A45 as well. Both excellent bags.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might also suggest the Shadow Guide 23 or 33 as I find they hold much more than you’d think, and they’re really versatile for everyday/non-travel use. For a big black hole bag like those though, I would really recommend packing cubes whereas with a wide-opening bag like the A30, you can pack it much more like a set of drawers because you can see everything.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think it depends very much on what kind of clothes you want to take with you. I always try to pack economically but in the end I am always glad to have some extra space e.g. to take an extra jacket or sweater or an extra pair of shoes (especially if I take my running shoes with me). Furthermore, I don't like my bags to be jam-packed, thus I prefer larger bags and I don't mind if they are underpacked. Thus, if you're looking for a bag that might also be suitable for a few days more and considering your shoe size, I'd rather go for the A45.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. a big guy with size 14 shoes - no question you want the A45 for an up to 5 days bag. For a relatively small increase in outer dimensions, you get a huge increase in interior space, lots more flexibility in what will fit, and the ability to jam those shoes into one of the side pockets (not sure that will work in the A30). On a big guy, the larger bag will actually look more proportional, plus you get the ability to throw extras in, like gloves, hats, coats, long souvenirs, etc.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not needing to fit any particular size constraints for where you're taking the bag and you're not so short that carrying either backpack style is an issue, then I'd go for the A45 as it's only $10 more and you get all that extra space for if/when you need it. As folks mentioned, unless you're seriously underpacking, both bags look/work well underpacked.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A45 all the way. Better to have the space and not need it than the other way around. Pre-retirement I regularly did 2-3 week business trips (i.e. bulkier clothing) with my A45 and a Co-Pilot. Post-retirement though and pre-COVID I was able to slim down my travel setup (all light casual clothing) to a SK22 and a Side Kick (sometimes the Co-Pilot)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A45. You'll need the extra space for that random extra item sometime in the next 20 years. (Though I suspect the A45 will still be going strong long after 20 years of use) Embarrassment

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If not needing to carry it on small regional airlines then definitely the aeronaut 45. They are extremely durable. There was a post a few years ago about newlyweds buying A45s for their honeymoon, then taking them on their 10 year anniversary a decade later. Testimony to their usefulness and longevity for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the A45. I am nowhere near your size but whenever I travel I am so glad to have the extra space. The A45 works great underpacked, so there really is no harm choosing the larger bag. I have used mine for several years and it has not disappointed. Unless you plan to fly a lot on European low cost airlines with tighter carry on restrictions, I would go with the A45.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, it depends on how you pack.
    I have traveled with the A30 for a week in winter with surprising ease. I own both the A45 and A30, and find the A30 more pleasing in its proportions. Having said that, I recommend you start with the A45. It will fit your shoes better, and will definitely hold a weekend’s worth of clothes. Try to under-pack it a little more each trip. That way, you will soon be buying an A30 as well.....

NB: you might also think about a Western Flyer, too. I use mine as a weekend bag when on business trips, since it is better for flat-packing (dress shirts), and can be carried as an only slightly large briefcase when on-site.