Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Aeronaut on Ryan Air

Hi there,

I am thinking of purchasing the Aeronaut bag for a trip to Europe this summer. I will be taking some internal flights on Ryan Air and was wondering if anyone had taken the Aeronaut on that airline. I think their requirements on carry-on bags might be a bit smaller than other airlines.

Thanks for any help!

Katie

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Ryanair: http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-...s-cabinbaggage

8.7.1 You may carry one cabin bag per passenger (no allowance for infants travelling on their parents lap) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 2

The aeronaut is 55.5x35.5x23.0 cm and thus is very slightly oversized. However, if you don't overpack, it should fit into the sizer. If I'm not mistaken, Ryanair are much stricter about weight so you'll really want to keep your bag under 10 kg (22 lbs). Since that much weight would be a real bummer to carry around, a smarter range to shoot for is somewhere a bit less than 10% of your body weight.

An Aeronaut in Dyneema might be something to check out, since it's much lighter than its ballistic brethren. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nagoya, Japan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Ryan Air is anything like FlyBe - you shouldn't have any problems. I've been on multiple FlyBe flights and one thing is that if you wear it as a backpack, I've never even been asked to have it weighed (unlike everyone ahead of me who has a wheeled case).

This is with it actually being heavier than the 10kg limit too ... I guess if they figure you can wear it on your back it shouldn't be a problem!

Good luck - and get the Absolute Strap with it as well! I *forgot* to do this my last trip since I thought I would backpack it most of the time, and I sorely (literally) missed it!
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    FlickrBlog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you fly with it in Italy then you should expect it to be weighed.

Edit: on Ryan Air.
    Last edited by Skoop; 01-12-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to Ryanair they can be very strict. They will weigh it. I've seen people being made to check in what was meant to be carry on luggage. And if you didn't buy luggage allowance with the ticket - you have to pay extra. It can end up costing more than your actual ticket...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do realize this thread is four years old.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    You do realize this thread is four years old.
    Well she joined the forum 6 hours ago so she wasn’t around to comment on it 4 years ago. Sheesh.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pointed it out because Ryanair's carry on policy has changed since four years ago so the information in this thread is no longer valid.

If you want to carry on a bag the size of an Aeronaut you now have to pay extra. Only a bag the size of a small personal item is now free.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I pointed it out because Ryanair's carry on policy has changed since four years ago so the information in this thread is no longer valid.

If you want to carry on a bag the size of an Aeronaut you now have to pay extra. Only a bag the size of a small personal item is now free.
    Excellent, thanks for the helpful info. I believe that TRD’s comment may have been a response more to the tone of your previous comment - and I admit, my initial response was similar.