Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 size question

I'm a big kid. Many backpacks don't make it over my shoulders and chest without running out of shoulder straps, and I end up looking like I'm wearing a child's pack.

I was wondering if any of you have or could take pics of the shoulder strap setup and help me determine if it would work? Is the Brain Bag larger in the straps (not that I can tell). It's hard to determine fit without taking the plunge, but returns are a real hassle so I usually try to make a good decision up-front to avoid them.

Thanks, all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear roessletb,

Welcome to the forum!

Returns at Tom Bihn are actually very easy!

Take a look at the attached pictures. The backpack straps seem to be the same length, but they are cut differently on the two. Note that I have an earlier iteration of the Synapse 25 - I don't know if the straps on the current iteration of the Synapse 25 are cut the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images Synapse 25 size question-img_1750-jpg  Synapse 25 size question-img_1746-jpg  Synapse 25 size question-img_1751-jpg  Synapse 25 size question-img_1753-jpg 
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one on the right seems to have more space between the top of the straps - where a normal person's neck would be. That's often a point of friction for me. I assume the one on the right is the Brain Bag? It looks a little wider, too, which would help me avoid the "turtle with an undersized shell" look. Leaning that way at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roessletb View Post
    The one on the right seems to have more space between the top of the straps - where a normal person's neck would be. That's often a point of friction for me. I assume the one on the right is the Brain Bag? It looks a little wider, too, which would help me avoid the "turtle with an undersized shell" look. Leaning that way at the moment.
    @roessletb The picture on the right is the Brain Bag, but all the Synapse 25 (and Synapse 19) backpack straps manufactured since May 2013 have wider strap placement than the spacing in @maverick's picture. Here's a comparison picture showing the strap spacing on the model of the Synapse 25 that @maverick has compared with current strap spacing. Old Synapse strap spacing (as in @maverick's picture) on the left, currently used strap spacing for Synapse 25 on the right:

The 36 liter Brain Bag is a wider and larger bag than the 25 liter Synapse 25. It would be a better choice if, for example, you wanted a bag to routinely carry a lot of camera equipment with the Camera I-O. It's more a question of how you intend to use the bag, rather than Backpack strap spacing, I think.

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-27-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum

I have a 2014 Synapse 25, 2011 Smart Alec and a 2004 Brain Bag.
    I terms of the overall length / play in the shoulder straps, I agree with Maverick in that they are all about the same - the strap padding is about 17" long and the lower attachment webbing is about 18 long.

There are 3 areas where I see some strap differences between the backpacks:

1) The shoulder strap curvature – As maverick commented, the Brain Bag has less curvature than the Synapse 25 (or Smart Alec which is the same curvature as the Synapse 25). You can see that clearly in maverick’s pictures. I find less curvature is not an issue with my body frame (wide shoulder and barrel chest). In terms of your comment about the shoulder straps not being long enough, I believe that the Brain Bag straps would drape slightly longer on your body as opposed to angling under your arms.

2) The shoulder strap width of the Brain Bag is a quarter inch wider than the other 2 bags:
    2014 Synapse 25 – 2.375"
    2004 Brain Bag – 2.625"
    2011 Smart Alec – 2.375”

3) The distance between the shoulder straps (measured inner edge to inner edge):
    2014 Synapse 25 - 2.25"
    2004 Brain Bag - 2.25"
    2011 Smart Alec - 2"
    So, the Synapse 25 and Brain Bag now have the same distance between the shoulder straps. There has been much discussion on the forums about the Synapse shoulder strap placement and it looks like the Dyneema Synapse 25 maverick has shown is from one of the original batches that have a narrower shoulder strap placement. The post by moriond, the resident guru, confirms this as well. See the link below in this as well:

http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...apse-19-a.html

Another thing to note is that the Brain Bag has a 1.5" waist strap while the other 2 bags have a 1" waist strap. This makes sense to me as the Brain Bag is meant to carry a heavier load. Note that my 2004 BB has a 2" waist strap. The wider the waist strap, the less it will look like you are wearing a child’s backpack.

Also for reference, here is a link to another user comparison between the TB backpacks you are looking at:

http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...html#post58619

I agree with moriond as well - don't lose sight of whether the backpack is big enough / can be configured to meet your purpose too . Perhaps a guide's pack may better fit your needs too!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-27-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all have been a great help. Very much appreciated and loving the community thus far!

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 7130 vPro using Tapatalk