Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    @itsablur: No extended battery. And that would be great! Thanks!
    Hi @sujo,

Sorry it took a couple days. Here are some photos I took of the 4Z Cache on Rails in my Steel 400d Pilot with a Lenovo T420 and extended battery (13.4" x 10" x 1.1"). This laptop is a tad thicker and deeper than your's because of the extended battery, but a not as wide. There is still a good finger+ of room to the side of the laptop which should accommodate your slightly wider laptop. (My wife's Dell Latitude is currently in use, and I can't quite just take it from her without a creating a little aggro .

Front view of a lightly packed Pilot with 4Z in the main compartment.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070001-jpg

Rear view of the Pilot. The flat structure of the bag is all provided by the laptop and Cache. If you recall my Pilot review video, this bag would otherwise sag.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070002-jpg

Here is the main compartment unzipped. You can somewhat see how the Cache is providing all the structure (look at where the back half of the zipper is sitting, versus the front half which is sagging a little).
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070005-jpg

Cache on Rails pulled out. It comes out much easier than it goes back in. Make sure you've got the zipper fully opened, and anything else in the main compartment should be in the organizing pockets so it doesn't get in the way.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070006-jpg

Looking in at the laptop in the Cache, there is still room for a slightly larger laptop.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070008-jpg

And here is the T420 on top of the Cache.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070011-jpg
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Toronto, ON, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this one is for you @tpnl.

A Lenovo W510, with extended battery, in a Lenovo neoprene case (not the snuggest case ever; I can put a charging brick in there with it.)
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070020-jpg

Zipped up and ready to slip into the Pilot.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070019-jpg

Kind of a tight squeeze... It's actually like watching a snake eat something larger than it.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070018-jpg

There is a decent amount of slack to this case, and it is actually bigger than the Pilot, so I'll have to squeeze this in under the zipper.
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070017-jpg

And here it is all packed into the back of the Pilot!
    Is Pilot large enough?-_9070016-jpg
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the info!

@carl0: I think the bottle opener on the strap is meant to appeal to the hip and young - of which I am neither, but I can still dream. In all honesty, I've never actually used it but just love knowing it's there. I used to carry a bottle opener all the time because you just don't know when you'll need to open a bottle of beer ... No bandages, no aspirin, no emergency supplies - but if you need your beer opened? I'm your girl!
    I guess I never thought of it that way since I usually have a Swiss Army knife on me. I just pictured people standing around with their bags on opening beers. :-)

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks itsablur! Those photos are just what I wanted to see. I imagine the dyneema would probably be a better material to get than ballistic or other, as it seems to "give" a little.

From the blog (note on the ID blog), I guess Tom and crew are updating/creating some messenger bags and briefcases. So, I may wait a bit before making a final decision. Besides, there are no dyneema Pilots available at this time.

Again, thank you so much for the help. I'm getting closer and closer to becoming a full-fledged Bihnite!

Toronto, ON, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks itsablur! Those photos are just what I wanted to see. I imagine the dyneema would probably be a better material to get than ballistic or other, as it seems to "give" a little.
    Yeah, the extra give of Dyneema is quite nice when dealing with awkwardly shaped items and having to distend the bag. As you will see in my forthcoming Founder's Briefcase video, the 420d parapack has similar qualities. That's not to say that ballistic nylon is rock hard out anything, or that it isn't pliable. I stuffed my ballistic CP silly on numerous occasions. It is just a little stiffer and has more natural structure to it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics, @itsablur. Now I sorta know what to expect. My Pilot is a BN one, and I'm planning on using it as a "laptop and then some" bag when I want to carry a small bag on my shoulders. If things fit differently with mine, I'll be sure to follow up here.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much @itsablur for the pictures of the Lenovo W510 being slowly ingested by the Pilot! Now I just need to decide if I am ok with my Lenovo T510 being ingested by the Pilot for my travels ... Snakes on Planes - TB style?

I think it is going to be a no for now but who knows when my TBAS will kick in ....

Thanks again!

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks you very much @itsablur for showing the fitting of your W510 in Neoprene Case.
    I think I could fit my M4600 in Neoprene and into Pilot though my dimension is slightly 5mm wider and 10mm deeper.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2