Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Pilot large enough?

I am contemplating (just contemplating!) a Pilot as my EDC. Currently, I use a Timbuk2 Ram Laptop Convertible Backpack. I do really like the bag. It's not like a normal Timbuk2 bag. The material is softer and it looks different. I carry it over the shoulder with an Absolute Strap. I don't like the Timbuk2 shoulder straps and this is one of the few of their bags where you can change the strap. I've never used it in backpack mode, but I LOVE the bottle opener on the strap. Again, I really do like it but it's starting to shed threads at certain seams (no major malfunctions yet) and it has no key straps or attachment points inside. I've solved the attachment issue by using a Side Effect in the main compartment. The SE holds my keys, wallet and all the stuff I'd need if I run around at lunch or on weekends.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe a Pilot would be a good trade-off. The material would hold up better longer and it's only slightly smaller (15.4 x 11.4 x 5.1 Pilot vs 16.3 x 11.8 x 5.9 Ram), so would probably hold everything I lug around now. I'm just curious if it will hold my work computer. I wouldn't want a Brain Cell, just a cache. My company-issue is a Dell Latitude e6430. The laptop fit guide shows it fitting in a Size 4Z Cache. However, that is not an option under Add a Cache on the Pilot page.

So, my question is would a Dell Latitude (13.86 x 9.49 x 1.05) in a 4Z Cache fit in a Pilot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, this is so not very helpful... but 1) I have found that the Pilot/CP can hold even stuff whose dimensions nearly match the Pilot/CP's external dimensions, so am surprised to see the option isn't available 2) I will be getting a vertical 4Z in the mail late next week and will be happy to share my findings if no-one else has by then (i.e. will try to see if it fits horizontally in my Pilot)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-05-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks adalangdon. That would be helpful. As I mentioned, I'm in no hurry to switch but you're post is very helpful.

Toronto, ON, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    So, my question is would a Dell Latitude (13.86 x 9.49 x 1.05) in a 4Z Cache fit in a Pilot?
    My wife has a Dell Letitude E6410 (I think) at home. IIRC correctly, it has similar dimensions (maybe a touch narrower?), but she has an extended battery pack on it. Is yours about the same size? Any extended battery to deal with?

I'll try slipping it into a 4Z Cache; should be fine in the horizontal though the extended battery might make the flap wonky, and I'll probably need to take the extended battery off to try it in the 4Z vertical. I'm pretty sure I slipped the 4Z into my Dyneema Pilot, but I will double check tonight/this weekend. The 6Z fit for sure, but that's too small for your laptop.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @itsablur: No extended battery. And that would be great! Thanks!

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic, sorry, but I don't understand the bottle opener on all the new timbuk2 bags. Do you drink beer while wearing a backpack? I don't get the purpose.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a thread with some pictures/comments on a MBP 15" (which is 0.2-.0.4 inches longer) in a cache in a Pilot. See post 11 by @Trevorro:

http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...lot-cadet.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 09-05-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some more visuals on how much play your laptop might have compared to a 15.6" laptops in a dyneema Pilot (thanks @itsablur and @weirdguy for checking out how good a 15.6" laptop fits!):

http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...top-pilot.html
    http://forums.tombihn.com/thoughts-t...ger-pilot.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 09-06-2014 at 07:38 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the info!

@tpnl: the links were great and gave me the info I think I need to decide (though, of course, I'm only contemplating right?) A Dell Latitude in a cache will probably fit, though snuggly. I thought about the Cadet but don't really like the styling. I do like the Zephyr but of course it's out of stock.

@carl0: I think the bottle opener on the strap is meant to appeal to the hip and young - of which I am neither, but I can still dream. In all honesty, I've never actually used it but just love knowing it's there. I used to carry a bottle opener all the time because you just don't know when you'll need to open a bottle of beer ... No bandages, no aspirin, no emergency supplies - but if you need your beer opened? I'm your girl!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    I used to carry a bottle opener all the time because you just don't know when you'll need to open a bottle of beer ... No bandages, no aspirin, no emergency supplies - but if you need your beer opened? I'm your girl!
    Same here! I lost my favourite carabiner-cum-bottle opener a few years ago and still miss it. It was meant as a quirky souvenir, but turned out to be so convenient for opening bottled sodas (for myself) and beer for the alcohol-drinking crowd.

La Mesa (San Diego), California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay....so I like the bottle opener idea. I just found and ordered these for me, DH and DS!

Nite IzeŽ S-Biner Ahhh Carabiner | Bass Pro Shops
    Last edited by Melissa; 09-06-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Typos! Shouldn't be skimming TB forum at 4:30 in the morning!
    🐝➰

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Okay....so I like the bottle opener idea. I just find and order these for me, DH and DS!

Nite IzeŽ S-Biner Ahhh Carabiner | Bass Pro Shops
    Oh, wow! Those are so cool! OK, I think I can let go of the Ram now ... Smilie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This works as a bottle opener too. And also, a VERY awkward fork and spoon. I tried eating yogurt with it last year before one of my trips, and my co-workers thought it was hilarious.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If interested in a Zephyr:
    The Zephyr is an excellent bag that has a surprisingly small footprint, stands on its own, very protective with the good foam padding on 5 sides and keeps its shape always. But, what I am most surprised with is how much I can fit bulky items (water bottle, lunch, umbrella, etc) without it bulging or changing shape while still having extra space. You can fit letter size paper vertically - this gets you even more space freed up to use. If you have a medium to large EDC, it would definitely work well and still have space for more if needed. It is a good alternative to a Pilot given how your laptop may fit and your EDC.

Hope his Helps

Cheers!

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks tpnl. Since I am just contemplating, perhaps the Zephyr will reappear. Your description of what it can hold and how it handles it is what I'm looking for, and the size is not an issue. The Empire Builder is just a little too big. Maybe I'll wait a bit and see if it returns to the shelves.

bchaplin: Awkward is right! I don't think I'm coordinated enough to use something like that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast