Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel dyneema interior

Hi guys,

Was wondering if I could get some thoughts here. Bought an orange synapse (19) and it has the steel interior. Does that still work well for internal visibility? I won't have organisers inside. I understand the brighter colours would be better but I'm assuming still better than normal black which you get in other bags right?

Thanks in advance.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TorontoSS: the white grid in the steel dyneema makes it still pretty easy to find your stuff. Everything you put in there, even if it is gray, interrupts that pattern -> will stick out. I think you will love the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreeing with @Ilkyway plus see the thread here

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TorontoSS, I used to share your concern too when I was justifying my second TB Bag - Pilot Steel-D/Steel last month.
    You see, my first TB bag was A45 Navy/Solar and I deeply appreciate the bright interior. It continue to remind me how Yellow started unknowingly become my favourite color.

At the same month, August - I also got myself a Upper Modular Pocket (400d Steel) as my primary EDC. I had been carrying cross-body, non-stop 6 days a week, 8 working hours a day since early August. I'm loving it. Though I would appreciate a Solar interior, but I find my current Steel 400d is totally fine (to my surprise).

Like someone in the forum shared before - once the Bag is your EDC, you pretty much know where your stuffs are. And, if you allow your hand slip in blindly, you will most probably get it right 80% of the time.

Nevertheless, I try to color my frequently use item in my EDC such as my Key in Solar 16" Key Strap and I am thinking as well to get a Wasabi Cordura Small Organiser Pouch to replace my Olive 420d SCOP for some reflective light. Hm, I believe these additional add-on are optional and they may just please my biased mind, biased heart and my crave.

One last point, I would most probably get a brighter lining for non-edc bag because the packing is done in one moment and used for a shorter period of time. Hence, the habit of where this and where that may yet to be kick-in mindlessly - compare to an EDC, which you gradually build many moments and it had become your unknowingly habit.

Good luck.
    I hope I did help out in some way.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 09-08-2014 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Restructure last paragraph
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny - I still gravitate to brightly-colored TB interiors, but just now realized that my workout bag (a Large Shop Bag) is Steel Dyneema, and the packing cube/stuff sack that I have in there are also Steel. I was surprised by how much I like the coordination, and that the color was not a hindrance to finding anything. (It was unintentional - the cube I wanted was only available in Steel, and the Stuff Sack was originally for some other bag.)

Granted, the LSB opens up wider than a Synapse. But, as previous posters have noted, Steel is (a) not that dark, and (b) you can choose some of the brighter accessories so that they stand out against the grey. I also find that, if I organize everything by pouch, there are no random things at the bottom of the bag that I have to struggle to find. (Or if something falls thru the cracks, there's only one thing, and it's easy enough to pull all the pouches out on their key straps, grab the thing, and toss everything back in. Smilie)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. All of your inputs are very valuable, while I haven't and don't plan to purchase other accessories (am in the UK and now that I've ordered and it's dispatched, not worth while to pay for shopping for smaller items), I will be using this as an everyday bag for things like work and gym etc so hopefully will know where things are. It's really nice to know that visibility is still good with steel. Also I'm going from a black targus backpack and a black handbag (which I'll still have to use for meetings, etc) so I'm pretty sure it will be better than what I currently have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    Thanks everyone. All of your inputs are very valuable, while I haven't and don't plan to purchase other accessories (am in the UK and now that I've ordered and it's dispatched, not worth while to pay for shopping for smaller items), I will be using this as an everyday bag for things like work and gym etc so hopefully will know where things are. It's really nice to know that visibility is still good with steel. Also I'm going from a black targus backpack and a black handbag (which I'll still have to use for meetings, etc) so I'm pretty sure it will be better than what I currently have.
    Haha, you can get pouches and other crap when you decide to switch your black handbag out for a black Swift or Little Swift. ... Just sayin' Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Haha, you can get pouches and other crap when you decide to switch your black handbag out for a black Swift or Little Swift. ... Just sayin' Smilie

Haha wish I could adalangdon. But working in finance doesn't allow me to carry Swifts into meetings...and the right side of my back suffers as a result but that doesn't mean I can't take advantage of a good backpack (I.e synapse) on my way into work! (With some sensible flats/trainers on...)