Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ceb - Bravo!

I have experienced that same thing. In addition to lightening your load, it makes moving around easier, you naturally get more organized and everything is more convenient/closer to your finger tips - you make your life simpler and less stressful. Its like it gives you more energy to enjoy life!

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DLBC is in my cart (along with lots of of other organizing bags and doodads, you know how it is).

I just got back from 10 days with the TriStar. It was to state the obvious, awesome. Gate Agents wanted to pink tag it for the CRJs, I was like "no way"! Fit without problem in bin in first.

Zipping through the airport was a joy. No waiting for elevators at airline lounges. Getting used to setting everything in the ground takes a little getting used to. But still, life changing.

@ceb: love your strategy. I will do the same.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent choice @bzn - it will really compliment your TriStar and allow you to one bag it and avoid the Gate Check Agents!
    It is quite freeing to know you can just walk off the plane with what you have with you and go straight out the airport - especially on those late arrivals! ... a great example of the "Tom Bihn Portable Culture"

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-22-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tpnl so true. I actually have a game where I try to get out of the airport as quickly and in as few steps as possible.

It's a tiny airport but I get off the plane, make a direct diagonal line from the gate to the exits. Head down the escalators (walking down them double time now with the tri-star), angle to the exit doors and straight out to my car!

I can literally go from deplaning to my car in about 3 minutes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @bzn,

Read your tread with interest re set up for business travel and mobile office.

I am considering a DLBC for business EDC (and some business travel) as something that is a bit smarter for business meetings. I currently use a Synapse 19 (great bag) that holds a smart looking cache style file holder.

I like the smaller profile (as does force you to think about reducing what you need/carry), but concerned that the DLBC may be just a little too small.

Wondering your thoughts on the DLBC and if you were able to set it up to suit your purpose?

Cheers,
    oz

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Oz -

I LOVE the DLBC. It is pure awesome. Small, tidy, smart. Keep in mind that it really doesn't carry much. I know others suggest carrying things like a Side Effect but I think they make the DLBC bulge unnaturally.

The beauty of the DLBC, to me, is that it is small, smart, and efficient. That carries over into business settings very well.

It works very well for me. Sometimes I carry it on its own. If I'm traveling really light, I will stash the DLBC with all of its contents in my western flyer or tristar, taking it out once I am on the ground.

Hope this helps

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @bzn for your comments. Right along the lines that I would want to use the DLBC and great feedback elsewhere....so time to place my next TB order.

Cheers, oz

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love the DLBC but it's just a little too small for some applications. Namely: carrying a laptop, a collapsible travel umbrella, a bridge camera, and some notebooks. I cannot get away from the notebooks, no-siree-bob. I loves me the notebooks.

Anywho, I finally broke down and just ordered a Cadet. And just so the Cadet doesn't get lonely, I picked up a Pilot, too.

Admitting one has a problem is the first step to getting help. The second step is to BUY ALL THE BAGS!

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bzn View Post
    I really love the DLBC but it's just a little too small for some applications. Namely: carrying a laptop, a collapsible travel umbrella, a bridge camera, and some notebooks. I cannot get away from the notebooks, no-siree-bob. I loves me the notebooks.

Anywho, I finally broke down and just ordered a Cadet. And just so the Cadet doesn't get lonely, I picked up a Pilot, too.

Admitting one has a problem is the first step to getting help. The second step is to BUY ALL THE BAGS!
    Admission I'd the first step, yes. Now what are you gonna do about it?

Might I suggest a series of photos that capture how you plan on setting up each bag? They go a long way in helping to justify each purchase.

Hello .. and a request for suggestions on bags for mobile office

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to get photos off my new bridge camera over wifi (I do not have a card reader at the moment). I will post them as soon as I can.

So my new Pilot and Cadet just arrived. First off, I'm pretty sure the Cadet is just not going to work for me. It is HUGE! My 11" MacBook positively swims in the thing.

The Pilot on the other hand is pretty close to what I need, namely, carrying a laptop and a DSLR. Unfortunately, the DSLR does tend to make the Pilot bulge unattractively and partially occlude the pockets on the front, but for getting my gear to destination, I think it will work well.

Again, pictures tell the story. Will post some today.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As promised, here's the first in a series of my new setup.

Use case #1: Touring around some city, working on my laptop along the way over coffee, lunch, etc.
    Gear: 11" MacBook; Panasonic Lumix bridge camera, maybe some water, miscellaneous doodads.

The DLBC was just too small for this use case. I just picked up a Pilot and a Cadet as possibilities. Although I like the Cadet, I believe it will be going home to Seattle. It's just too big. Here are some photos of the Pilot and Cadet.

Hello .. and a request for suggestions on bags for mobile office-img_2724-jpg
    A new Pilot in the initial provisioning stage.

Hello .. and a request for suggestions on bags for mobile office-img_2725-jpg
    Pilot loaded up. You can see that the camera makes it bulge a bit. Still fits, but not perfect.

Hello .. and a request for suggestions on bags for mobile office-img_2726-jpg
    The Pilot is slightly uneven when loaded like this. It doesn't balance well on the handle.

Hello .. and a request for suggestions on bags for mobile office-img_2727-jpg
    Here's what I basically intend to carry.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bzn, I agreed. I super like my Grey DLBC. My perfect work bag/briefcase, with plenty of A4 Papers and Folders, plus my new 12.5" E7240 Ultrabook (Hints @tpnl). Also, I love its front divided pockets - very handy for me to slide in/out my accessories like Cordless Mouse, Mobile Phone, even my Power Adapter.

However, I still hope there is more depth. I fear the main compartment could be very tight if I started to use Cache (Macbook 13" Retina Pro, I assumed the closest) which unfortunately in backorder until late July.

I also agreed with you, @bzn about your last point that it doesn't balance well on the handle, with uneven load of the Pilot. I really dislike hand-carrying such experience.

Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your experience. Great photos!
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @wierdguy yes, I'm not sure what the best next-size-up carry is from DLBC.

Either the Co-Pilot (which to me looks pretty small) or the Cadet (which is really quite huge. I would love to see something similar in length and width to the Pilot but with a) two handles and b) slightly more depth. Even 1/2" would make a big difference for carrying boxy irregular things like a DSLR at the same time as a rigid thing like a laptop.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A backpack?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    A backpack?
    I do travel now with the Packing Cube backpack (and even more recently now, the DLBP). I found the Packing Cube backpack too floppy, but the DLBP is great how you can build it up a bit with a sweater or jacket.

Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of backpacks. They are awkward in crowded places (like the BTS or MTA in Bangkok), it's hard to walk around in stores with them, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast