Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question about spiff kit deluxe

I've looked a couple of the spiff kit threads and photos but still can't figure out: on the side with the little bottle shelf, does the pocket go all the way down to the end of the bag (behind the bottles)? I'm asking because I can't see myself using those bottles and am wondering if I can just stuff more into the pocket if I take them out, or if that space is just "lost"?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viewsnortheast View Post
    I've looked a couple of the spiff kit threads and photos but still can't figure out: on the side with the little bottle shelf, does the pocket go all the way down to the end of the bag (behind the bottles)? I'm asking because I can't see myself using those bottles and am wondering if I can just stuff more into the pocket if I take them out, or if that space is just "lost"?

Thanks!
    Unfortch the space is lost if you don't use the bottles. If the jars aren't used, the velcro ledge that they're mounted on can be folded up to touch the bottom of the pockets. I only ended up using one of the jars, but you'll be surprised at how large they are-- you can put a number of pills inside, or jewelry, cufflinks, or anything small and fiddly. Hope this helps you decide.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I missed this, but are the actual mesh pockets of the larger spiff kit more generously sized than on the standard, or is it only the space for the jars that makes it larger?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks; that was helpful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Sorry if I missed this, but are the actual mesh pockets of the larger spiff kit more generously sized than on the standard, or is it only the space for the jars that makes it larger?
    This is a question that I also have: anyone chime in?

Also, I have what is probably a stupid question: but do you leave the little jars attached to the Velcro shelf when you zip up the SKD? Aren't the jars then upside down inside the case, when you are holding it by the outside handle?

Thanks!

~Nancy

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the deluxe Spiff Kit the top mesh pocket is larger, the bottom one is the same.

Yes, the jars are upside down when you are holding it by the handles.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top mesh pocket on the DSK is larger than that of the SSK. The divided bottom mesh pockets of the DSK is the same height, just a tad wider, than that of the SSK. If you do not use the jars and the jar shelf, that space is lost. Its location is not optimal for alternative use. But I maybe missing something. I am open to ideas.

@ncb4, yes the bottles would be upside down. I suppose you can put velcro on top of the lids instead of at the bottom of the jar. Then the jars would be right side up if you grab the DSK by its top handles.

I am debating keeping the DSK. I bought it for the larger capacity but the added capacity is not as large as I hoped.

I have mixed feelings about the jars and the jar/bottle shelf:
    1) the velcro stuck to the bottom of the jars came off the jars when the DSK arrived. I put the velcro back into the bottom of the jars, but they come off each time I pull the jars out of the shelf.

2) I do not see myself using the 4 jars at the same time, based on what and how I pack the current hygiene items I bring. If I used 1 or 2 of the jars, I will likely put it/them inside the pockets instead of sticking them to the bottle shelf.

3) There does not seem to be an optimal use of the space if I did not use it to hold the jars.

I like the design of the SSK as is.

I do not ever use the hanger. I have been cutting of the hanger on the 3DOCs that I used as hygiene kits.

So I would love a version of the SSK without the hanger (give me O-rings instead), with both pockets oriented to open on top so that all the bottles I put in either pocket would be right side up if I grabbed the top handles.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. This is very helpful!
    Yes, I'm not sure about the jars either; I would like to have a version with just mesh pockets, that utilize all the available space.
    The hanger is important for me though. I don't use it on the 3D cubes, but I would here.
    ---
    Looking at the larger spiff kit, I wonder if that space where the jars are could be re-used as an area to store a rolled up Salux washcloth (in a Ziploc, or some other waterproof, bag). That is one item that never fits well into any of my toiletry kits, and if it could be integrated, that would be one step towards being able to contain everything in one place.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-07-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much to both of you, @rafoster and @Walker: your answers were very helpful, though now I'm not so sure I'm going to order the SKD. I think I would prefer a version without the Velcro shelf, so I could get full use of the extra space of the Deluxe version. I've already amassed a collection of travel-size containers, so I don't really need the bottles either. @Walker, have you tried super-gluing the Velcro to the containers?

I also cut off the hangers in all my 3DOCs, but one of the reasons I am thinking of getting a Spiff Kit is because it has the hanger. I'll be making three trips between July and September that will involve sharing bathrooms, so I thought a hanging kit with a handle would be really great to carry back and forth hetween the bathroom and my bedroom.

~Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, an O ring instead of the hanger would be a great idea. People can always and a S-biner or something if they want the hanging ability. I don't have either spiff kit but with other toiletry kits I generally find that the hanger is never quite the right size --either too large and always in the way or too small for what I actually want to hang it on.

My current cunning plan for the jar space was to velcro on a small plastic pencil case --but now looking at Walker's photos maybe this plan would fail because of the hanging mechanism in the middle, which I hadn't noticed in the other photos. Hmm.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to show, what that hanger looks without the curvy bit. Works great as an O-Ring. A sharp knife, a controlled cut and a bit of heat to melt down any sharp edges -> a Triangle-Ring.

question about spiff kit deluxe-img_0660-jpg

And I do not even take an S-biner to hang this beauty. I just use a key-strap through the handle and loop it around whatever I have handy.

Regarding the jars: I have not done so because my toothbrush does not work for this, but I thought putting some velcro under one of these thouthbrush-boxes might work nice on that jar-shelf. And reading a bit in that bar-soap thread: slices or barsoap, toothbrush-powder... would work nicely in that jars too. But they cloth watertight so you can have creme or shampoo or what not in there too without any spill.

Hope this helps,
    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilkyway, that's genius! I'm going to do that. It looks like the triangle-ring can still fit on a hook like intended. Smart!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @illyway, THAT is exactly how I have been cutting the hangers on my 3DOC.

@bchaplin, I thought same - I.e., alternative use for the shelf. If the female button in the middle of the bottom mesh pockets is moved up - or maybe just put a 2nd female button further up, one can keep thin make-up and artist brushes in the space created between the shelf and the back wall. The shelf is pretty stiff, however. Maybe re-design to allow removing the stiffener. The tab may also need to be a bit longer. I do have a salux-like material. I will take a photo tonight.

@ncb4, the super glue is an idea. If I keep the DSK, I will try it. I am on the fence about it.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is from that 3DOC thread and I am pretty sure I did not come up with it. I am doing it for so long now (all my 3DOCs are like that altered) that I am no longer able to remember who came up with it. If it was you, please do not think me an idea-thief!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @LOL somewhere on the forum, I posted similar photo or photos. I also do not always remember the idea originators, but I learned so much about optimizing the use of my bags from other forum members. In my heart, I am grateful and give them credit, even if I do not always remember who came up with what!
    Last edited by Walker; 04-07-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast