Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a woman on Flyer talk forums (Meg something?) who uses a small Briggs & Rlley rolling tote with her Tristar. Basically, her carryon bag is soft-sided, and her personal item is a small bag with wheels. When she boards a plane, she carries the small tote by the handle. She says she's been successful boarding small planes with this combo.

I love this idea, but I'm too tall to share my legroom with a roller tote. Might work well for someone who doesn't need as much legroom under the seat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the information, I think we will research roller bags and go with one of those. Any experience with eBags brand?
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 25" ebags roller--it does well for its job. But for true carryon size, I really like my Rick Steve's 20" roller. It's light and affordable. (Those bags were 20% off recently.). Pairs well with an S19.

Forum Member
    Asheville, NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a 20-22in Roller. Like TavaPeak, I also like the Rick Steves 20in Carry On Rolling bag that was on SALE last week for $128.
    20-22inches is SMALL & takes some learning how to pack. I also like Eagle Creek Load Warrior, and Eagle Creek No Matter What Rolling Duffel - all these bags are light-weight to begin with (6pounds and under), so if you do CarryOn only, they are fairly easy to put in over head bins. I have some EBags packing cubes, but not a suitcase, so I can't say. I do see nice Rolling Bags at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross - some are 8-9 pounds though . . . Just try and stay light-weight on whatever you choose.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an eBags roller bag for work (like an oversized briefcase, not for luggage) - I think it's the Vertical Mobile Office. I never, ever use it. It's very heavy (nearly 10 lbs) empty, and probably for that reason it's uncomfortable to use. I like the built-in organization of many eBags bags (their purses, for example), but if I wanted a bag with wheels again I'd look elsewhere.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bunch of eBags brand bags. They are well designed and made but their wheeled bags are heavy. eBags has a tendency to over-design to include a lot of "bells and whistles" which makes them heavy.

Besides lightweight wheeled bags from Rick Steves and Eagle Creek, you might want to look at Lipault. Rimowa also makes an excellent light wheeled bag but they are very expensive and I believe only come in a four wheeled version.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second the Lipault recommendation. Though sometimes the side handle sticks out a bit much when you're rolling down an aisle. But, it's a great bag for a reasonable price and very lightweight. Plus, it comes in pretty colors. My Wife Says - No Rollers?  No More!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Asheville, NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never heard of Lipault before, so I just went to Amazon & the Lipault website . . . there is a sale on the Lipault website & Amazon has certain colors for a very good price . . . I really like the 20inch (for Europe CarryOn) & 22inch
    2-wheeled bags. We are giving a European CarryOn to our neighbor who is getting married in June - they are going to Europe on their honeymoon & we may go with this bag, the only thing it's missing, that I would want, is a handle on the side for ease of getting in & out of airline bins & also for carrying,...thanks to the above 2 posts...

Foldable 2-Wheeled Continental Carry-On - Foldable Wheeled Luggage

If we don't give her the above bag, we will give her the Rick Steves 20inch Rolling CarryOn & a TB Travel Tray... this forum is SO helpful...

Rolling Carry-On - Rick Steves' Travel Store
    Last edited by chinalake; 04-09-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chinalake....you'd better rethink that Lipault bag. Did you look at the dimensions? Too wide at 16" if the gate agents are fussy.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Asheville, NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Chinalake....you'd better rethink that Lipault bag. Did you look at the dimensions? Too wide at 16" if the gate agents are fussy.
    FrankII, thanks!

I researched & all I could find for International CarryOn was 45 linear inches, which would work. I thought if they advertised it as ok for European CarryOn, their dimensions should be ok? What are the dimensions for Europe Carry On? Since it doesn't have the side handle that I like, we will just get her the RS 20in Rolling CarryOn instead, we assume that one is ok. We ordered 2 last week when they were on sale. Thank you again!
    Last edited by chinalake; 04-10-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel weekly (from east coast to California) which translates into four planes each week. My back even as a 37 year old can't handle lugging everything on my back. I use a Rimowa Topas IATA sized roller. Smoothest wheels, extremely durable and forces me to edit what I bring. I ended up purchasing it in France so I got better pricing than you can here in the US plus I got the tax refund.

Basically it is an aluminum European carryon sized bag. I've not encountered a plane yet where it doesn't fit including traveling as a carryon within Europe on the carriers such as Air France, British Airways and Alitalia.

It forces me to edit because let's be clear you can't keep smooshing things in an aluminum suitcase-- you won't be able to shut it. Not at all like a fabric bag where you can end up over packing.

I tend to carry a Timbuk2 backpack with some organizer bags from TB as my personal item. I will most likely take a look at the western flyer later.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I will second the Lipault recommendation. Though sometimes the side handle sticks out a bit much when you're rolling down an aisle. But, it's a great bag for a reasonable price and very lightweight. Plus, it comes in pretty colors. My Wife Says - No Rollers?  No More!

Just be careful to not check it. I had a Lipault awhile ago and ended up donating it to Goodwill. It was forcibly checked once and the material is not the most heavy duty in the world. It came out of baggage ripped and tattered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2