Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for a new Bag for MacBook (12") + a Trip to Europe

Hey everyone. First time post, though I've been an addict for a while.

I've got a brand new MacBook (12") on it's way and I'm shopping for a bag (or two) and just trying to get some opinions to help me. I'm trying to decide between a Ristretto and a Co-Pilot. I might end up with both.

On a daily basis, I generally carry (in a Knomo Padstow...which I switched to after using the 1st Gen Ristretto):

Laptop (right now, 13" MacBook Air, in a few days, a 12" MacBook)
    iPad
    Sunglasses
    Keys
    A few pens
    Not much more

For this EDC stuff, a Ristretto seems like the better choice for me. But I'm also getting ready to take a three week trip to Europe with my A45. And I'll want something on the plane and trains (and for day-carry around Europe) to also hold:

A small camera
    3-1-1 bag
    Some small chargers
    Passport
    Headphones

My quandary is whether a Ristretto will be the right choice for the trip to Europe or if I would prefer to have the CP for this trip. I've read a bunch of forum threads about people who like traveling with the CP and the A45, but not many about the Ristretto.

Any thoughts from someone who has had to make a similar choice?

Forum Member
    Upstate NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums @Chriswheat. I don't have the Copilot, but am considering getting one so I will be interested in the answers you receive, but I have owned a Ristretto in the past. It seems like the new MacBook may be a tight fit in the Copilot... the MacBook is 11.04" wide and the Copilot is just 12" in width. That means the cache (padded sleeve for the laptop) will be pretty close to the edges of the bag. I use a cache for my MacBook Air 11" and it provides pretty good protection, but a hard strike of the edge of the copilot will be transmitted to the computer. I think the extra rigidity of the ballistic nylon copilot (vs the Dyneema) should help a little. The ristretto seems like it will provide better protection for the laptop, but at the cost of carrying a bigger bag.

I'd be interested in your impression of the new MacBook once you receive it. I tried it and I'm curious how long it takes to get used to the new keyboard.

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi chriswheat, I just ordered a CP today after what seems like ages of thinking about it suiting my needs. Like you, I have a trip with an A45 coming up and wanted something for my Personal Items bag that will also double as an EDC. I currently use an 11" MBA, which I have heard definitely fits in the CP. I think I'll need a new computer this fall due and my next obsessive overthinking will likely be whether to get an oldschool design 13" MBP or get the new 12" one. Basically, that decision will come down to how much I fall in love with the CP. I feel like there is a thread somewhere that suggested the 12" "should" fit in the CP, with or without cache I'm not sure.

I never once considered a Ristretto simply because carrying my MBA is an exception and not a rule, so it would be overkill for an EDC for me. I like the idea that the CP can even be used as a minimalist overnight bag, if necessary. HTH

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are peoples thoughts about carrying an Aeronaut 45 and a Pilot? Is that too much to carry on a plane? Is it physically too much to carry?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Physically too much to carry depends on the person and what they put in it, I guess. For the trip to Europe, though, it would probably be best to check the specific airlines that you are planning to fly with, as baggage limits vary.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chriswheat View Post
    What are peoples thoughts about carrying an Aeronaut 45 and a Pilot? Is that too much to carry on a plane? Is it physically too much to carry?
    This depends on your height, physical fitness and how much you pack the A45.

Your previous post differentiated your EDC (Every Day Carry, in case you don't know) to your travelling load.

I suppose that your headphones, the camera and the 3-1-1 are the items that prevent you from using the Ristretto instead of a Pilot, CP or DLBC.

Could you pack those items in your Ristretto and take a stroll to your favorite coffee shop, book store, etc...? This is the kind of walking you would be doing in Europe.

If the Ristretto feels uncomfortable you need either a CP, a Pilot or Daylight Briefcase - Ultralight Minimalist Briefcase - TOM BIHN

And your best fabric bet would be Dyneema.

Many of the people who report their experiences are going on business or business/vacation trips. The Pilot and Co-Pilot in Ballistic fabric, are perfect minimalist and professional looking briefcases.

But, for out and about lightweight and ultra tough fabric Dyneema cannot be surpassed.

I used to travel with a Cordura Brain Bag and a Cordura Large Cafe Bag, I switched to a Dyneema A45 and a Dyneema S19. I am more of a portrait style bags. At the destination, the Small Cafe Bag which is used as a Packing Cube or laid flat in the A45 carry the essentials while the S19 is used for extra layers of clothing , small camera...

The S19 has roughly the capacity of the Pilot except the carry on dimension as an under the seat bag for most airlines.

I copied the dimension from the products pages which should give you an idea of the physical presence of the bags.

S 19
    Dimensions: 16" x 11.4" x 7.9" / 410 x 290 x 200 mm
    Weight:
    400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop: 1 lb 7 oz / 650 grams
    1000d Cordura: 1 lb 8 oz / 680 grams
    Volume: 1160 cubic inches / 19 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

Pilot
    Dimensions: 15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1" / 390 x 290 x 130 mm
    Weight:
    1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon: 1 lbs 8 oz / 680 grams
    400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop: 1 lbs 1 oz / 475 grams
    Volume: 800 cubic inches / 13 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)
    Shoulder Strap included
    Large Packing Cube:
    Dimensions: 14.8" x 11" x 2.5" / 375 x 280 x 65 mm
    Weight: 4 oz / 110g
    Volume: 425 cubic inches / 7 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)
    Small Packing Cube:
    Dimensions: 10.8" x 6.3" x 2.4" / 275 x 160 x 60 mm
    Weight: 2 oz / 65g
    Volume: 125 cubic inches / 2 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)
    Meets domestic and international airlines' personal carry-on item size standard; easily fits in overhead compartment of CRJ commuter planes

CP
    Dimensions: 12" x 10" x 5" / 300 x 255 x 125 mm
    Weight:
    1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon: 1 lb 3 oz / 530 grams
    1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon, with Standard Strap: 1 lb 9 oz / 700 grams
    400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop: 14 oz / 385 grams
    400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop, with Standard Strap: 1 lbs 4 oz / 555 grams
    Volume: 600 cu. in. / 10 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)
    Meets domestic and international airlines' personal carry-on item size standard; easily fits in overhead compartment of CRJ commuter planes

Daylight Briefcase
    Dimensions: 13.4 x 9.8 x 6.5 / 340 x 250 x 165 mm
    Weight:
    400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop: 9.2 oz / 260 grams
    1000d CorduraŽ: 12.5 oz / 354 grams
    Volume: 732 cubic inches / 12 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, this is very helpful.

If the CP was available in dyneema right now, it would be an easy decision...oh well.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the CP was available in dyneema right now, it would be an easy decision...oh well.
    I was told not until Juneish. I was hoping to pick a Dyneema CP for our trip to Italy mid May. I will have to "suffer" through the trip with my standard CP.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#5 post on this thread, http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...se-review.html shows a picture comparing the size of many, landscape style, briefcase style and travel bags together.

The Co-Pilot would be between the DLBC and the Pilot.