Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Waterproof/Repellent is the PCSB?

I am hoping to use my new PCSB as a drop bag in an upcoming marathon but the long range forecast is looking kind of wet. Do any of you have experience with the PCSB in rainy conditions? How does it perform? Would I need an extra layer of baggies to keep food and clothing dry inside of it if it were sitting outside in the rain for a couple of hours?

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your PCSB 200d or 400d? I had zero issues with the rain with my 400d dyneema DLBP in pelting wind and rain in Avebury. But, I didn't have anything close to the zippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Waterproof/Repellent is the PCSB?

Is it the Boston marathon? If so, check the regs. Last year there were limits on what the runners could wear for security reasons.

Either way, best of luck!

----

Ugh, I'm on Tapatalk and can't figure out how to delete my post. I just realized what "drop bag" means-- probably not what is carried during the race.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-16-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be nervous about using a TB bag as a drop bag! But to answer your question, I don't think you'd have any problems with a new bag and light or even moderate rain, though I've never left one out in steady rain for hours. I'd still use a liner. No need to risk finding damp clothes and food at the end of 26.2 miles. The last run where I had to leave a drop bag had pop-up tents to protect people's things from the rain, but my bag ended up on the ground under other bags. If water had started running under the tent, I imagine things would have gotten ugly.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bcchaplin, on Tapatalk, tap on your post - it will turn blue. At the top in the orange section, you will see a pen "edit" icon, and you can delete from there, I think.

HTH!

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies! Trying again to reply,since it looks like the mods approved another of my replies but not this one. Maybe it got lost in the internetz? Anyway, I am doing a smallish trail marathon in Louisville and I'll pass my bag 4 different times on the course so I'll be able to keep an eye on it. My PCSB is 200d, not 400d (the latter would be great). Are there any of the smaller, less expensive bags that you think would be better for this purpose?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought (and maybe people who are runners can chime in), but what about a $15-$30 "dry bag"; the kind used for kayaking? REI sells a reasonably priced, thin version. In my experience they are very waterproof. You could put your packing cube shoulder bag inside of one, and then you know your things would stay dry, and it would be easy to carry home as you could take the PCSB out and wear it. And the top of the dry bag folds over a few times and buckles, which would provide a "loop" on which to hang an ID tag.

I find those dry bags useful for other purposes too, so it wouldn't necessarily be just for the race. Obviously, they are great for kayaking. I also use one for washing clothes on the go, as they hold the water inside as well as keeping it from getting in. And they can even serve as packing cubes to help containerize inside a suitcase or travel bag.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dry bag's a great idea! I've been meaning to get a smallish one (this one or this one) for travel for clothes washing/wet bathing suit stashing (per your suggestion, bchaplin) and it's nice to see ideas for alternate uses. Plus, they come in bright colors and the roll-top ones are easy to get into (don't get a zip bag - they can be tricky to seal).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not as inexpensive, i use the TB laundry bag to hold wet items. While it closes with a drawstring, the rest is pretty waterproof.

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dry bag is a great idea bchaplin! I'm not sure if I have time to implement it for this one (and just spent out my REI dividend on a new GPS!) but definitely something to think about for the future.