Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrying a Daylight Backpack

Hey there! Very excited to just receive my first Tom Bihn product, a daylight backpack in black dyneema! (was tempted by the Aeronaut 45 but went with the Osprey Porter 46 instead...for now...).

The backpack is really rather awesome. Great material, excellent quality, good size. I'm into the idea of the shingled back pouches, though I haven't quite found a way yet to stuff them for comfort. Putting a sweater in either of the pouches makes the bag a bit lumpy, albeit padded. I almost prefer a folder or something of the sorts to just provide a pokey protector. How do you recommend loading it up for carrying comfort?

Waist strap -- do any of you use it? I'm into it in theory, but when I cinch it tight enough to be functional, I look like a bit of an idiot. As such, I've removed it. Any suggestions as to how to best use it?

Lastly, the question that inspired this thread: how have you coped with the lack of sternum strap? I find the straps, while comfortable, ride almost into my armpits. A sternum strap would easily fix this. Do you have any suggestions as to how I might add my own sternum strap?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the exact same bag! Love it for traveling, and biking. I can't comment on the waist or sternum strap issue. I don't use the former very often, and have not found a need for the latter. I wear the backpack very loosely, if that matters, and keep it light.

I'm not sure if I would have issues with "lumpiness" if I was putting more things inside, but the fact is that for me, it is mostly a bag for day-touring. It has my guidebook, some extra clothes, sunscreen, keys and wallet or Side Effect. When I use it for biking to work, I fill my Pilot or Co-Pilot with my everyday things, and that just slips inside the Daylight Backpack.

Hope you enjoy the DLBP!

Beth
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-27-2015 at 04:19 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Daylight Backpack as well, and I really love it! I purchased it in Burnt Orange, and I'm considering adding another one to my collection in a different colorway, as I also enjoy wearing a fair amount of pinks and purples, and the orange tends to clash with certain shades.

I don't use the waist strap at all, as I've never really felt it was a big issue. A waist strap just seems to get in the way of quick accessibility. I have sometimes wished for a sternum strap, it is true, for the same reason you mention, but that it a rarity. The straps only bother me if I'm carrying the bag for extended periods of time. I am glad it doesn't have one, because every little bit adds to the bag's weight, and I love how light it is.

If I could change one thing about the bag, I would simply have the zipper go down further on each side. I have the Packing Cube Backpack for the Western Flyer, and I love how that bag opens all the way up. I would love it if the Daylight would open up further down, because it can sometimes be a bit dark to find things in the bottom of the bag. It's not a big enough issue to make me dissatisfied with the bag, however.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a DLBP, but I have a PCBP. I've only used it a few times as a backpack. When I do I tie a bandanna around the straps to act as a sternum strap. I have relatively narrow shoulders, so modifying the straps thusly keeps me from hunching my shoulders to prevent the pack sliding down.

But, I've also seen add-on sternum straps sold in camping/outdoor gear stores (Hudson Trail Outfitters, REI) - the sides of the strap buckle/snap around each shoulder strap, and then it just acts as a standard sternum strap. Slightly less fiddly than tying and re-tying a ribbon or kerchief each time you want to take off your pack.

Waist strap: I don't love the look of this on me. But if I'm going for a long walk, or if I have a big load, I put up with the ungainly aesthetics. Smilie I suppose you could wear a vest, or button-down shirt, and have the sides dangle over the strap to camouflage it somewhat.
    Last edited by haraya; 04-27-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of the people that needs the sternum strap on the S19 and S25 (the newer version with the wider straps).

But with the DLBP I do NOT need a sternum strap. The straps stay put just fine. I've had the pack filled with all combinations of heavy vs light and stuffed vs empty. I use as an EDC and/or carrying gear while dog training - so I'm moving around too.

Currently I have a Side Effect in the top pocket and paperwork (8.5 x 11 sheets of paper folded in half) in the bottom pocket. That provides enough cushioning for me. Maybe it provides structure too, or maybe it's the cordura that's just naturally stiffer than the Dyneema. I've got a Dyneema version on order, so I can compare when it arrives.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will echo others... I also have the DLBP in dyneema and love it. The straps for me are very comfortable (I have petite shoulders) and have not felt the need for a sternum strap with the exception of one time when it was overstuffed with tins of tea, two water bottles, boxes of chocolate, a rain jacket, and 3DOC. After I drank the water and took the jacket out (started raining), it was just fine. I should also mention that I tend to wear sleeves so I get the armpit issue, but I think I've just gotten used to it. If I was sleeveless I'd likely be uncomfortable, but I thin I would be with any backpack. I've never used the waist strap and I've walked with this bag on my back for many miles! I know some folks (eWalker, maybe) like to use the waist strap in single backpack strap mode as it offers the ability for the back to easily stay at your side, easy to slide around the front to get something out, yet keeps the bag off your back in hot, humid weather. Pretty brilliant adaptation, I think.

For packing, I really try to take advantage of the shingled pockets. If I'm traveling, I like to place things like a jacket or SE in the pockets so it sits flat against my back. I put my water bottle in at the very bottom as it tends to then sit just underneath the bottom pocket. Sometimes I'll put the PCSB at the bottom of the bag and the SE or jacket in the upper shingled pocket. If I'm packing my laptop, I place it in the lower shingled pocket and ditch the use of the upper pocket so it is flat against my back. My goal is to adjust how I pack so that what is against my back is comfortable so you can see how you can really play up the use/not use of the shingled pockets depending on your load. The DLBP is probably my most favorite backpack ever. It's so versatile and light. Plus, I love the dyneema. Smilie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost ordered a dynema DLBP today but ordered a dynema Swift instead. But, I will let the dynema DLBP. I love my plum. Took it on a weekend away a week ago and it was very comfortable using it to get to my various mtgs. Will be using it - or a dynema - when I go away for a week in June.