Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: parental unit

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I returned it today. I've been using backpacks lately w/SEs. I might order again down the road.

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fickle, and I'll grab a different bag on short notice. But lately (last few weeks), the Parental Unit has been my most commonly grabbed bag when I don't need to carry a computer, but I still want / need things like a book, a bike lock, a bottle of water, a notepad .... My MacBook Air does *fit* but without any special padding, and I don't like to have to coddle. The Parental Unit is nice for zipping by bike to a store or local obligation.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying out new bags and finding out what specifically gives us (or doesn't give us) the joy to carry them (or collect them) is part of the journey. It is ever evolving.

I think it's great to experiment with what bags might work, and then discover if that excitement still holds true down the road. I think it can be normal for the excitement to wane, especially if part of the joy was in the mere discovery and trial use of the new bag and having to evaluate if that bag would ultimately work or not. The joy was in the process too, not just in the end result.

I can still be excited about one of my bags even if it is sitting in the closet being unused at the moment or two (or three or four). I still love that bag for many various reasons, and knowing I'll be able to use it in some meaningful fashion or other. I don't have to immediately know the destiny of the bag's use for me to still enjoy it. But that's only if I like the design and functionality of the bag, or whatever else attracts me to that bag.

But if I feel lukewarm or blah about that bag even if I initially had excitement about it, then I'll sell it, trade it, return it. One of the best ways to be clear about what I truly like is to absolutely be clear about what I don't like (anymore). Preferences simply change, just like we do.

Mid-Atlantic
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for directing me to this thread, marytattoo!

Since receiving the PU I've really had to think about what I like in a bag--I am not a briefcase kind of person so getting one of the boxier bags--like a CP--doesn't appeal to me. Backpacks are nice but there are times I need a PLO. In the TB bag pantheon only the Swift and the PU suit the style of PLO I prefer. I have a Swift but it wasn't big enough to comfortably carry the things I tote around on a daily basis. Carrying two bags doesn't appeal to me either. I'm really going to have to mull this one over. I appreciate everyone's input on this and the various photo threads posted by PU owners.

Below is my original query, which was posted in another PU thread:

"I just got the PU as a gift and I have to say it's much larger than I thought. This bag feels really WIDE--and I'm not a petite woman. Curiously enough, the middle section of the bag feels really narrow and small. I don't know if I can get used to it. Granted, the PU was designed to be a diaper bag and not the childfree person's EDC bag, which is what I want to make it. When I put a classic size planner, a water bottle and an small packing cube in the middle section it's so full I can't quite close the zipper. The OP mentioned leaving the bag unzipped and now I see why. There is some stiffness to the bag, to the degree I struggled a little with the side zippers once the bag had been loaded up. Knowing that the bag softens up a bit over time is good.

The quick adjust strap is nice but it keeps sliding off my shoulder when I don't carry it cross body. There are some situations where carrying the bag cross body is undesirable (when I'm wearing something dressy, for instance) so I'm wondering if I should just get another strap entirely.

I really want to like this bag but I'm scared to take the tags off because it's not love at first load up.

Any words of wisdom?"

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyleo View Post
    I have a Swift but it wasn't big enough to comfortably carry the things I tote around on a daily basis.
    Hmm. The Swift is 15.5l whereas the PU is 13l. And, well, as someone who uses both bags with some regularity, I think the PU not only is smaller, but feels smaller (cf. some bags that are small, but feel big e.g. the Co-Pilot). This is because of all the built-in organisation that is done, IMO, specifically for holding smaller but odd-shaped/bulky items because it was designed mainly to be a diaper bag. It's not one of those bags that can hold a lot of items of different shapes well. I have comfortably carried a textbook, A4 papers in a file, dyneema SE, and a Pilot small packing cube in the main compartment and Klean Kanteen in the outer central pocket, but that's because the rest of my personal items are small and few enough to be held in a SCB with space leftover. My takeaway from the various ruminations on the PU here so far is that those of us for whom the PU works well as a non-parent bag carry stuff that is similarly sized/shaped like the stuff parents carry for babies, e.g. cameras, headphones, (small) water bottles, (small) knitting.

So, frankly speaking, if the Swift already is a problem, the PU is probably not the best fit for your needs unless you downsize not just a little, but a lot.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 05-08-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Mid-Atlantic
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not one of those bags that can hold a lot of items of different shapes well.
    This sums it up exactly. I have a lot of tallish objects, like water bottles and a planner, for which the Swift worked well. But I also had a couple of organizing bags that made everything a tight fit. The organization of the PU really appealed--the side pockets are amazing--but the bag can't seem to accommodate what I was carrying in the Swift. The PU requires I put the water bottles in the main compartment which means carrying the planner in my hand. I could put the planner in the main compartment but then I'd have to carry one of the water bottles--they don't fit in the side pockets. I guess I could switch to sippy cups... Hahaha! Smilie

I'm just going to have to rethink what I carry.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyleo View Post
    This sums it up exactly. I have a lot of tallish objects, like water bottles and a planner, for which the Swift worked well. But I also had a couple of organizing bags that made everything a tight fit. The organization of the PU really appealed--the side pockets are amazing--but the bag can't seem to accommodate what I was carrying in the Swift. The PU requires I put the water bottles in the main compartment which means carrying the planner in my hand. I could put the planner in the main compartment but then I'd have to carry one of the water bottles--they don't fit in the side pockets. I guess I could switch to sippy cups... Hahaha! Smilie

I'm just going to have to rethink what I carry.
    I was able to put a very tall stainless steel travel mug (16 oz maybe) in one outside corner pocket filled with water, and a slightly smaller stainless steel one catty corner on the other side (for balance). When using a swift or backpack, i put both in a #3 SS and usually put that into my bag - or just carry it by the drawstring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2