Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cafe bag question

Is the Cafe bag comfortable if worn on one shoulder, vs. cross-body?

I have had some awful experiences with messenger bags pulling on my chest, bouncing off my hips uncomfortably, etc.

But I am in need of an EDC that doesn't weigh much and will fit my stuff (a pared down version). I was all set to get an SE till I saw that my hard-shell glasses case will barely fit in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Cafe bag comfortable if worn on one shoulder, vs. cross-body?

I have had some awful experiences with messenger bags pulling on my chest, bouncing off my hips uncomfortably, etc.

But I am in need of an EDC that doesn't weigh much and will fit my stuff (a pared down version). I was all set to get an SE till I saw that my hard-shell glasses case will barely fit in it.

I only have a SCB and it's comfortable either on the shoulder or cross body. I carry a wallet, keys, sunglasses/hard shell case, iPhone, and a couple toiletries like hand sanitizer, lip balm and tissues. I sometimes will adjust the gripper part of the strap if it slides off my shoulder with movement, but I don't have to switch shoulders due to discomfort. I don't think I'd like to go bigger than the small size-not really related to heaviness, but rather the vertical orientation has some items at the bottom and I have to fish around for them a bit. It's a new bag to me and I'm pleased with it overall (dyneema/wasabi which is cheerful to me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what size you want. If you get medium, dyneema is the lightest. Whatever size, for one shoulder just keep the strap shorter. I wear mine on one shoulder unless I am needing to be on my feet for a long distance.

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a SCB because the SE would not fit an ipad mini. I find that the SCB floats right off my shoulder because it is so lightweight. I have to keep something heavy in it like a water bottle or the mini to keep it in one place and make the grippy on the strap actually grip. Shortening the strap helps too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dyneema SCB and I agree it is very lightweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCSB is another choice.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops--should have said I am thinking of Medium.
    Not sure I could get away with a Small, but maybe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's fine worn on one shoulder. The only issue I can think of is that it's not as secure as when it's worn cross-body, but that's about it. I'd recommend the Ultrasuede Wrap as it's more comfortable than the plastic pad that comes with the cafe bag strap, but you may want to wait for other users to chime in on the wrap-- it has gotten mixed reviews.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my MCB but have cut off the plastic strap piece. For a had this small the soft strap is fine.

I do have an ultrasuede strap but almost feels too bulky against the think soft strap. Have therefore hardly used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small fits a lot more than you'd think. I have a mini OP for a wallet, an iPhone 5, couple pens/chapsticks, another pouch full of vendor cards, a fist sized grocery sack, check book, bulky sunglasses, headphones in a mini padded OP, a large wad of keys for EDC.

When out for the day I add an ipad mini in a apple smart case and an 18 oz Kleen Kanteen or 12 oz mug.

Occasionally I cram in a sock knitting project in a med. yarn stuff sack although that requires the full clip strap extension and I usually just leave the stuff sack hanging off the outside.

Wish there was an o-ring in the back open pocket. It is where I tend to drop my keys and pulling a keystrap around from the body of the bag just looks odd. I guess technically so does hanging a stuff sack off the outside. Smilie

ETA: I probably should have gotten a medium but it just felt too big with only my basic carry in it.
    Last edited by Saltgirl; 05-22-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly think it depends on the person. All bags have a tendency to slip off my shoulder, including the MCB - it must be something about my posture or body shape. I have to wear bags crossbody (or shrug my shoulder) to keep a bag in place. Though I have found that the heavier the bag, the better it'll stay on one shoulder.

If other bags or purses stay on when you carry them over one shoulder, you should be fine with the MCB, as well. If other bags slip off, the MCB probably will as well.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a review somewhere saying the PCSB was rather floppy and stuff would sort of fall out the top when you opened the zipper. I think that may have been an earlier model, though. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I love my MCB but have cut off the plastic strap piece. For a had this small the soft strap is fine.

I do have an ultrasuede strap but almost feels too bulky against the think soft strap. Have therefore hardly used it.
    I second what Perseffect has said, both about the plastic strap piece and the Ultrasuede wrap. I find the bare strap perfectly comfortable on my MCB–which I tend to wear cross-body most of the time.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably bigger than you need/want, but another possibility is the Parental Unit, as it has lots of built-in pockets and ways to configure the interior into multiple small divided areas. But much bigger than the MCB, anyway.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think that would be too big. I need a small-ish bag for an event where I will be doing a lot of walking.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Probably bigger than you need/want, but another possibility is the Parental Unit, as it has lots of built-in pockets and ways to configure the interior into multiple small divided areas. But much bigger than the MCB, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast