Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TB at the gym?

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB at the gym?

After buying two substantial bags (S19 and A30) plus a number of accessories in the last two months, I am now contemplating yet more TB applications (stop me now!). I am curious what different set ups (including accessories) people use for workout/gym bags. I am currently using my A30 but it seems a bit overkill. Here are the things I'd like to accommodate for normal "workout at work" days:

workout clothing (ranging from shorts and a T-shirt to tights and two layers on top, depending on the season)
    socks, shoes, sports bra, and underwear
    microfiber travel towel x2 (one for my body, one for my hair)
    large hairbrush
    running shoes in all fabric A30 end pocket cube
    toiletry 3-1-1 bag with shower stuff
    waist belt with small water bottles
    GPS watch, iPod, mini flashlight
    Some snacks

Right now I have the little things in the PCSB inside the main compartment of the A30 (but again, a bit overkill for an everyday gym bag and I have way too much in there now--definitely more than listed above).

Some things I'd like:
    1. Place to put sweaty clothing without it getting too nasty in a couple of hours
    2. Ability to carry easily with S19 and SCB (my current EDCs)
    3. Ability to organize the small stuff

Any and all ideas are welcome!
    A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what about the NFTD? Smaller, cute. Also, I LOVE the SS laundry bag! I use the pool, and wear my suit from home. So into the "clean" side of the laundry (read about it) I put underwear while going to the gym. After the pool, when I get dressed, I use the other side (black drawstring end" for my wet bathing suit. When I can I use towels from the gym. If I use mine, it'll go into an ordinary plastic bag.

My gym bag itself is not TB.
    Last edited by marytattoo; 05-29-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: H

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to go to a gym (stopped due to injuries) - I used a large shop bag. I went before work, so I wore my gym clothes going to the gym. Carried work clothes (my office casual) in the LSB. After gym, gym clothes went into the LSB.

LSB stayed in the trunk of my car until I got home. I am fortunate in that my sweat and thus my gym clothes do not stink bad. But I always washed my LSB when I got home in the evening. Hang it upside down and and it will be dry and ready in the morning. However, I have several LSB, and I always packed the bag in the evenings to avoid morning forgetfullness.

I packed LSB:

Dress shoes + cheapo flipflop to use in the gym shower in a #4 travel stuff sack (or repurposed grocery plastic bag) in one of the side pockets.

Toiletries, comb and a bottle of water in the other side pocket (I don't wear make-up).

1 large towel, work clothes and a roll of paper towels + bottle of spray disinfectant in the main compartment. The latter are to clean the machines - many of the people just left their gunk on them and the gym staff did not exactly rush to clean them. I carried the roll of paper towels + disinfectant in one of those freebie promo bags that cinch close or grocery plastic bags. Also carried trash bags to collect the dirty paper towels I used.

Now I go to yoga/pilates - still use a large shop bag. Similar set up, except no more carrying paper towels + disinfectant and the yoga towel I carry is larger. I go after work. I change at the yoga club, carry my work clothes home in the LSB. The pockets are generally empty, unless I carry my Side Effect (leave my EDC in the car trunk) into the club. The Side Effect fit nicely in the pocket of the LSB.
    Last edited by Walker; 05-29-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailrunner -- what size shoes do you wear? I ask, because the one Tom Bihn bag that has been my "miracle gym bag" has been the Packing Cube Backpack for the Aeronaut.

The trick is to use the bottom compartment to stash your shoes. It ensures that your shoes will be separate from the rest of your stuff.

You sound like you have various packing cubes and whatnot; I'd play around with the configuration to see how you can pack the main compartment. The smaller stuff, you can clip onto the O-ring with a strap.

The amusing part is that, as much of a fan as I am of the Packing Cube Backpack, my love affair is with the Tri-Star/Western Flyer model, NOT the Aeronaut model. I've never liked the bottom compartment because if it's empty, your backpack winds up looking really funky.

It was really a lightbulb moment when I realized I could fit my running shoes in there. Then everything fell into place!

That said, it's the ONLY time I ever use it... but it sounds like you're an Aeronaut fan, so the Aeronaut PCBP will probably fit right into your collection!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @lani, my non-TB bag, a "sling" type bag, has that kind of bottom. (The bag is larger than the PCBP). I use the bottom for the shampoo/conditioner/soap/washcloth. If something accidentally comes open, the guck stays there. My main compartment has towel, hairdryer if I don't get a gym one, my SS laundry bag, a couple ordinary plastic bags, and while I'm swimming, my clothes. In the summer, I wear flip flops so they can be worn in the shower. In the winter, the flip flops go into the gym bag while I trudge through snow, and the shoes go in the locker with my bag.

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of interesting ideas to ponder. @Lani My shoes are US women's size 8.5--you think they would fit? They easily fit in the A30 end pocket cube but don't know how that compares. I had no idea the PCBP was so big. @marytatoo I've been eyeing the SS laundry bag--would a pair of shorts, bra, socks, and T-shirt and two wet microfiber towels fit in there? NFTD is an interesting idea...
    A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, it's one more reason I'm still hoping TB will come out with a large Packing Cube Shoulder Bag that is essentially the size of our current PCSB. Because it's a lot easier to sling that around like a gym bag than to carry it vertically with a backpack strap.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Lots of interesting ideas to ponder. @Lani My shoes are US women's size 8.5--you think they would fit? They easily fit in the A30 end pocket cube but don't know how that compares. I had no idea the PCBP was so big.
    My shoes are women's 7.5 and they fit fine. You will want to stack them on top of each other, laces together (soles apart) where the toes on one shoe meet the back of the other (does that make sense)? I think they will snuggle in better that way.

Also, if you're wearing Hokas, it might get a bit tight in there... I'd play around and see how the fit is if you have a chance to try one (if you're planning an order anyway, you can get one, and always send it back).

You can also take measurements of your shoes stacked, and see if they fit the dimensions of that bottom compartment.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Lots of interesting ideas to ponder. @Lani My shoes are US women's size 8.5--you think they would fit? They easily fit in the A30 end pocket cube but don't know how that compares. I had no idea the PCBP was so big. @marytatoo I've been eyeing the SS laundry bag--would a pair of shorts, bra, socks, and T-shirt and two wet microfiber towels fit in there? NFTD is an interesting idea...
    Whether they'd for depends on your build. I am plus size. I easily fit my suit and washcloth. My towel isn't microfiber so it wouldn't fit. But I already carry underwear in it, and shorts and a T would fit. So if you're not plus size you should be fine. At the very least take a plastic bag just in case.

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Walker I am also a night packer (or rather pack after unpacking from the previous time) because I am always rushing around like a madwoman in the mornings! I was thinking about getting some shop bags anyway (for other purposes) so I might easily try your system out. I am guessing I will prefer something for this purpose that closes completely just to contain the odor .

I much prefer to exercise first thing in the morning, but because of my schedule, sometimes I am running at lunchtime and sometimes at the end of the day. I don't always need the shower stuff depending on when I do it, but it is just easier not to unpack it and repack it.

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Lani I have Altras which are more clown-like but less high than the Hokas, so I hold out hope!

As you point out above, the one downside of the PCBP is that it would be tricky to carry with my S19.
    Last edited by trailrunner; 05-29-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB at the gym?

You could also try the Swift. It's a very useful all-purpose tote bag. If you're packing in a hurry and just want to throw everything into your bag, the Swift has the added benefit of having a bit more structure than the LSB and having more organizational options as it has 6 interior O-rings (including 2 in each zipper pocket). It also has a secure button closure that will prevent your stuff from falling out. Like the LSB, it will also accommodate stuff of various shapes and sizes, from large shoes to flatter items.

Oddly enough, the first bag i associate with "gym bag" is the Swift. I have the NFTD and PU (which others use) but I think the one that provides the most hassle-free packing experience for rushed individuals (like myself) is the Swift-- it's a "throw and go" bag if you KWIM. The only downside I can think of is that it looks like a giant basket i.e. not very sporty.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 05-29-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my WF PCBP as my gym bag, and I have been very happy with it. I put my running shoes in a zippered bag in the bottom, clothes in the middle, and hat, sunglasses, etc on top. Then I use the outer pocket for any toiletries type items. Either of the PCBP would work great I imagine; I just prefer the open design of the WF one. It is fantastic being able to completely unzip the bag to access what I need at the gym.

Here is a photo I had posted a while back of typical gym carry for me.

TB at the gym?-pcbp-jpg

One consideration though is this might be awkward to carry if you are already carrying a S19. A shop bag might be a good easy to carry alternative with your current carry set-up.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 05-29-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Indianapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpful picture NHWhikergal! Anyone know how a WF PCBP would fit in an A30 for travel?

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I don't have an A30, I don't know how it would fit fully packed in an A30. But if needed, the PCBP in dyneema can roll up fairly small, and I am guessing it would easily fit in a corner of an outside pocket or in an unused spot of the interior. When I was traveling recently, I fit a rolled up PCBP in the bottom section of one of the front Pilot pockets.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast