Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another "To Pilot or not to Pilot"?

Gíday from Toronto, Canada. Iím a first timer on the TB forums and hoping for some help (bag-wise). Iím considering the ĎPilotí as a replacement for an olí beater of a leather bag as a Ďpersonal itemí carry-on for travel however Iím a trifle concerned about its design. It needs to house the usual travel docs (passport, visas and tickets etc.); and carry 2 or 3 paperbacks, a small(ish) digital camera, headphones, and usually a pair of Merrell sandals (mens size 10). Also, I donít carry a laptop however my current bag holds an IPad and 2 or 3 file folders/magazines in a separate compartment that I would like to continue to do. My impression is that the Pilot only has one main compartment that you would need to fit all of this in? Are there separations within that compartment that would serve to separate the folders from the rest of the stuff? Would another bag fit my needs better?
    Many thanks for any insights you can provide!
    Cheers
    TD

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tumblin'Dice and welcome!
    It might help if you could meshure the hights of the stack of papers and magazines so that we could test if it all fits. Same goes for your smalish camera.
    The pilot has a top open whide as the back outer compartment. I have carried file folders and magazines in that pocket. My size paper is A4 but if you give some more details I try to replica your load and take some pictures.

HTH
    Ilkyway
    ďAnkh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.Ē

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum @Tumblin'Dice!

I think the Pilot should be fine to carry the stuff you need. For example, this is what I carry in mine:

In the main compartment, I carry a 14" laptop in a sleeve case, some file folders, mini First Aid Kit and a small booklet
    In the left compartment, I carry my Bose Soundlink Mini (in YSS), Laptop accessories (in 3DFOC) and Earphones/other digital adaptors in a long narrow case and a solar battery charger
    In the middle compartment, I carry my Contigo Mug
    In the right compartment, I carry my lunch, Compact Zoom Camera (Sony HX9V), pen, pencil, gum/cough lozenges and Bluetooth earpiece (in a Small Pouch).

What is the size of headphones were you planning to put in the Pilot?

Also, I see you are in T.O. If you want to see a Pilot in person, let me know and maybe we can meet up.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-09-2015 at 02:08 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... that's impressive what you fit into the Pilot!

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute. Is that orange dyneema I see?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet it is the color of the photo making Iberian look orange. The new color of dyneema will be TEAL--'cuz that is what i want!! (and, well, no, i have no power over these things, but...)

Forum Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tpnl and Ilkyway, thanks very much for the info and pic. They were very helpful. 'tpnl' thanks for your offer to see a 'live' sample. I talked to Customer Service and the dyneema version which is what I'm interested in, won't be available until likely mid-July. Their take on it is that getting shoes in there along with the other stuff may be problematic.
    Guess I have a month or so to think on it...

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Wait a minute. Is that orange dyneema I see?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry Holly - the pouches in the picture are Iberian Dyneema. There is no new colors like that coming out ... no siree, and definitely not in June ... look away .... these are not the colors you are looking for ...

Cheers! Cool
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozone View Post
    Wow... that's impressive what you fit into the Pilot!
    My Pilot is very full - but it fits. My criteria was to have a bag that fit all my electronics gear, personal stuff and lunch. Lunch was the hardest because it is bulky.

However, recently, I have also carried a PCSB in the back of my Pilot with 2 Double Carbiners in case I need to carry more and not want to have 2 separate bags. I just hook the Double Carbiner to the shoulder pad attachment points and piggy back it to my Pilot:

The above picture does not show the final configuration I used for connecting the 2 bags together but you get the picture (no pun intended). For each side, I finally used a single gatekeeper clip threaded through the webbing loop under the plastic attachment point as in the picture and connected the Double Carabiner to it directly (did not use the O-Ring or Triangle Hook).

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    My Pilot is very full - but it fits. My criteria was to have a bag that fit all my electronics gear, personal stuff and lunch. Lunch was the hardest because it is bulky.

However, recently, I have also carried a PCSB in the back of my Pilot with 2 Double Carbiners in case I need to carry more and not want to have 2 separate bags. I just hook the Double Carbiner to the shoulder pad attachment points and piggy back it to my Pilot:

The above picture does not show the final configuration I used for connecting the 2 bags together but you get the picture (no pun intended). For each side, I finally used a single gatekeeper clip threaded through the webbing loop under the plastic attachment point as in the picture and connected the Double Carabiner to it directly (did not use the O-Ring or Triangle Hook).

Cheers!
    That's a LOAD, then!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk