Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot...which shoulder strap.

Getting a Pilot for my wife to carry:
    13 MBA + charging cable
    2 Medium size hardcover books
    Water bottle
    Side effect
    Small pilot packing cube
    Headphones
    iPhone + cable and charger

Would the shoulder strap be uncomfortable or should I get her the beefier Absolute Strap?
    She is 5'4" and very thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot...which shoulder strap.

If I'm not carrying my 11" MBA, the Absolute Strap seems like overkill, but I really like it when I have my computer. Add in the two books and a full water bottle, and I would definitely want the Absolute, especially if I was carrying the bag for any distance (like on a .5 mile + walk).

Hope this helps!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always, always, always get the Absolute strap. You will hate yourself if you don't. I can feel the difference with my Ristretto with just an iPad and a small notebook.

Absolutely get the Absolute.

In addition, as a newbie you probably have other bags and the absolute strap will make then feel lighter too.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping to avoid the bulkiness of the AS but it seems that must be sacrificed for comfort...ok so now I have to pick color for Side Effect.
    Pilot will be aubergine/wasabi, same for SE?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    I was hoping to avoid the bulkiness of the AS but it seems that must be sacrificed for comfort...ok so now I have to pick color for Side Effect.
    Get what color you like! However, it looks like some new colors of things will be showing up Monday, so you might want to wait to order in case something new shows up in SEs...FWIW.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    I like the Op Tech Mini SOS strap. It has a slimmer profile for smaller bags. They make TBs Absolute Strap.

Amazon.com : OP/TECH USA Mini S.O.S. Strap - Black : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Get what color you like! However, it looks like some new colors of things will be showing up Monday, so you might want to wait to order in case something new shows up in SEs...FWIW.k
    How exciting! I ordered a Synapse 25 and I have not even received it yet and I already want to order more stuff Big Grin

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I like the Op Tech Mini SOS strap. It has a slimmer profile for smaller bags. They make TBs Absolute Strap.
    Good to know, thank you.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @solo, I concur with the opinions that you should get the Absolute Shoulder Strap if your wife will be carrying a computer in that bag. (I'm just under 5'4" tall). If you think that the Absolute Strap is too bulky, I have also been using the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap with the Pilot, but the Absolute Strap will work for a wide range of heavier bags. OP/TECH makes the Absolute Strap for Tom Bihn. The "mini" is their smaller strap version for cameras, with a straight strap which is narrower. Since it's a camera neck strap it isn't long enough to comfortably use for shoulder carry if the user is really tall, but should be just fine for your wife. (Tall people have been known to extend the mini strap ends by hooking an extra Double Carabiner Clip at each end.) A number of forum users use the Mini S.O.S. strap for smaller bags like the Co-Pilot and Pilot that can be used to carry loads heavy enough that you want the relief of this design (e.g. 10-15 pounds), but where you don't need the Absolute strap (which people use to tote around 50-60 pound loads).

If you want to see a comparison of the two straps, here's picture from my post (#52) on how to hack the Field Journal Notebook so you can attach a Mini S.O.S strap:

The mini strap is attached to the FJN with a section of the wider Absolute strap shown beside it. Sorry, I don't have a convenient similar picture handy of the straps connected to the Pilot.

The original poster asked about ways to adapt the FJN, which was also being used to carry a full art kit inside, so that an Absolute Strap could be used in place of the default FJN strap, and was advised by other forum users that the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap would be a better match.

Note that of the Tom Bihn strap options I think the Absolute Strap would be your best choice, and it could also be used with much larger bags. You could try the Absolute Strap, and if you find it too bulky, fall back on the OP/TECH Mini. If you get a Side Effect, and there's any chance that you might carry this along on an airplane flight, then I strongly recommend that you get a pair of Double Carabiner clips as described in this post (#105 in The new Side Effect thread), which shows how you can turn this into an airline seat pocket bag, among other uses. You can order them from the drop down Parts Menu or see them on the Knitting Tool Pouch page. (I use the size #2 Knitting Tool pouch to store various ethernet and Thunderbolt adapters for my 13" MacBook Air).

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-09-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a 13" MBA in a cache daily with an absolute strap on the smaller DLBC. I figured I'd throw in a strap + UV cord picture as well.

I cannot stress enough the magic of the absolute strap for almost any TB bag. You can fit way more into Tom's designs than you'd ever imagine, and it'll get heavy! My absolute strap jumps from bag to bag and has to be one of my most used products. I rotate the bags, but never skimp on the strap! I also have a version without clips for bags like the Imago and Parental Unit.

Pilot...which shoulder strap.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1433887761-814247-jpg

Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post

Amazon.com : OP/TECH USA Mini S.O.S. Strap - Black : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo

Great idea. Those are the same fantastic straps - just smaller. I have a Nikonians branded one for my camera and love it.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boyfriend's been carrying his Pilot for nine months now (usually containing his bulky laptop, portable monitor, paperwork, random tools, pop bottle, etc...), and while he says he's fine with the standard strap (and I urge him to take my absolute strap) he has made comments about the weight on his shoulder when carrying it for longer periods of time. I'd advocate for the absolute strap, but if she's not carrying the bag for long periods at a time, she'd probably be fine with the standard.

As far as a color for the SE - if your wife likes her bags to match, then go with aubergine! If it were me, I like a LITTLE contrast, but some continuity - I'd go with a ballistic SE in a color that compliments the aubergine (black or steel, for example).
    kindness is contagious.