Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

South Carolina, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Night Flight's foam pad while traveling?

Do y'all usually remove the foam pad from the center of the Night Flight so it's less rigid while traveling? Should I leave it in? Is there really a difference?

As my personal item on a flight it's usually loaded with my camera in an ape case in one end pocket, medical supplies in a CQPC in the other end. Middle containing, phone, charge cords, snacks/skittles, small notebook/pen.
    Aeronaut 45 & Night Flight TD - Aubergine / Wasabi
    Small Cafe Bag - Burnt Orange

San Pedro, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've forgotten that I can remove the padding so if be interested to see the responses to this. Does it change the pack ability of the NFTD?

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it out during test packing and have never looked back....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My NFTD is Dyneema and I generally leave the padded base in place to give it more rigidity.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    My NFTD is Dyneema and I generally leave the padded base in place to give it more rigidity.
    Good point! Mine is steel ballistic, so there's plenty of shape to it without the base. Squeezing in another packing cube is that much easier with it out. I put my NFTD to its paces because I've traveled on Allegiant with it as my only bag (AKA "personal item").
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like kkintea, if I'm using packing cubes I will generally take the liner out. However, if I'm just chucking a few items in on the fly*, the liner gives the bag structure that I appreciate. My NFTD is ballistic.

* as I was writing "chucking a few items" and "on the fly", I asked myself when on earth I ever chuck anything anywhere. I don't, so let's just say it's figurative chucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my last trip with the NFTD as my bag for all my clothes (4 changes including a jeans and long sweat pands) I took the liner out too. Mine is balistic too. I did not use packing cubes on that trip.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question. My NFTD is Dyneema. I've not removed the foam pad during test packing. Have not had an opportunity to use the bag yet. I have also wondered about removing the foam. Weight matters to me. Bulk/volume is also a consideration.

So are there any other Dyneema NFTD owners that can chime in here? What has been your experience? elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Great question. My NFTD is Dyneema. I've not removed the foam pad during test packing. Have not had an opportunity to use the bag yet. I have also wondered about removing the foam. Weight matters to me. Bulk/volume is also a consideration.

So are there any other Dyneema NFTD owners that can chime in here? What has been your experience? elisa
    When I removed the foam pad, the Dyneema NFTD had no inherent resilience/structure, and the main pocket sagged a lot. The analogy I originally used was "like Frieda's pet cat from the Peanuts comics."

http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...ghlight=frieda

That said, replacing the foam pad with several packing cubes does give back some structure, but I think overall, as the Dyneema NFTD is so light, keeping that foam pad helps me not to have to worry about positioning the packing cubes just so.

ETA: Sometimes on a return trip, I do not need the NFTD available on the flight, so in those cases I have sometimes removed the foam pad and collapsed the whole thing accordion-like into a cube and placed it in my checked baggage. It's great having that option, and the foam pad is easy to place into a suitcase (small, compact, soft).
    Last edited by GoStanford; 06-22-2015 at 03:18 PM.