Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Which bag

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which bag

I'm looking to buy a new bag. But I really don't know what is suitable.

I need a bag that I can carry my 15 inch retina macbook pro. I've got a Thule case for it but the worry is it won't have anything to attach it to, to keep it secure in a bag. I am currently using a slim incase bag. That has got a large padded pocket in so its good for keeping the laptop secure. Not sure I really want to buy a braincell or a cache.

Would be nice if the bag could carry everyday items. I don't carry a laptop everyday. But I sometimes have an iPad with me and various electrical items. Would be nice if I could fit a swimming bag in there as well. So swimsuit, lightweight towel and goggles.

I'm not sure my ideal bag is out there.
    The incase slim bag I have is good but its starting to show it's age. But its amazing what I can stuff into it! Which bag

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Silverlight and welcome!

Might you want to tell us a bit about your carrying habits? Are you looking at messengar bag style? Would you consider a backpack? Does it have to be office-chick?

I am not good on the messanger bag styles but otheres are great at thouse so if you might specfy a bit we can hit you with suggestions ;-)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I normally carry a backpack around, but I am open to a messenger style bag.

So normally I have the following in my bag

IPad, phone, wallet, walkman, swimming gear on the days I'm going swimming, lunchbox.

I normally don't carry my personal laptop around when I'm going to work. However there have been times in the past where I've taken my 14" laptop home from work. So it would be useful if a bag had space for it on those occasions.

I mainly carry my personal laptop around outside of work. So if I'm going away somewhere as an example.

I rarely carry two laptops around with me. The work laptop is a bit smaller than my macbook pro as well.

The bag doesn't really have to be professional looking for work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on what you want to carry, may I suggest:

Synapse 19. All around fabulous backpack. I don't have a laptop, but I think yours would fit. Perhaps someone who has one could verify this. On the off chance that it did not fit, the Synapse 25 will work.

Pilots. The Co-Pilot might be a tight squeeze, but the Pilot sounds perfect for the job.

If you get a TB bag, it is going to be very durable. Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like backpacks, then I think that one of the Synapses would fit the bill. The Pilot, IMO, is a bit too "office" looking and do very well with items like swimming gear.

If you are looking for a change and want a messenger, then my all time favorite is the Ego.

With either you'll probably want a cache. If you are "hard" on your equipment then you'll want a brain cell.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the previous suggestions of a Synapse, but the question is what size...?

I have a Synapse 19, and I think it would be too small on a day when you're carrying a heavier than average load: both laptops, other gadgets, swim gear, and lunch. I can't say for sure, but I imagine this would not be an issue for the Synapse 25.

Other considerations:
    • Is your lunchbox an actual rigid box, or is it a soft container? If it's a hard box, then it's going to make the fit that much tighter in either size bag.
    • How tall are you? Some taller people think the S19 looks awkwardly small on them, and automatically opt for the S25. The same can be said for smaller people wearing the S25.
    • If you decide on the S25 then you may then want to look into the Smart Alec as well. More capacity and $10 cheaper.

One last parting thought is don't worry which bag you buy b/c if you're like many of us on this forum, you'll buy the others soon enough

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a HUGE fan of backpacks, that as a disclaimer, I would go too ways with my suggestions, kind of mirroring AlaskaGirl and BradBod.

If you are sure you will want to buy one bag to rule them all, I'd suggest to go with either the Smart Alec or the Synapse 25 as you are on the saver side for Laptop, swimmgear and what else you might want to pack.
    The Brain Bag is, by the way, the best value back as far as money/vomlume goes. I have no personal experiances withthe Brain Bag but I have read so much usage related love on this forum and my Husband swears by this pack too.

For the three big ones:
    Synapse25 is the best organiced and while uniquily looking still very good in bleninding in. Downside: due to the many pockets odd shaped large items wound fitt.

Smart Alec most versitile as you can go from Melones (hi Janine!) to office stuff and may or may not ad organisation via pouches as you like.

Brain Bag even more room so one bagging even on travel even with a laptop does not have to be totally pureistic. Organisation whise, it is quite good too. You have not as many outer pockets as with the Synapse but you get two main compartments to seperate say swim gear from office gear.The straps at the side give you the ability to sinch it down if not fully packed. Downside: it is a larg pack and when fully packed it is quite deep. So deep, that if packed to the grills it might even not fit some airline sizers.

If you would consider two packs I'd start with the S19. Great pack, very organized and for your non laptop days most likely more than enough. You get a feeling for what you get and have a pack that can handle a lot. And than I'd pair that, whean you think you need more space down the road with one of the three above. I keep saying that but for his versatailaty I'd suggest the Smart Alec as a companion. That way you would have small and highly organices and roomy with loats of options.

My two cents
    Ilkyway

PS: I once more nearly talked me into getting a Brain Bag... Well who am I kidding, one day I will get one.

PPS: as for size/person vs size/bag my thoughts I am tall (6,2) and wear the S19 as well as the SA and the S25. Dorayme has made a great case (with pictures) for short people wearing big bags. I advice to go by carry need and content to decide on a bag size over looks. Compfort is a concern of cause but regarding that there is no way but trying for your self. We have had all possible opinions regarding compfort/peoples built and everybody just needs to try that for him/herself.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concerning Dorayme, you might want to check out the new stickie under General Discussion - there are links to bag discussions.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be noted that the Synapse and the Smart Alec are made of different materials.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Synapse 19 might be tight if you have a 15" MBP but the 25 would be ideal me thinks.
    The great thing about the Synapse is that they do not scream out that there might be valuable computers and stuff inside.
    I carry a 13" MBP in the 19 a lot but would not try the 15" for myself.

I didn't really understand your comment about the one large pocket keeping the computer secure though?
    Secure from what? Theft or banging into other things?

I have found the Brain Cell or Cache nice as you get the one that fits the machine you actually have and there is little wasted space if the built-in pocket is way too big for your needs.

But to each their own.

South of France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Silverlight,

I currently carry everyday in my bag more or less the same stuff as you (or let's say volume-equivalent), and my bag is the Synapse 25. It's actually the first time I use it as an EDC (I tend to use it more for ultra-light travelling). It works really great: everything fits (including my 15 inch Retina Macbook) and it looks nice (not too flashy (but I do have a black one) or not too hiking-style) and it does not look bulky either.
    I do not have a Synapse 19 but I assume that it would be too small for a 15 inch Mac Book pro retina + all the other stuff you have to carry. Unless you want your bag to look super full. If you go for Synapse, I would really advise the 25.

The only item i do struggle with is my lunch box: I don't know yet how to make it fit well as, as Ilkyway already mentioned, odd-shaped items are more difficult to put in the Synapse. Maybe it is about finding the perfect lunch box. I'm working on it

In that sense, the Smart Alec might work better: you don't have to play Tetris with your bag to make sure that everything fits. The first time I came on the Tom Bihn website I knew I wanted a Synapse and I did not even look at the other bags, but now that I know more about the different bags, I might have bought a Smart Alex instead. Although the synapse - I think - looks much nicer than the Smart Alec (but I do not own a Smart Alec).

So I would definitely say Smart Alec or Synapse 25.

Good luck!

Melhoune

South of France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to add something: although I already had one, I did buy the TB cache for my Mac when I bought the synapse, and I do not regret it. It fits perfectly in the bag and the quality of the cache is great. And I love that I can attach it in my bag.